The Fixie Thread

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Plan so far

Frame: Bennet Super Sports (to be shaved and resprayed pearl violet with gold or navy pinstriping around lugs)
Stem: Sakae
Bars: Polished bullhorn(?? curved down/standard roadie style)
headset: Cheap Polished aloy or steel
Seatpost: 25.4(??) polished
Seat: Undecided. i have a tioga DH saddle and a SDG Bel Air ST i might use, not sure
Cranks: Undecided
Wheelset: Hopefully Deep-V Velocity trackset cheap from work.
Pedals: Flats for now, but clipped in in future probably
Gearing: 42:16 to start i suppose

gtg will update later...

Dicky

Punter God
liamo said:
So, am I just being lame or have any of the fixie fanatics out there had a hard time making the conversion for this kind of reason?
Yes and no...

You've got photos of it, that'll do.

If grinding makes you sad, just leave the braze-ons / mech hanger etc - you can always convert it back again in future.
This is a good idea if you get hooked, and want to sell it as a roadie when you trade up to the next one.

Go and browse www.fixedgeargallery.com for a while, and grab a few videos from www.digave.com, especially the 'welcome to the jungle' NYC courier race.

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will. :D

hubbie said:
'bullhorns'...?
Bullhorns are what I'm running in the second photo... you'd have normal drop bars, unless you're planning to flip n' chop them.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
I guess this is fixie updating time so Ill show you all where Im at with mine:)

I stripped it down to just the frame and the BB (needs replacing sounds like its filled with mud or something) I have a plan for the frame involving painting the rear triangle but covering the front in pictures or something like that.

I had to take off the evil annoying rusted cranks.

And.......damaged my hairy knee in the process:(

My first upgrade! Standard 'dj' length stem replaced with 90mm dia-compe for the small fee of $2.25!

Im currently in the process of sanding my forks down, once that is done Ill polish em up nice and shiny and do the same with bar and stem. I just need new bars next because my current ones are didnt and rusted to the max.

Dicky

Punter God
Braze ons removed, new paint.

Rack mounts and hanger removed too.
>>>

Time to make things shiny...

Last edited:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dicky that is looking a-la!

Anyone running old skool wing nuts? I've just gone the set, front & rear, allows me fto ix flats or swap between fixed/free without tools....

Attachments

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
Picked up a new bike today, saw it yesterday in a secondhand shop and just couldn't pass it up! It's a Reynolds 501 tubed Pug and was in pretty good nick given the price. I've now shelved the Tennis Club frame and will throw my goodies on this one. I still have a 1975 5 speed gentlemans frame in the shed plus a shabby Carbolite 103 as well.
Pics, woot!! Haven't quite decided which bars i'll use yet though...

Attachments

hubbie

Forever 1,337
nice Pete!

Dicky! that paint is fantastic! can or spraygun? can't wait to see it built up in the flesh!

Pete J

loves his dog
Bloody! :mad: Got a problem with the cranks that came with the new bike.
They are Stronglights with a 122bcd and it turns out that chainrings for these are hard to come by. Have been searching for what is available locally but so far haven't found anything. Anyone know of a shop in Oz that would stock this kind of obselete part?
Harris Cyclery in the States has them but they are pretty exxy...

Dicky

Punter God
Contraptions are fun.

Dicky! that paint is fantastic! can or spraygun? can't wait to see it built up in the flesh!
Cheers dude.
Penetrol rust sealant undercoat + hailstorm + rushjob + sanding back overspray + 3 coats White Knight Hi Temp rattlecan in metallic charcoal.

Pete, hit up www.fixed.org.au if you haven't already - the lads in Melbourne should know of somewhere that stocks 122bcd stuff.

What else is cooking out there?

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
Pete, hit up www.fixed.org.au if you haven't already - the lads in Melbourne should know of somewhere that stocks 122bcd stuff.
Thanks mate but i have located one here and also found a shop in England that sells them for much cheaper than just everywhere else! :)
That NRMA bike is sweet, reminds me a bit of this sweet machine.
Am also still spewing that i didn't buy this Husqvarna when it was up for sale ages agon...

Attachments

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work Dicky from "Sidney".

Any way, when are you Sydney guys going to hurry up and get your bikes finished so you can join us for some fixed city rides?

The fad will be over by the time you are finished :p

hubbie

Forever 1,337
oh no! then i need to find a new fad Carlin!

saw you motor past UTS a while ago, and also neutral bay.

Pete J

loves his dog
Heehee, i'm being kind of deceptive by posting here becuase my bike is actually just a singlespeed and not a fixed gear!
But it looks alot like one and i promise that the next wheelset i get will have a fixed hub in the rear!!!! :p

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
I picked a colour theam once I picked up a second hand wheel set (Chrome Miche track hubs on black Velocity deep v)
I did the whole frame matt dark gray and did the head stem tube and the cut outs on the fork lugs cherry red. I'll post some photos when its back from the shop (its cheaper to get the LBS to install the BB then buying a BB tool)
All the components are chrome. floped and choped bars. Black bar tape.
And one of those light weight KMC chains that looks like a skeleton of a former chain.
Its looking sweeeeeeeeeet and all I need is a seat.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
agreed dickles (ps. sorry i forgot tuesday)

I'm not beating around the bush, as soon as the rest of the bike is done, i'm ordering a Velocity wheelset, probably without ever riding a fixie. not going to do something half arsed

Last edited:

hubbie

Forever 1,337
i'm gonna photoshizzop up my fixular vehicle soon to see how it'll look, and i gotta decide how to order my Velocity wheelset, whether to go deepV or Aerohead. mmm excited!