All Mountain Tyres

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I've got the Specialized Eliminator T7 on the back yaeh it goes well even over winter in the wet it was not that bad definetly likes the dry though. I do have problems with my front Maxxis Minion DHF, TR, EXO, 3C Maxx Terra, I am waiting for it to wear down before I replace it with a Specialized Butcher T7. I had a Crossking on the front last summer.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Wrong answer @Wake Jake. You have now drawn this tyre saga out till mid 2024 ;)
I've already loaded the cart with a Kryptotal Rear Soft Enduro for the front and a Xynotal Soft Enduro for the rear. I've heard nothing but good reviews about their grip, rolling speed and durability. They're a bit of a chunt to mount but once they do, they don't leak or burp. The DH casing seems a bit overkill right now.

ikebay

Cannon Fodder
Hi all, first time Rotorburner here, chasing tyre experience/advice for the Gap Creek here in Brisbane? I'm looking for a 26" front tyre to replace the Maxxis Holy Roller on my STP for trail rides with a mate, as it doesn't seem to be offering much in the way of grip. I'm more a dirt jumper than a mountain biker and don’t really know how to describe trail conditions, nor do I have many points of reference in MTB tyres, so I figured I’d try to make use of the local/technical knowledge on here—any and all input is appreciated! Many thanks in advance (and hope this thread's appropriate for this type of question).

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hi all, first time Rotorburner here, chasing tyre experience/advice for the Gap Creek here in Brisbane? I'm looking for a 26" front tyre to replace the Maxxis Holy Roller on my STP for trail rides with a mate, as it doesn't seem to be offering much in the way of grip. I'm more a dirt jumper than a mountain biker and don’t really know how to describe trail conditions, nor do I have many points of reference in MTB tyres, so I figured I’d try to make use of the local/technical knowledge on here—any and all input is appreciated! Many thanks in advance (and hope this thread's appropriate for this type of question).
I've ridden over there for years, I like using an Onza Ibex on the front but a lot of people are running the Minion DHF but I personally think it's over-tyred for a place like that. The high roller II works well and many of the XC mobs run the Ardents, the Continental Trail kings aren't bad either. It gets fairly loose in the corners when it gets dusty over there in the dry spells, you need something that can hang on in the corners.

Jabubu

Does anyone have experience of both the Kryptotal Fr and Re as a front tyre? The Re most resembles a DHR II and the ramps look like it could be a bit faster rolling.

slowmick

38-39"
@Jabubu if i ever get them fitted i will let you know. I bought the OEM ones from Bike Discount based on the various reviews on places like Flow MTB and from @Wake Jake posts about his 141. Jake is a big unit and seems to get along with the Continentals well. His post the other day indicated he had stocked up for summer. I'm sure I'll get along with the just fine. I'm tight - they'd have to be really shit for me to give up on them.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
@Jabubu if i ever get them fitted i will let you know. I bought the OEM ones from Bike Discount based on the various reviews on places like Flow MTB and from @Wake Jake posts about his 141. Jake is a big unit and seems to get along with the Continentals well. His post the other day indicated he had stocked up for summer. I'm sure I'll get along with the just fine. I'm tight - they'd have to be really shit for me to give up on them.
They are just are best tyres on market IMHO. Not by much though. Trying out the E13s atm like @kten and the other two bikes have Schwalbes on. Don't know anyone that hasn't found them great. Also have plenty of curiosity on the trails how they go.

ikebay

Cannon Fodder
I've ridden over there for years, I like using an Onza Ibex on the front but a lot of people are running the Minion DHF but I personally think it's over-tyred for a place like that. The high roller II works well and many of the XC mobs run the Ardents, the Continental Trail kings aren't bad either. It gets fairly loose in the corners when it gets dusty over there in the dry spells, you need something that can hang on in the corners.
Thanks so much, that's exactly the kind of advice I was after. The looseness is definitely where the Holy Rollers are feeling hairy, had a few near washouts in my first test ride out there on them. I'd think even an XC-oriented tyre would offer more in the way of grip, but I'll probably go with the High Roller II--available in 26" and looks very confidence inspiring!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They are just are best tyres on market IMHO. Not by much though.
My Argotals, I would place them just above MaxxGrip Assegais by a bees dick. Was a bigger gap until I got the dreaded Cuntywobble. Couldn't believe it.
I reckon the super tight fit puts the bead on the Contis under more stress and this resulted in a bead failure on my rear tyre, causing it to blow out over the rim bead and a completely fucked tyre.

I'm going to make a Cuntywobble video, send it to Continental and BikeComponents, hopefully getting a credit for the price of the tyre.

There is no doubt, in Supersoft DH, they are as grippy a tyre as I've ever experienced.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
My Argotals, I would place them just above MaxxGrip Assegais by a bees dick. Was a bigger gap until I got the dreaded Cuntywobble. Couldn't believe it.
I reckon the super tight fit puts the bead on the Contis under more stress and this resulted in a bead failure on my rear tyre, causing it to blow out over the rim bead and a completely fucked tyre.

I'm going to make a Cuntywobble video, send it to Continental and BikeComponents, hopefully getting a credit for the price of the tyre.

There is no doubt, in Supersoft DH, they are as grippy a tyre as I've ever experienced.
Was that the tyre it took you 6hours and lots of swearing to fit?
That much force on a sidewall/bead is asking for trouble.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
They are just are best tyres on market IMHO. Not by much though. Trying out the E13s atm like @kten and the other two bikes have Schwalbes on. Don't know anyone that hasn't found them great. Also have plenty of curiosity on the trails how they go.
Was it the Grappler you were trying out?

I keep looking at the e13 all terrain at Dirt Works - seem to be a decent looking tyre, 1kg or so each but any grippy 29er tyre seems to be that or more. $178 for Kryptotal pair from Pedal Mafia but endurance trail think a enduro soft up the front would be better.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Was it the Grappler you were trying out?

I keep looking at the e13 all terrain at Dirt Works - seem to be a decent looking tyre, 1kg or so each but any grippy 29er tyre seems to be that or more. $178 for Kryptotal pair from Pedal Mafia but endurance trail think a enduro soft up the front would be better.
I grabbed a set from pedal mafia and put them on the optic this week. Test ride tomorrow arvo hopefully. Hopefully they hold up ok

Jabubu

What Schwalbes do you have? Someone recommended the Tacky Chan Soft Super Trail up front and Hans Dampf Soft Super Trail or even Super Gravity out back. I listened to a podcast (Pinkbike?) about the Tacky Chan and I was impressed that first they're a family business, and secondly they're sourcing fair trade rubber and soon to be recycled rubber.

They're also available at a decent price from ze Germans so it's another option for me to consider when I'm over there.

I know they're not durable in the long run but running XC tyres has me second, third and fourth guessing my choices... I hate having to make exactly the right choice.