Newly Released Bikes General

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Bwahahahaaa!!!!

At the moment we are talking with the rider. He didn't want these photos to get online. The photos are screenshots from his private Strava and only someone who follows him has access to these.

Quick tip: Strava is "online".
strava is online but they have upped their privacy lately, as they state only friends can see pics

what i like is they have the balls to state, we had 1 frame disaster, we have NFI, but we are gettin frame back, & we will investigate...indicates to me they are standing behind it.

what i dont’ get, are they assembling frame in two halves then using adhesive to glue together? that’s where it looks like it has broken,i thought they would be buying tubes, and welding

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...indicates to me they are standing behind it.

what i dont’ get, are they assembling frame in two halves then using adhesive to glue together? that’s where it looks like it has broken,i thought they would be buying tubes, and welding
Look out @Pole! Inspector Bikelock Holmes is on the case...the bit where they stayed they would warranty the fame as the bit hat have I away that they were standing behind their product. Though they did also imply that may be because the rider is a friend of the pole.

Looks like a kind of monocoque construction. Why glue rather than weld?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
strava is online but they have upped their privacy lately, as they state only friends can see pics

what i like is they have the balls to state, we had 1 frame disaster, we have NFI, but we are gettin frame back, & we will investigate...indicates to me they are standing behind it.

One frame disaster, eh? I guess you missed this...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-2020-pole-stamina-140-the-fastest-trail-bike.html

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's the one.

It's 7075 series of aluminium that can't be welded (phase segregation), which is why the glue bonding is the only option. I think a year ago someone figured out how to weld it, but it requires a weird titanium filament and such, super expensive and rare process.

EDIT: Found the article, as new as Feb 2019.

https://newatlas.com/welding-aa7075-aluminum-alloy/58449/
I see. Why are they using this aluminium alloy over others then? What makes it superior?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get the feeling a lot of the reactions to Pole these days aren't really based on the bike, but because Leo has rubbed people the wrong way with some of his more outspoken points.
Probably also because his bikes keep breaking... Like a fair bit eh.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I'd be willing to bet the error rate is no larger than any other company on a percentage of stock basis. Even then, he honours warranties and is rider and product improvement focused in the case of errors; supporting them with replacements as well as updating designs to remedy any issues that are being noted.
He's not doing a Zelvy (sorry, ZLV Industries) and just ignoring e-mails.
You hit the nail on the head Zaf. The error rate is no larger than any other manufacturer if not lower. Leo is outspoken but he and others at Pole despite being under manned while being a small operation do a fantastic job. Leo actively asks for feedback and never hides the fact that they aren't perfect.

They re-machined my stamina twice as the tolerances weren't up to their QA which doesn't come cheap to scrap 2x framesets.

Zelvy on the other hands now that's a humorous yet frustrating topic.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It has excellent mechanical properties; good ductility, high strength, toughness and good resistance to fatigue, has significantly better corrosion resistance than the 2000 alloys and it is one of the most commonly used aluminium alloy for highly stressed structural applications, and has been extensively utilized in aircraft structural parts. It has about a 9-10% elongation threshold before breaking as well, which puts it on par with high quality steel.

Nicolai also run 7000 series alloys, but a different mix alloy that can be welded.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a frame made from a 2000 series aluminium alloy. 6000 series and I'm pretty sure 7005, but not confident. It does sound like the metal is good enough for the job and plenty of people trust glue to hold their carbon frames together.

The aluminium bikes both had simlar results (half the weight, double the drop for Pole) in that test.
That Santa Cruz vid is old. The linked one of from 2017, but I'm sure the source material is much older. There is a similar test video online from 2012. I'd like to see better results, not worse results from a top shelf modern product.