The QUICK question thread.....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Steel harder than aluminium alloys (and more round than moulded carbon); 19mm (sometimes 22mm) crank spindles = bigger bearings; bmx riders give less of a fuck so don't whine as much when their bikes are creaky.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you've watched much BMX racing.....I don't think you'll see many landings with big forces...its all pumped or smooth. MORE about the distances and conditions, like I say. Most BMX is in short bursts, not lots of them (compared to MTB riding) and in more favourable conditions (asphalt or groomed, drained gravel)
I think what we need is a big bmx built up and taken on some long mountain bike rides. I agree the ongoing long distance repeat thumping that riding a bike over long distances is likely the bigger issue. Now I'm wondering if the leverage of bigger wheels back through the frame may be flexing things around too?

I and a friend had a Norco 125 a long one ago. We both rode ours everywhere including as our commuting bikes (neither of us had a car) and both went off road a lot. For my friend it was his only bike for years, maybe 5. The frame was aluminium and ran a bmx BB and crank. I don't recall it being much of an issue for either of us. So long ago though that I wouldn't have a reliable memory of it unless it was an extreme pain in the arse.

I may have been lucky enough to love near a bmx track as a teenager...it's certainly not dh rough, but it's only super smooth for a select few.

Also street and park riding isn't light on the gear.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I thought they did. Bought tyres, it was added into the cart when I specified Australia, I think....been 8 months
Thanks, have gone through the checkout process but still can't see it mentioned directly - however they obviously remove the 19% EU VAT. Will sleep on it but might just take a stab anyway and roll the dice. Either way it'll take two months to get here so any customs-related pain can be delayed that way.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I remember how many bb’s I went through on my kona cowan, god damn that was a nightmare. Didn’t matter what bb went in, shimano XT, truvative, some cane creek jobby, they all got trashed pretty quickly.
Being a numpty kid learning to ride DJ’s and park will do that though. Like two a year, forever destroying parts. Headsets too. Sealed, unsealed, exxy or cheap. All failed.

Now shimano threaded BB’s last forever on my squishy shredwagon of doom.

Steel harder than aluminium alloys (and more round than moulded carbon); 19mm (sometimes 22mm) crank spindles = bigger bearings; bmx riders give less of a fuck so don't whine as much when their bikes are creaky.
Remember the spanish BB standard that quickly got discarded because the bearings are too small? Damn you fly bikes and your planned obsolescence.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks, have gone through the checkout process but still can't see it mentioned directly - however they obviously remove the 19% EU VAT. Will sleep on it but might just take a stab anyway and roll the dice. Either way it'll take two months to get here so any customs-related pain can be delayed that way.
Definitely. YMMV and my memory is...something something at the best of times. If you can't get it here, and/or adding 10% tax still works out cheap, go nuts.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Remember the spanish BB standard that quickly got discarded because the bearings are too small? Damn you fly bikes and your planned obsolescence.
They also coincided with people thinking that Liam Fahy-Hampton and chainless riding were the bomb. What a time to be alive.
Definitely. YMMV and my memory is...something something at the best of times. If you can't get it here, and/or adding 10% tax still works out cheap, go nuts.
Yeah; $1700 here, ~$1300 delivered from BC.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Chain less isn't cool anymore?

I remember how many bb’s I went through on my kona cowan, god damn that was a nightmare. Didn’t matter what bb went in, shimano XT, truvative, some cane creek jobby, they all got trashed pretty quickly.
Being a numpty kid learning to ride DJ’s and park will do that though. Like two a year, forever destroying parts. Headsets too. Sealed, unsealed, exxy or cheap. All failed.

I've ever obliterated a bottom bracket. I've worn them out of a long period of time, but never hopped on and gone "fuck that is rooted!". I did fuck one headset up real good with a huge front wheel flat landing. It was a FSA pig dh.

And all heil the mighty Shimano bottom bracket! Why can't there is be of such greatness?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I think what we need is a big bmx built up and taken on some long mountain bike rides. I agree the ongoing long distance repeat thumping that riding a bike over long distances is likely the bigger issue. Now I'm wondering if the leverage of bigger wheels back through the frame may be flexing things around too?

I and a friend had a Norco 125 a long one ago. We both rode ours everywhere including as our commuting bikes (neither of us had a car) and both went off road a lot. For my friend it was his only bike for years, maybe 5. The frame was aluminium and ran a bmx BB and crank. I don't recall it being much of an issue for either of us. So long ago though that I wouldn't have a reliable memory of it unless it was an extreme pain in the arse.

I may have been lucky enough to love near a bmx track as a teenager...it's certainly not dh rough, but it's only super smooth for a select few.

Also street and park riding isn't light on the gear.
I reckon there's a few of us that were lucky enough to love near a bmx track as teenagers.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah bmx is heaps easier on parts :rolleyes:

BMX bb’s have larger bearings.
Steels much stronger than aluminium, and isn’t as soft so tighter fits are possible.

Dirt jumping and street isn’t easy on bearings, the shock loading and the G’s you pull on the transitions are larger than your giving credit. Sit and spin doesn’t equal quicker wear. It actually gives better wear because the load is spread more evenly.
That YouTube video made my ankles, and knees, and hips, and wrists, and back hurt.

Shimano bbs for the win. I've got an Ultegra bb that is still running smooth after 4 years and god knows how many 1000kms. Rotor make a very very good bsa30 bb. Avoid Hope bbs, they are overpriced pieces of creaky shit.

Ah yes Spanish bbs. Curse you for reminding me.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Our bmx track had a lot of additional parkland and backed on to paddocks. It was a popular party area. Though I fear an error in my post...it should .ore accurately read attempt to love...because the few times I tried in that location I was shot down in flames.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Our bmx track had a lot of additional parkland and backed on to paddocks. It was a popular party area. Though I fear an error in my post...it should .ore accurately read attempt to love...because the few times I tried in that location I was shot down in flames.
Perhaps it's time to get back down there, and try your luck.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Way way back, I'm talking mid/late 80's, had a friend who raced BMX and was pretty good. Went along with him one day to the 'early bird show' to watch him race. Man, poor old Marty Monster copped it from all the kids.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have a 3x Shimano M960 XTR drivetrain on an old bike. Is there any elegant way of going 1x with this retaining everything but the chainring?

BCD seems like it might be 102 which is a bit obscure, but maybe the whole affair would just look ridiculous.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a 3x Shimano M960 XTR drivetrain on an old bike. Is there any elegant way of going 1x with this retaining everything but the chainring?

BCD seems like it might be 102 which is a bit obscure, but maybe the whole affair would just look ridiculous.
Yes...but it will involve a chain guide and possibly grinding the granny tabs off the crank.