Recent content by MacMan

1. M

Bargain buys thread

That was always a threshold I couldn't rationalise either.
  2. M

Floods in VIC - everyone ok?

It was definitely subsiding when I passed yesterday, but the trails will be a mess for some time to come. I wonder where all the snakes swam to?
  3. M

Floods in VIC - everyone ok?

We tried to go for a walk at Banksia Park a couple of days back. It was Lake Banksia.
  4. M

returning after 12 years.. not sure what to get.

That's why I actually have two :) My original XL is still in MTB trim, and very much original with the Marzocchi Z2s still working superbly. Only change is a set of wider bars on a shorter stem. I bought a second as a parts bike a few years back, supposedly XL but turned out to be L. That one...
  5. M

What are you listening to NOW?

I was lucky enough to see Nils Frahm live in Melbourne back in 2018 during a torrid year, and he transported me away from my troubles for a couple of hours. When I have the house to myself, this is one of my favourite postcards to somewhere else blissful. Headphones or big speakers are a must...
  6. M

returning after 12 years.. not sure what to get.

FWIW, I went from a late 90's GT Avalanche 26" with a whopping 65mm front travel and rim brakes, to a relatively recent XXL Trek Fuel EX8 29" with the tricksy single front ring, dropper, hydraulic brakes and SRAM GX. I still have the GT and love it to bits, but found that the style of most...
  7. M

Frame protection debate

I did the same, mainly because nobody makes a kit for the XXL Herman Munster size. One company said XL would be close enough, but the tubes are all longer so I couldn't bring myself to pay full ticket for a kit that doesn't cover everything.
  8. M

Douche Listing of the Day - Post them here.

When you see a colleague from work cited here. #thatsawkward.
  9. M

Fritz the trail dog

I'm interested to know what GPS and tracking gear you use for Fritz. I have a new pooch who's showing promise, but he does range around a little more than I'd like off trail.
  10. M

You know you're getting old when ...

I'm a nurse and one day at work I realised that in the last fortnight I had met three competitive cyclists who had crashed. Injuries varied, but all had significant fractures. All went home eventually. All were over 50. The oldest was... wait for it... >80 years old. Lottery greatness is...
  11. M

New bike, frame protection?

I cheaped out and bought a 600x300mm piece of bonnet protector material from Autobarn. The freight alone for the UK kit was going to run into silly money. It took quite a bit of doing to make up patterns and fit it, but it will do the job. Part of the decision was that nobody makes a kit for...
  12. M

I'll bite my tongue then! The hassle for me is that good XL/XXL bikes are few and far between. I've been hovering for more than a year, trying to decide between the more XC based bikes and something a little more suited to bumpy downhill stuff. It was between this and or an Anthem 29er and I...
  13. M

Hi all. I've spoiled myself during Trekfest and a new dual suspension trail bike is coming to join me shortly. It's the first new bike in more than 20 years, and I would like to keep it in good order. What are your experiences with paint protection skins? Bike is an XXL Trek Fuel EX8.
  14. M

2003 GT Avalanche 3.0

Where did you buy those levers?
  15. M

Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

I rebuilt the engine in my Disco and installed something similar to allow installation of a secondary oil pressure and oil temp sender. It worked insofar as I could install both, but was only oil tight for the first couple of thousand KM. As soon as I started changing filters, the slightest...