COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'm not an expert on COVID nor on mental health and suicide, however I have had my own personal experiences with the latter. I agree with PoSM that the triggers between individuals vary so much, where one may thrive and another succumb, it's near impossible to tailor a response that will work for everyone. When people argue that more people have died from 'X' opposed to COVID it's always important to ask whether that is because of our efforts or in spite of them, sure things like quarantine and the vaccine rollout could have been handled better and sure more could be done to address mental health, heart disease, <inset malaise of the population> in the main stream media but the major difference I see between these is that suicide isn't contagious. I don't know if this belongs here or in the black dog thread but personally I find discussing my mental health issues to be counter productive and I loathe the RUOK style message that for one day of the year all of a sudden everyone gives a shit and then once you've checked in and it's off your chest, you're all better we'll go straight back to how it was for all the other days.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is. You could be right. I don’t know. As my conversation with Dean progressed, it became clear he’s more pissed about having to spend 14 days in quarantine. He’s just been paid to party and ride OS for the last 5 months, so to me, it just comes off as entitled and insensitive to what most of his fans are dealing with. He then shifted it to more people dying from suicide than Covid, and IMHO, that’s a ridiculous point in this context.
That’s my take on his post anyway.
I am all for people being themselves, but his actions over the past 18 months don't point to someone with a good grip on life.
I don't buy the whole outfits and hairstyles 'to bring smiles' thing he is running with either.

He may be nice, friendly and a good bike rider but this whole whinge about lockdown puts him right in the LTYH category or the Fuckwit thread or whatever other unpleasantly descriptive thread I can find.

moorey

call me Mia
I am all for people being themselves, but his actions over the past 18 months don't point to someone with a good grip on life.
I don't buy the whole outfits and hairstyles 'to bring smiles' thing he is running with either.

He may be nice, friendly and a good bike rider but this whole whinge about lockdown puts him right in the LTYH category or the Fuckwit thread or whatever other unpleasantly descriptive thread I can find.
I think his (misguided) heart is in the right place…but he’s just too entitled and tone deaf on this matter to realise it’s bullshit and actually doing more harm than the intended good.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Sigh. Mum tells me Dad is refusing to get the vaccine - doesn’t trust it. Super disappointed and surprised :(
My dad's just been hospitalized after the jab, still no ragerts.

He hasn't been a well man for a while, and the nausea tipped him over the edge so he couldn't stomach anything for a couple of days and didn't have anyone looking after him till sister had a garbled conversation with him and got worried. He's good now, and seems pretty happy to not be dicing with real covids unprotected in his condition.

Any real side effect issues are a minute fraction of a chance in comparison to the real deal, and the hospitalization stats speak for themselves with regards to protection.

I know most people aren't going to be swayed at this stage, but the old saying is still applicable - you only vaccinate the kids (family members) you want to keep. I'd get on his case if it was me...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Mental health…absolutely. The numbers support that.
He is addressing suicide rates though. And has NFI.
I must admit that I was surprised at the reports of fewer suicides. But when measured against the huge surge in calls to the mental health services, it really serves to show that those services are working, and that people are finding less terminal resolutions.

We're crossing into Black Dog & Shit thread territory with a few recent posts, but here goes anyway.... From a personal perspective, despite the difficulty of the last 18+ months, I haven't sunk to the depths of suicidal thoughts. However, about 12 years ago I did reach that point, and it scared the shit out of me. The problems this time have been the underlying knowledge of the bad places my brain can go to, and the severely limited access to normal social channels to combat the potential to go back to those bad places.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This response to the mandate stuff is so baffling to me... "Yeah I'd totally wear a helmet if they were optional but I WILL NOT WEAR ONE COMPULSORILY"
"I was sitting on the fence, I was sort of contemplating it," she said.

"Then, once this [mandate] came into play, it made me very angry.

"That is when I started doing research."
Uh oh...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My dad's just been hospitalized after the jab, still no ragerts.

He hasn't been a well man for a while, and the nausea tipped him over the edge so he couldn't stomach anything for a couple of days and didn't have anyone looking after him till sister had a garbled conversation with him and got worried. He's good now, and seems pretty happy to not be dicing with real covids unprotected in his condition.

Any real side effect issues are a minute fraction of a chance in comparison to the real deal, and the hospitalization stats speak for themselves with regards to protection.

I know most people aren't going to be swayed at this stage, but the old saying is still applicable - you only vaccinate the kids (family members) you want to keep. I'd get on his case if it was me...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Mum told me he’s always been that way, was news to me. She had to put her foot down when my brother and I were kids to get the usual jabs for measles and whatever.
He had an odd upbringing with some weird German parents, he has some hangovers from it and I guess this is one.
The bit that confuses me is that he isn’t dumb (although not formally educated) and loves technology.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This response to the mandate stuff is so baffling to me... "Yeah I'd totally wear a helmet if they were optional but I WILL NOT WEAR ONE COMPULSORILY"

Uh oh...
I got as far as that line in that article and my auto response was to close the window. Fucking deadshit.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Uh oh...
FFS… If you’re not an epidemiologist or a virus expert etc, your “research” means jack shit.
So many morons.

moorey

call me Mia

Uh oh...
The ABC really shouldn’t just be reposting stories from The Shovel.