The Fixie Thread

'Ross

Eats Squid
At this point Ive sanded the majority of paint of my forks, however the problem of bare metal contrasting badly with shiny silver/chrome bars and stem I will be having:eek: The question is how do I make my forks really shiny for little or next to no money? Im willing to do the hardwork as I hand sanded the forks anyway. Help would be appreciated.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At this point Ive sanded the majority of paint of my forks, however the problem of bare metal contrasting badly with shiny silver/chrome bars and stem I will be having:eek: The question is how do I make my forks really shiny for little or next to no money? Im willing to do the hardwork as I hand sanded the forks anyway. Help would be appreciated.
Strip all the paint off and polish...

Start with steelo pads & keep working with finer/softer materials...

red death

Likes Bikes
1. HD paint stripper,
2. wet and dry paper plenty of water, start fairly course and go down to say 1800 grit
3. use soft steel wool and autosol (or similar) polishing paste. You can get a mirror finish if you are willing to spend a few solid days.

Pete J

loves his dog
Got around to taping my bars up (first time ever that i've tried that) and put on a different seat as well. Also, i decided to throw a genuine Peugeot bell on it because this bike is so stealth that no one ever hears me coming! :p

Attachments

Last edited:

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
Its so beautifull I might not even ride it

So I was talking to the guy at the LBS and he reckons this frames was made by a guy called Bates. Apparently he made frames in Coburg (Melb Vic) and this frame was built any where between 1930 and 1950. He said its as good as any Italy steal jobbie. I dont know about all that but it was free off the hardrubbish and its a sweet ride. I took her for her maiden voyage last night. Being a fixie virgen it was a weird experiance to say the least. But I loved it. Didnt use the break once between Brunswick and North Melbourne and back again.

No name stem,no name vintage headset, floped and choped no name bars, no name vintage lever and brake, Miche hubs on deep V's, Kool chain, complete and utter piece of shit seat that I will be replacing asap. Shimano BB, Sakae Japanese cranks and Christophe vintage french pedals.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
that is absoloodly gorgeous! 2 wks Uni hols coming up. my frame should be done by then, then i suppose i only need cranks and BB, and order my wheelset. wawaweewa!

Pete J

loves his dog
Even with the profile ss rear hub?!
Damn that's cool.
Better start building something.
That was half the joke, that bloody hub is so loud when i'm not pedalling...
However, seeing as i'm trying to look like a fixed rider, i actually never stop pedalling!! :p

hubbie

Forever 1,337
when i first saw that thing i almost vomited. i'm not going to lie, i think it's dead ugly, and i wouldn't ride it no matter how much heritage it has

'Ross

Eats Squid
There was a thread about it on FGG, apparently it was some old racer and could reach speeds of 100km/h in a velodrome behind a special motorbike in a slipstream. Still farkin ugly.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^

Problem is it required a bottom bracket that was really high for ground clearance so the stability was an issue.

climbo

Likes Dirt
It wasn't so much the fork that had me confused..more the freakin wooden wheelset or whatever it is. I mean, a tiny strip of black rubber for tires? Rigid ride...
That's a a stayer racing bike, fork is backwards and the supports are there to get closer in to the draft of the derny in front. They also call 'em rouleur's.