BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
adjective

conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

I'd still say a Hilux is more usual than an Alfa. And a lot more usual than you'd like. Larger cars dominate in our highly americanized country, it's probably not for the best but it's definitely a thing.

I don't disagree with it being the wrong direction for our planet. I just disagree with your particular viewpoint that 4x4 utes are useless and shouldn't exist, and that needs to be prodded and poked

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
They're not useless, they are very good at what they're designed for. They just suck at what most of them are actually used for...

Anyhoo, this wasnt a 4WD bashing exercise (totalling buying an Ineos Grenadier when i win lotto...), just that I was surprised at how much these big racks weight and how they wont work on a "normal" sized car.

moorey

call me Mia
They're not useless, they are very good at what they're designed for. They just suck at what most of them are actually used for...

Anyhoo, this wasnt a 4WD bashing exercise (totalling buying an Ineos Grenadier when i win lotto...), just that I was surprised at how much these big racks weight and how they wont work on a "normal" sized car.
Point is....there's lighter ones....I see them on the trails all the time with $50k or more of bikes swaying around wildly and banging together.

Haakon

Point is....there's lighter ones....I see them on the trails all the time with $50k or more of bikes swaying around wildly and banging together.
Yeah, they always look sketchy... Two bikes off the back is enough I think, any more than that on anything under 1500kgs better to get a trailer.

The Clio was bang on 1000kgs and it handled two on the back ok. Any more would stress out the tow bar mounting id suspect.

Haakon

You see what you want to see. So do I. I think maybe 10% of people I know fall into the category.
Yeah but you live in the sticks. I live in hipster/bogan central burbs and the only ones around here seeing dirt are the bogan ones with lift kits and pig hunting dog cage on the back.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah but you live in the sticks. I live in hipster/bogan central burbs and the only ones around here seeing dirt are the bogan ones with lift kits and pig hunting dog cage on the back.
Exactly, and you look down on the whole country based on what you see in your neighbourhood.

Haakon

I think the market for tow bar mounted platform racks is pretty small in Australia for cars, as opposed to 4WDs. Most people seem to go for roof rack carriers as they dont tend to have tow bars on mid and small sized cars. I've sure as hell not seen another Giulietta in Australia with a tow bar, yet the diesel version at least is a pretty popular caravan towing rig in europe.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I think the market for tow bar mounted platform racks is pretty small in Australia for cars, as opposed to 4WDs. Most people seem to go for roof rack carriers as they dont tend to have tow bars on mid and small sized cars. I've sure as not seen another Giulietta in Australia with a tow bar, yet the diesel version at least is a pretty popular caravan towing rig in europe.
Is it a caravan for one?