Recent content by joe79

1. J

Cleat position help

Get a bike fitting from a qualified sports physio, they'll be able to dial in the best positioning, not just cleats, but your whole body. When you're talking about injury prevention, it's money well spent.
  2. J

You know you're a cyclist when...

it's almost impossible to walk down your hallway with shopping bags because there are too many bikes in the way
  3. J

Steel, Single Speed Specific 29er frames?

While i do love my older Peace, i'd say don't get tempted to get one, the EBB is TERRIBLE. constant slipping/creaking.
  4. J

Recommend me a tent!

I learnt a thing or two about false economy during the Kona 24hr. My cheapo rays tent had done me fine for plenty of enduros, but that friday night in forrest... Lets just say wet clothes/sleeping bag can really take the fun out of a 24 hour race. I think i'll invest in something a bit...
  5. J

Snakes Yarra Crit Circuit

yeah i ride the loop clockwise, never had a collision in there though. I find that although the track is tight, the corners are pretty open with decent visability, so you've at least got time to come to a quick stop rather than collide with another rider. The track on either side of the loop...
  6. J

Metal, Hardcore, Punk and everything inbetween

NOFX's output over the last decade or so makes for a strong argument against substance abuse in rock n roll.
  7. J

The Fixie Thread

I've done a lot of XC and while i'm comfortable pulling up on the pedals while climbing hard etc, and working with the momentum of the pedals, the idea of resisting that and pulling back against the momentum feels pretty strange. Feeling much better today, probably take it easy for a day or two...
  8. J

The Fixie Thread

Just having a go at riding fixed this past week for the first time, interesting experience. it's pretty tough breaking the habit of coasting from riding bmx/mtb almost daily for 25 years. Also my left knee feels like it's going to blow up from skidding (not that i've even been skidding that...
  9. J

yeah it's stacking and landing on a snake that really scares me. I've come off a few times and gone flying into those bushes in ivanhoe, where i'm certain there were snakes around. I wish more riders would yell out on a couple of those blind corners, there's one spot just past burke rd and the...
  10. J

Numb

I tend to get numb toes on long rides, 100km races etc. I think for me it's just a circulation thing. Once i make a conscious effort to wiggle my toes for a few minutes it goes away.
  11. J

that crit circuit scares the hell out of me; unlike other areas of the yarra trails it's pretty much impossible to notice snakes until you're almost upon them. that said, this summer i've been riding late in the day, usually after 7, and have only seen a few all season. (although it may also...
  12. J

Good MTB Physio in Syd? for lumps on the back of your heels..

personally i wouldn't speak to a surgeon until first speaking to a sports physio who specializes in cycling. In my experience, a surgeon's first solution is surgery, even when there's possible alternatives.
  13. J

Yarra Bend Park - MTB trails

I believe pretty much everything from Richmond to Chandler highway, including Dights falls is actually off limits. I know there's 'no bikes' signs around that whole area.
  14. J

Heading to Forrest this weekend - where to camp & where to ride?

Forrest caravan park is good. No swimming close by, but it's nice to be within easy riding distance of both trail heads. Forrest trails are all graded in difficulty, so start with the blues and then ease onto the blacks if you're feeling confident.
  15. J

Post accident rehabillitation.

I'd say find a sports medicine physio who is a cyclist and knows the specifics of what you can/can't do.