Dirt Jump Etiquette

would the development of DJ etiquette be helpful - provided people followed it?

• Total voters

Inverted

Likes Dirt
Here we go.

If you take photos or video of someone elses trail, dont post the name of the location. Most dirt jumpers know the location. If you do post the location dont get the shits when trail builders tell you off. If your not one of the trail builders, dont bother commenting on the thread telling builders not to whinge about the situation.
I have seen quite a few threads lately exposing trails that dont belong to the thread starter.
This will ensure trails dont get over exposed and demolished by local councils or land owners.

Rant over...

arpit

Banned
Hey, this thread was great, really made sense. well some of it.
I'm a newbie to doing jumps, so I haven't had a great deal of time to think of the issues involved.
What particularly made sense was the idea of maintaining the jumps after you use them. I've ridden at red hill once, and I was stacking on the landings, and probably tearing them up a bit. Next time I go to these places I'll definately fix up the jumps somewhat.

What I disagree with is the idea that the builder of jumps can restrict access to them nomatter where they are built. As far as I'm concerned, if you build jumps on land which you don't own, or otherwise have sufficient title to restrict others use of it, you have no business in attempting to restrict access.
For example, I'll ride jumps in any public area, such as a national park, state forest, crown land or council land.
If I want to ride jumps in private land, and wish to seek consent, I'll go to the person who owns or leases the land, not the person who built the jumps.

Summary:
1. I believe it is ethical to leave jumps in the same condition as you found them.
2. If people want to restrict access to jumps they make, they need to make them on their own property.

Arpit

technoboy

Dirty Imports
Armpit,
its not just about fixing them its about helping out the local builders.
If you ride someone else's jumps occasionally you would know the builders and if you dont they will know you!
So if your being restricted from riding someone's trails it probably because you have never introduced your self and you have never offered to do some digging.

I build heaps and if some comes to my trail more than 5 or 6 times i'll make sure they help,
And if not they can leave....simple really...

arpit

Banned
technoboy said:
come on, people got over that in 4th grade.
technoboy said:
its not just about fixing them its about helping out the local builders.
If you ride someone else's jumps occasionally you would know the builders and if you dont they will know you!
Yep that makes sense. There are some practical difficulties involved,such as if when you turn up to a place theres noone else there to tell you who the builders are, but definately it's the ethical thing to do. Also, being an ethical obligation, it should have nothing to do with whether you know the builders or not. I'm guessing just digging a bit between the jumps and leaving the clay on the side for the designers to do as they wish would help somewhat too.

[/B]
technoboy said:
So if your being restricted from riding someone's trails it probably because you have never introduced your self and you have never offered to do some digging.
I build heaps and if some comes to my trail more than 5 or 6 times i'll make sure they help,
And if not they can leave....simple really...
Ith all due respect, I believe you've missed my point.

a. I've never been restricted from using any dirt jumps
b. Noones ever attempted to restrict me from using any dirt jumps
c. My comment was about how attempting to restrict access to dirt jumps on land you don't have a right to is wrong.

Are 'your' jumps on your own land or on public land? If they are on public land, or land you have no rights to, I agree with you asking people to help, but I disagree with your approach of asking them to leave.
In the alternative, if they are on your own land, I commend you for allowing other people access at all.

arpit

technoboy

Dirty Imports
arpit said:
come on, people got over that in 4th grade.

Yep that makes sense. There are some practical difficulties involved,such as if when you turn up to a place theres noone else there to tell you who the builders are, but definately it's the ethical thing to do. Also, being an ethical obligation, it should have nothing to do with whether you know the builders or not. I'm guessing just digging a bit between the jumps and leaving the clay on the side for the designers to do as they wish would help somewhat too.

[/B]

Ith all due respect, I believe you've missed my point.

a. I've never been restricted from using any dirt jumps
b. Noones ever attempted to restrict me from using any dirt jumps
c. My comment was about how attempting to restrict access to dirt jumps on land you don't have a right to is wrong.

Are 'your' jumps on your own land or on public land? If they are on public land, or land you have no rights to, I agree with you asking people to help, but I disagree with your approach of asking them to leave.
In the alternative, if they are on your own land, I commend you for allowing other people access at all.

arpit
Dude you have already Ridden my jumps and your making out to be a kinda annoying.
They're not on private land but we sure as hell know most people and generally make everyone pull there weight.
Maybe next time your up there you can introduce your self and i'll introduce you to the shovel :)

arpit

Banned
technoboy said:
Dude you have already Ridden my jumps
Nice work making em dude, they are awesome

technoboy said:
and your making out to be a kinda annoying.
tough luck.

technoboy said:
Maybe next time your up there you can introduce your self and i'll introduce you to the shovel :)
Yeah no probs. I have no idea what you look like, but i'll ask some ppl if anyones there. Also, what bike do you have? I might be able to recognise ya that way. But in any case, i'll be glad to lend a hand.

arpit

technoboy

Dirty Imports
arpit said:
Nice work making em dude, they are awesome

tough luck.

