Dirt Jump Etiquette

would the development of DJ etiquette be helpful - provided people followed it?

• Total voters

addie.dog1234

Likes Bikes
dirt jumps

say your local town doesnt have any jumps going anymore how would we get cousel to approve some jumps in a park that is only used for joggers and dog walkers. the nearest trails from mine and my mates house is like 11km and we are sick of riding so far when there is heactares of land near where we live (it belongs to counsel)
if anyone could give me some tips it will be grately appriciated.
cheers
Aaron

bmx4life

Banned
Find a good bushy area that takes a while to find, start clearing and start digging.

There are heaps of places to build jumps, people just hate the fact they have to put some effort in.

bmx4life

Banned
Axe, hoe, ceketers (however you spell it) for clearing

then shovels and matcock for digging

bam you've got some secret trails in the middle of the bush

Last edited:

nicho

Sacré bleu!
i sometime wonder why we try to get a place legal and the next best thing is to build illegal trails, destroy bushland just to have some secret trails in the middle of surburbia just for BMXERS (great spirit).

no offence but it kinda works against anything i or the local boys have ever worked for in our area.

sorry but i fail to be impressed.

bmx4life

Banned
Did I say I have done it in your area? no.

And the jump scene on the north shore has been around for ages, paddocks have been for ages and were started by bmxers.

And where did I state that if I had've built jump that they would be bmx only?

I am building trails at the moment, no where close though, 30 minute trek from where I live. And I build them with mtbers.

nicho

Sacré bleu!
first of all where did i talk about the north shore riding scene or even the paddocks which is far from being secret or in the bush where you have to cut trees etc... to make trails.

Alll i heard is that you are making trails not far away (which is fine by me i'm no police) in the bush and that it was for "bmxers".

Which apparently i m wrong about. in which case it's fine.

What you don t seem to understand is that i'm not aiming this at your group of rider's jumpiing location but more so looking out for our backs in terms of what the council has done to work with us.
It's just an example of the sort of things not to do if you want the council to work with riders.
Besides if you are reffering to 30minutes away riding distance then it's still willoughby council.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture.

and please don't start this bmx= mtb hate fight because it doesn t work with me.

nicho

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am I obligated to do any work on them if I don't damage them? I wouldn't mind changing them a bit but don't want to take over from whoever made them.
If you have cased it on one jump 20times and the lip is now crumbling/rutted, then yes fix the damage that you have caused. Basically any damage that affects the jump, fix it. If someone else has built the trail, speak to them before you change it. The most annoying thing to a trail builder is building a trail, and then come back to it another day and a foot taken off a DJ. So long as you don't change the jump (by this i mean if your putting in an alternative lander to make a jump a transfer, not changing the takeoff or the lip to suit) you'll be fine.

Say your local town doesnt have any jumps going anymore how would we get cousel to approve some jumps in a park that is only used for joggers and dog walkers.
It's been covered in other threads, so for a more indepth view do a search. But basically just approach your council, preferably with other riders with similar intentions, bring your need to their attention, and then keep pushing for legal DJ's in your area. It has taken most people years to get legal jumps, so although its going to take a while, keep pushing for them.

Last edited:

bmx4life

Banned
first of all where did i talk about the north shore riding scene or even the paddocks which is far from being secret or in the bush where you have to cut trees etc... to make trails.

Alll i heard is that you are making trails not far away (which is fine by me i'm no police) in the bush and that it was for "bmxers".

Which apparently i m wrong about. in which case it's fine.

What you don t seem to understand is that i'm not aiming this at your group of rider's jumpiing location but more so looking out for our backs in terms of what the council has done to work with us.
It's just an example of the sort of things not to do if you want the council to work with riders.
Besides if you are reffering to 30minutes away riding distance then it's still willoughby council.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture.

and please don't start this bmx= mtb hate fight because it doesn t work with me.

nicho
ahaha yeah thats all good, don't worry i'm not anti-mtb, the only rule at those trails is 130mm of travel or less, no duallys

chriscross

Likes Dirt
I'm going to have a bitch.
Not naming names *CoughTonka Cough* but people invited and took people down to some trails that me and some mates have been building without asking the local builders. i know you can't make anyone follow the rules of this thread but it is just the right thing to do. they also hacked the shit out of our jumps and left with out helping dig or fix anything leave the locals to do so. is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening again in the future or do we just have to put up with all of the bull shit??

Cheers
Tom

yay finaly! i hate going to skate parks and people just ly in the bowls for 10 mins because they lose a hat or sumthing like that, its anoying... specialy the parents young kids that get in ur way and piss u off... lol

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the biggest thing i hate another than the council destroying our jumps

is kids who cant ride riding them and doing heaps of damage and dont care

i made a set of jumps after the council demolished the others and they we're big and we went back there 2 days later someone had made em all small and shit i was pissed right off

The council = public enemy no1

The location wer i go dj is surrounded by a forest. And dudes built a massive jump downhill 50 meters (natural landscape) then 10 meters up a steep it was a monster jump. Originally a tabletop. Then kids changed the lip so u get twice as much air.:eek:

It was a good jump.:)

But da council demolishied it.:mad: Along with the other jumps in the forest

kyleman

Likes Dirt
Yer at croyden hills..the jumps were all good not to big..not to small..some for every1 one day..The next day i went the vert had been smashed up. The good doubles..gone..all to make the pickles bigger? which is bringing me to another point.
If theres the main jumps which all the big pros use..dont go smashing up the littler kids ones for the dirt. u gotta start somewhere...
(and no1 "owns" the big jumps cus it was all started by a council.)
UNFAIR..GET UR OWN DIRT

Back to croydon hills kyle

Yer about croydon hills WTF everything there is like flippin 4 foot at minimum.

But for people like me just starting out on dirt jumping theres like nowhere to start. Im bloody going to go from flatground riding straight to 4 foot jumps!

And im not a crazy dude like you kyle..

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It only needs one rule: No dig, no ride.

I'm all for this, if we can make a good enough "Dirt Jump Ettiquette" list I'll make this thread a sticky like "Skatepark Ettiquette" is.

And seriously, rule number one should be; No dig, no ride. If you go to someone elses jumps spend 20 minutes fixing lips and landings after you ride. You don't have to rebuild the place, just have the courtesy to leave jumps in the condition you found them.
amen to that

im sick of people turning up to mine and my mates jumps and riding them casing taking the tops off making them so they can ride em how hard is it to fix them??

cheers

big rozy

Likes Dirt
some people that have no respect for other people work :mad: , just cos you found them doesn't mean you can trash them.

i live in toowoomba QLD we had a good set of jumps here on council property then 2 kids had a fight next day they where gone it pissed the hell out of me.

xander1

Likes Bikes
I suppose one step higher than no dig no ride is if you rock up to trails and there are people there digging you ask them if they want you there or not. For me and my mates with our trails as slack as it might sound we don't want anyone else riding them whether they help us dig or not. I'm sure some people can appreciate here how much time it takes into making a decent respectable set of jumps and when you spend that much time and effort into something you want to ride it by yourself and with your mates that helped you all along the way not just some random that you dont even know. Just my 2 cents. may sound harsh but thats how we roll