BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
I have the shingleback 5 bike rack and my mate got the single trail 5 bike rack. Ultimately, they both do the same thing - shuttle your bike with ease. The reason I went with the shingleback was the weight. At 27kg I can carry the rack from the garage to my Prado. The single trail is around 40kg which makes it really heavy for one person or a two person job.
I can't disagree about the weight, but speed of loading and stability are my priorities, particularly as mine stays on the ute.

moorey

call me Mia
40kg! Wow… Rules such things out for those of us driving normal cars.
'Normal cars'? Isn't this Haakers?
I dispute the numbers. I've picked mates 5x shingleback and my 5x singletrail, and maybe 5kg difference. if even 10kg at the rack is breaking it for your car, please don't load numerous heavy bikes on there and hit the slightest bump.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
40kg + 60-70 kgs of bikes is a fair bit to hang off the back of a 1000-1200kg car.

My setup is 14kg which with two bikes at say max 30kgs is plenty. I can notice a small change in steering behaviour at that weight.

moorey

call me Mia
40kg + 60-70 kgs of bikes is a fair bit to hang off the back of a 1000-1200kg car.

My setup is 14kg which with two bikes at say max 30kgs is plenty. I can notice a small change in steering behaviour at that weight.
Spoiler…your microcar isn’t the target audience for a steel 5 bike upright carrier.

More my point, single figure difference in rack weight isn’t breaking the bank on either, if you’re carrying up to 100kg in bikes.

Haakon

Spoiler…your microcar isn’t the target audience for a steel 5 bike upright carrier.

More my point, single figure difference in rack weight isn’t breaking the bank on either, if you’re carrying up to 100kg in bikes.
1200kgs isn't a microcar, its just not a lardarse urban assault vehicle. And no, thats what I said - normal cars needn't apply for the giant 5 bike racks. I'd just throw the trailer on if i needed to cart that many.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
1200kgs isn't a microcar, its just not a lardarse urban assault vehicle. And no, thats what I said - normal cars needn't apply for the giant 5 bike racks. I'd just throw the trailer on if i needed to cart that many.
I think you need to redefine your "normal"

I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet it's be a close call that there are more hiluxes on our roads than Alfas. And definitely more dual cab utes than niche little euro sedans.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia

I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet it's be a close call that there are more hiluxes on our roads than Alfas. And definitely more dual cab utes than niche little euro sedans.

He’ll agree. He’s just furious that it’s the case.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Did you buy Dale's Battlefrog?

Haakon

Normal isn’t the same as common… And I’m talking size, not brand.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Normal isn’t the same as common… And I’m talking size, not brand.
adjective

conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

I'd still say a Hilux is more usual than an Alfa. And a lot more usual than you'd like. Larger cars dominate in our highly americanized country, it's probably not for the best but it's definitely a thing.

I don't disagree with it being the wrong direction for our planet. I just disagree with your particular viewpoint that 4x4 utes are useless and shouldn't exist, and that needs to be prodded and poked