Recent content by Olbert

1. O

Cxr-1 Giant Wheelset - any good?

Last year I bought a Fathom 1 2018 with XC1 wheels. I've ridden it pretty hard and given those wheels a pretty hard time. They have a few good dings and unable to be trued properly. I need new rims but I thought I'd take this opportunity for an upgrade the whole wheelset. If I can't find a...
  2. O

Giant Fathom 29er 1 2018 - What to upgrade?

Don't worry - I'm not going to buy brand new forks. I'm trying to do this on the cheap. My remedy is this without any changes: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/remedy/remedy-9-race-shop-limited/p/17051/ I definitely feel more comfortable on the...
  3. O

Most of the trails I would ride a bit bumpy so the 100mm suspension isn't enough - I'm considering going for 120mm and maybe a better fork than Sunto but second hand to keep the price down. Even some of the steeper fire trails around Majura/Mt Ainslie need more suspension than 100mm! I've got...
  4. O

So I bought the Giant Fathom 29er 1 2018 for my xc race/commuter bike. It ticked all the boxes I had including having a dropper post! I've been riding since about August last year and although it's a great commuter bike and did me well for the 100km Kowalski, it just doesn't ride as good as I'd...
  5. O

Shimano XT 2x11 complete swap for SLX 1x11

My girlfriend has a Trek Fuel Ex 8 2017 with an XT 2x11 and I have a Giant Fathem 1 2018 with an SLX 1x11. For those bikes we would both prefer the other drive train. I want the 2x11 for my hardtail and she would love the 1x11 for her trail bike. My question is is it possible to do a drive...
  6. O

Bicycle Insurance - How do they calculate "market value"?

Without a single exception, the product disclosure statements say that they only have to make good your bike to the condition it was in before the claim. So if I claimed my Anthem, I wouldn't be getting a new Anthem either of the equivalent 2018 or a 2016 still in stock. I'd be getting a second...
  7. O

I don't have home and contents insurance as I rent... I have heard of renters insurance? Is that the same?
  8. O

So, between my partner and I, we have three bikes: 2018 Giant Fathom 1 RRP $1999, purchased at $1800 2017 Trek Fuel Ex 8 RRP $4299, purchased at $4600 (including Stan's Arch wheelset) 2016 Giant Anthem SX RRP $4300, purchased at $3500, with $750 custom wheelset bought in April 2017. I have been...
  9. O

I accidentally bought a 180mm rotor instead of a 170mm rotor

Thanks all the contributors for helping me out. I would prefer SRAM Centerline rotors but I'm not willing to pay $100+. I don't understand why it's so hard to get SRAM rotors without paying twice the price as other rotors available at Wiggle or Chain reaction.
  10. O

If you had a 160mm one as well, and were willing to sell for $50 combined + shipping, I'm in! Otherwise, I'll stick with my ultra cheap Shimano option.
  11. O

JEeeeeeesssus! Thats $32.95 + shipping for a rotor which cost $25!!! Hmmmm, it would be half the price just to buy a new 160mm rotor... Or is this also the right part: https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-sm-ma-f180-pp-180mm-front-disc-brake-adapter.html
  12. O

I just ordered two Shimano SLX-Zee-Deore RT66 rotors for my Anthem SX 2016 with SRAM Guide Brakes from Chainreaction.com. I would have order SRAM Centerline rotors if they were three times the price (literally). The problem is that I bought a 180mm rotor instead of a 170mm rotor (which doesn't...
  13. O

Confessions from the fuckwits

So I was heading down the Luge at Mt Stromlo on my three years old XC bike (the only bike I own). I have been feeling confident of late - so I was taking the berms wide and trying to make all the (sane) jumps. As I got to the fire trail at the end of the Luge I felt something off on my back...
  14. O

New Bike Advice

I'm looking to buy a new bike and I really need some advice on what to get. I currently own a 2012 Giant Anthem X2 (26") which has 5000km on it. It was my first serious bike and it's by far the best monetary investment I've ever made in my life. I use it as an everything bike - hammering down...
  15. O

Tubeless Sidewall Puncture

So the tyre popped within 200m of leaving home on a road. Next question: Do I need a special patch or can I just use run of the middle inner tube repair patches?