Yeah no probs. I have no idea what you look like, but i'll ask some ppl if anyones there. Also, what bike do you have? I might be able to recognise ya that way. But in any case, i'll be glad to lend a hand.

arpit
Thats what I'm talking about! ;)
I'm always there all day every weekend, I ride a white Agent.

arpit

Banned
technoboy said:
I already know what i want to do too.
I'm not good enough to do the big tall jumps with gaps between the jump and the landing. I keep thinking I won't make it, and that my front tyre will hit the top of the landing ramp. but I was riding the line from the top where the jumpes are filled in ( I think they are called tabletops but I'm not sure).

Anyway, on one of the big jumps on that line near the end the landing was soooo loose and sandy, that anyone who tried it would just stack basically.

i reckon next time I go there I'll take some water and try and compact it. Is there a spade and shovel already there, or do I need to bring my own?

arpit

Banned
technoboy said:
Thats what I'm talking about! ;)
I'm always there all day every weekend, I ride a white Agent.

awesome, next time I head up there I'll introduce myself

arpit

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
technoboy said:
Maybe next time your up there you can introduce your self and i'll introduce you to the shovel
haha I say that same thing in relation to my track... only the concept is a tad different.

"oh.. you're the dude who's been bring all these kids my trail...*BAM*"

Inverted

Likes Dirt
Arpit, you are a bit precious ain't you, I mean you ride other peoples trails but you make out you don't want to help.
As for you riding our jumps you can,anytime. But as everyone knows who comes to our trail if you don't acknowledge the locals when riding you may as well fuck off. This goes for everyone, punters to pros.
We have taken all sorts of shit form different people and were still here, so someone like yourself giving us the moral rundown on how we should conduct ourselves at our jumps is fucking ridiculous.
1. because you cant ride anything but table tops
2. you have the attitude , I can ride where I want when ever I want without giving a fuck about anyone.
I assure this wont happen when I'm around.
This thread was designed for young guys and people who dont understand DJ ettiquette.

arpit

Banned
Inverted said:
Arpit, you are a bit precious ain't you, I mean you ride other peoples trails but you make out you don't want to help.
No, I'm very willing to help, and I believe I made that known. I feel that if some people have taken the time and made the effort to make something which I can enjoy, I'm morally obliged to help them If I am going to take advantage of the facility.

Inverted said:
As for you riding our jumps you can,anytime. But as everyone knows who comes to our trail if you don't acknowledge the locals when riding you may as well fuck off. This goes for everyone, punters to pros.
um, thanks :)
Inverted said:
We have taken all sorts of shit form different people and were still here, so someone like yourself giving us the moral rundown on how we should conduct ourselves at our jumps is fucking ridiculous.
I wasn't targetting you specifically. I'm targetting the attitude that people have that becuase they built a jump they own it. They may be very convinced that this is the case, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, that's not the case. Community attitudes differ from that view remarkably, and are best represented by the law.
The law:
The law is that whoever owns the land owns the jumps. Only those who have sufficient title to the land to restrict others' access to it may attempt to restrict access, with certain exceptions.
Far from ensuring some posession of land, building jumps will often be seen by the law, and the general community as criminal damage of the area.

This probably isn't going to change any time soon.
The effects of attempting to restrict access:
I believe the effects of illegally attempting to restrict access via intimidation will only result in those restricted becoming bitter. In a community where very little of the core activities are supported by law, it is essential to have as many eople on-side as possible. For example, if you restrict a bunch of kids from using 'your' jumps, you may find them telling others about the location, telling unsympathetic parents or landowners, or partially demolishing the jumps.

I believe that a more friendly, open approach, may not be best in the short run in regards to immediate maintenance of the jumps, but will, for any jumps built on land which the owners have no title to- ensure their continued survival.

Inverted said:
1. because you cant ride anything but table tops
Don't become elitist. That's enother way to alienate people.
Inverted said:
2. you have the attitude , I can ride where I want when ever I want without giving a fuck about anyone.
pretty much I ride where permitted by law. I help others because of moral beliefs.
Inverted said:
This thread was designed for young guys and people who dont understand DJ ettiquette.
fair enough. I had no idea there was any kind of DJ ettiquete before I saw this page

Inverted

Likes Dirt
We are friendly and very approachable. I have no problem with you as an individual but I have a problem with the selfish attitude that people display when riding our jumps and on this site.

Considering that you are just a punter when it comes to riding jumps I can understand your attitude, but when you have spent your hundreds of hours of valuable time creating something that benifits us and so many your inclined to become quite protective.

