Newly Released Bikes General

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
New Stumpy actually looks pretty good. I like that they've brought it back into trail territory with reduced travel and the flex pivot setup rather than just keeping on pushing further towards enduro like the Sight/Meta TR etc which would previously have been peers. Makes for a nice and quite linear model transition from Epic>Epic Evo>Stumpy>Stumpy Evo>Enduro

Still a Spec though so the pricing will be bananas but it does look good.

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/2021-specialized-stumpjumper-pro-review/

What were people saying about silly changes to reduce micro grams? Abandoning the way fsr smooths out chunks of trail to save grams (or as I see it for the sake of presenting something new and saving a few $$$ at the factory) on a short travel bike seems a strange idea to me.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
What were people saying about silly changes to reduce micro grams? Abandoning the way fsr smooths out chunks of trail to save grams (or as I see it for the sake of presenting something new and saving a few $$$ at the factory) on a short travel bike seems a strange idea to me.
TBH I'd be sceptical as to how much it is a purely gram chasing exercise vs trying to take advantage of the leaf spring effect to create something a bit more poppy and lively.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
TBH I'd be sceptical as to how much it is a purely gram chasing exercise vs trying to take advantage of the leaf spring effect to create something a bit more poppy and lively.
If that was the case they would be raving about the improved liveliness of the rear end.

For the last couple of seasons this seems to have been the big selling model (locally). Lots of peeps using them like a mini free ride bike. Shit the big local dealer even tried to convince me to buy one to replace my stolen pivot m4x! So will be interesting to see if this ends up as an ongoing warranty issue through a bit of poorly pitched sales.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If that was the case they would be raving about the improved liveliness of the rear end.
130mm of Rx-Tuned rear travel delivers a ride feel that is lively and balanced, yet capable of absorbing big hits unlike any other mid-travel trail bike. Thanks to the combination of the progressive leverage ratio and mildly progressive spring rate what you feel on the trail is a playful, snappy ride for the first two-thirds of travel, then - thanks to the increasing spring rate - excellent bump force management and resistance to bottoming in big events. Believe it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I stand ready to be wrong.
Ahah, I'm sure it's both - if they only saved 100g by taking out both the Horst pivot and a bunch of "lazy carbon" ( :rolleyes:) and didn't get a (perceived) net benefit in trail character then it would be a pointless exercise. Anyway, I will never find out first hand so ¯\(ツ)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ahah, I'm sure it's both - if they only saved 100g by taking out both the Horst pivot and a bunch of "lazy carbon" ( :rolleyes:) and didn't get a (perceived) net benefit in trail character then it would be a pointless exercise. Anyway, I will never find out first hand so ¯\(ツ)
I'm going to have to buy one just so I know.

I'd actually like to see a few more options in that sort of travel for mini freeride play bikes. It's a fun space for aggressive berm railing days of hucking. I'm very pleased with the Scout and the spitfire looks good.

PJO

in me vL comy
New Stumpy actually looks pretty good. I like that they've brought it back into trail territory with reduced travel and the flex pivot setup rather than just keeping on pushing further towards enduro like the Sight/Meta TR etc which would previously have been peers. Makes for a nice and quite linear model transition from Epic>Epic Evo>Stumpy>Stumpy Evo>Enduro

Still a Spec though so the pricing will be bananas but it does look good.

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/2021-specialized-stumpjumper-pro-review/
Yeah, but they totally stuffed up the paint job, that band around the downtube needs to be parallel to the ground not perpendicular to the tube. What were they thinking on a $12k bike!?!?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm going to have to buy one just so I know.

I'd actually like to see a few more options in that sort of travel for mini freeride play bikes. It's a fun space for aggressive berm railing days of hucking. I'm very pleased with the Scout and the spitfire looks good.
Same here, I just don't want a 15kg 125mm bike that's a pig to ride uphills (e.g. Optic)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Behold the $12k Single Pivot.

With no rear pivot on the one-piece carbon swingarm, the Stumpjumper instead relies on in-built flex through the carbon fibre seatstays. This sees it effectively morphing into a single-pivot suspension layout, with a rocker link connecting the top of the seatstays to the mainframe, while an extension link drives the rear shock.

With S-Sizing. Here we go, S3 = Medium with some other faff to make it sound innovative.
Sigh.......... Can't we just have a new wheel and hub standard like any other year?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't how this happened, but at $6900 for an SLX build and carbon frame, its not that overpriced...
$900 more than an aluminum Slash 8 with GX. Seems like a really good price compared to usual Big-S offerings (either that or Trek are just getting too expensive)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
12SP SLX is also quietly a bit of a game changer in that respect - would buy SLX over GX any day and you come away with $$$ left in pocket to upgrade the suspension if you so desire.
Anyone want to buy my whole GX/Guide RS group with an XO1 shifter? To fund an SLX with XT shifter group purchase....

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You obviously never had one of those rear ends let go on you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I did not. 2011 model which was the last of the 26” wheeled variants. I bought it used and “punished” it with my 120kg girth for several years with no issues. We’re they known for issues in the swing arm?