As far as you comment about the law, well the landowners know we are there and they do not consider our work to be 'criminal damage of the area'. They appreciate what we are doing for the mtb community and understand that our local goverment is out of touch with what the people in their community want.
As far as your comment 'I believe the effects of illegally attempting to restrict access via intimidation will only result in those restricted becoming bitter. In a community where very little of the core activities are supported by law, it is essential to have as many eople on-side as possible. For example, if you restrict a bunch of kids from using 'your' jumps, you may find them telling others about the location, telling unsympathetic parents or landowners, or partially demolishing the jumps.'
If you had an idea on what you are going on about you would know that half the people on Farkin from Sydney have been too the jumps and we have never once said they are not welcome. This doesnt mean I wont do something about someone who is doing something destructive to our jumps.

I think the best thing you could do is come up and have a ride and meet us in person and enjoy the area then you will know there is just a bunch of guys who love what they are doing.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
i'll introduce myself next time i'm up there. Only been once before, and i didn't really try much, but i was very impressed. Dale rides so hard, even without a properly functioning hub :D. I loved the push, then bunnyhop to ride down that little kicker someone had made! I think i saw you too inverted, and i saw S.P.G. but i can be a bit of a shy fella, so i didn't say hi, but will next time :)

arpit

Banned
Inverted said:
We are friendly and very approachable. I have no problem with you as an individual but I have a problem with the selfish attitude that people display when riding our jumps and on this site.
Thats fair. Ultimately people should realise that jumps don't just grow out of thin air, and that somebody needs to make em.
Inverted said:
Considering that you are just a punter when it comes to riding jumps I can understand your attitude, but when you have spent your hundreds of hours of valuable time creating something that benifits us and so many your inclined to become quite protective.
That's totally understandable. Its natural, and human.
Inverted said:
As far as you comment about the law, well the landowners know we are there and they do not consider our work to be 'criminal damage of the area'. They appreciate what we are doing for the mtb community and understand that our local goverment is out of touch with what the people in their community want.
I congratulate you on managing to get express or implied consent from the landowner. Seriously, thats good work. Unfortunately, very few people are able to do that. Your lucky :)

Inverted said:
As far as your comment 'I believe the effects of illegally attempting to restrict access via intimidation will only result in those restricted becoming bitter. In a community where very little of the core activities are supported by law, it is essential to have as many eople on-side as possible. For example, if you restrict a bunch of kids from using 'your' jumps, you may find them telling others about the location, telling unsympathetic parents or landowners, or partially demolishing the jumps.'
If you had an idea on what you are going on about you would know that half the people on Farkin from Sydney have been too the jumps and we have never once said they are not welcome. This doesnt mean I wont do something about someone who is doing something destructive to our jumps.
totally dude. I think my comment was far more relavent to those people who imply they that'll chase people off, or beat em up than to you guys and your jump site.
Inverted said:
I think the best thing you could do is come up and have a ride and meet us in person and enjoy the area then you will know there is just a bunch of guys who love what they are doing.
Will do, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys sometime.

djfr

Likes Dirt
i think a set of rules would be great if people used them i have been building a set of jumps it started with me then 5 of my mates started digging aswell we got heaps done until a heap of other riders found them and i had to fix them after every time those guys rode them because they werent fixing cases somtimes the damage would get so bad it take 2 weeks to fix them i got sick of fixing and let them get stuffed then i left them for about 3 months and told those other riders they were stufed now they dont ride there and ive got about 15 decent sized jumps built

Valkyr

Likes Bikes
patto_15 said:
i remember being one of those kids. it was awesome seeing people really good ride the trails. made me want to be able to do it and gave me inspiration so year dont blow off those kids.
I completely agree patto!

I remember too when I used to watch people at the skate park and Black Hill and never was told to go away or anything so I'll never do that to any kids.

lucky phil

Likes Bikes
dirt dumps

I have been to red hill and helped dig on the main line and the boys where all cool with me being there just watching and helping out, then you get the fun situation of getting to a jump site and all the guys there are bmx riders, i love the cold feeling i got when i got there i had no intention of riding that is not my thing so if any of you guys go to Newcastle there are a killer set of jumps at b town but the guys are a bunch of tools i think the bigger the endorsement the bigger tool the riders is (not all ways true but with the b town boys it is so)

biscuits

Cannon Fodder
hey guys,
I'm new to mtb and I've found a few jumps next to a park nearby. i live in werribee and don't know anyone here who rides or who built the jumps, am I obligated to do any work on them if I don't damage them? I wouldn't mind changing them a bit but don't want to take over from whoever made them. I'm far from being scared of being beat up (I'm not that young anymore), just don't want to step on toes out of respect. In a town like werribee theres not much to do if you dont have a car and I dont wont to take away the fun from the kids who built them.
Cheers
:D