LORDGUN?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah but are the margins really that tight? Or is the problem that greed runs rampant these days and part of the decision making around pricing and "site-wide discounting" is a little less about covering costs-plus-a-fair-profit, and a little more about "...how far can we push the boat out before we touch the punters' pain thresh-hold?..." (yes, I'm a cynical prick).

Further to my point, the real discounts (i.e. - upwards of 40% off rrp) are almost always the old/discontinued/shit colour/weird/extra-small stuff that most of us have no interest in. And yet they persist with big flashy email campaigns that deliver four-fifths-of-fuck-all to the real enthusiasts (tragics) like us. Just give me red hot prices on the useful stuff I need to buy - you'll get my hard-earned every time!

Genuine question; Are you saying, for example, that MtnBikesDirect are prolly only making, sayy, $10 on a Maxxis Minion sold to me at about $50? For sure, this would make discounting tough.

I struggle to believe there is no margin for discounting on a $500 mass-produced cassette or a $1000 wheel set...?

(But I also have no trouble believing that I'm just grumpy and out of touch with modern retailing realities).
You don't get to employ 14 staff if you make thin margins on bike parts, some of which I've known personally and have never been in the bike industry or anything mechanical.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
The mass of 99Bikes shops are not helping either, we have at least 6 in Adelaide and about that many small bike shops have closed since they arrived. I know most of the other capital cities have a load too.

Gerry Harvey gets 10% added to our price so we buy local, Shimano, Sram and others Geoblock, then Flight Centres '99bikes' superstores sends them under.

The bike industry really is in a shit state for all bricks and mortar shops.
99bikes are the Bunnings of the bike world. They'll destroy the LBS scene the same way Bunnings destroyed the local hardware networks. Service, expertise, choice, and competitive pricing will be non-existent.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Thought I'd post about an order I placed with lordgun on the 8th of July.
I was a little reluctant to order with these guys, actually took 6 months to work up the courage.
Order arrived today, took 2 weeks from order to arrival. A lot quicker than I expected.
If I'm honest quicker than domestic orders I've placed of late.
Items packaged in a lordgun box and all genuine and as the should be.
Would have no problems ordering again. Postage was sent FedEx as that was the cheapest option.
Anyway they get a thumbs up from me.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Thought I'd post about an order I placed with lordgun on the 8th of July.
I was a little reluctant to order with these guys, actually took 6 months to work up the courage.
Order arrived today, took 2 weeks from order to arrival. A lot quicker than I expected.
If I'm honest quicker than domestic orders I've placed of late.
Items packaged in a lordgun box and all genuine and as the should be.
Would have no problems ordering again. Postage was sent FedEx as that was the cheapest option.
Anyway they get a thumbs up from me.
2 weeks from anywhere at the moment is f$%#ing unheard of, but 2 weeks from Covid ridden Europe is next level...it would have had to get nuked in quarantine too slowing the process down , coming from Italy!....

Scotty675

Cable thief
2 weeks from anywhere at the moment is f$%#ing unheard of, but 2 weeks from Covid ridden Europe is next level...it would have had to get nuked in quarantine too slowing the process down , coming from Italy!....
After it's stop in Honolulu it went for a trip up the east coast of oz. Why it goes sydney up to Brisbane then back to Tassie I'm not sure.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Good to hear. Did you order any SRAM?

PS I have a watch on its way from China at the moment. Not holding my breath!!
I just got a Chinese order delivered yesterday. Ordered on the 8th. 12 days is not too bad at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Scotty675

Cable thief
Good to hear. Did you order any SRAM?

PS I have a watch on its way from China at the moment. Not holding my breath!!
No SRAM.
Dt swiss and shimano were main items.
Ive got some headset spacers coming from china, expecting to see them next year.

teK--

Eats Squid
99bikes are the Bunnings of the bike world. They'll destroy the LBS scene the same way Bunnings destroyed the local hardware networks. Service, expertise, choice, and competitive pricing will be non-existent.
99bikes are shit though. So I doubt your prediction. I could get better selection of bike stuff at Bunnings.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just a quick heads up on a recent LordGun purchase.

I ordered a few unicorn poo tyres from them and had a browse through the site for bargain or two to shore up the $60 postage cost (tyres paid for it anyway)

Grabbed a pair of Endura Hummvee gloves and a pair of Hummvee II shorts as I had a pair of the old Hummvees and liked them.

Had a look at them the day I got them and noticed a small hole on the mesh panel air vent, which is covered by a zip anyway.

Sent them a picture, put the shorts on and went riding. Got an email back saying they were sorry I've had a bad experience and was a full refund acceptable :oops:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

I ordered a few unicorn poo tyres from them and had a browse through the site for bargain or two to shore up the $60 postage cost (tyres paid for it anyway)

Grabbed a pair of Endura Hummvee gloves and a pair of Hummvee II shorts as I had a pair of the old Hummvees and liked them.

Had a look at them the day I got them and noticed a small hole on the mesh panel air vent, which is covered by a zip anyway.

Sent them a picture, put the shorts on and went riding. Got an email back saying they were sorry I've had a bad experience and was a full refund acceptable :oops:

View attachment 388064
Wasn't paying attention and thought that picture was very lewd for a second.

Flow-Rider

Burner

View attachment 388064
Endura stuff used to be half alright, looks like cheap shite out of China.

ozzybmx

looks like cheap shite out of China.
Are there any brands that aren't ? Nearly everything is made there now, the only difference is the quality control.

On first impressions having worn them about 7-8 rides, the Hummvee II shorts seem pretty good, the liner feels good also.

Value for money with them is through the roof, considering I paid zilch for them ;)

I bought myself the winter/waterproof MT500 jacket a few months back, it feels really well made too.

When you say 'looks like', have you actually had any Endura stuff lately ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Are there any brands that aren't ? Nearly everything is made there now, the only difference is the quality control.

On first impressions having worn them about 7-8 rides, the Hummvee II shorts seem pretty good, the liner feels good also.

Value for money with them is through the roof, considering I paid zilch for them ;)

I bought myself the winter/waterproof MT500 jacket a few months back, it feels really well made too.

When you say 'looks like', have you actually had any Endura stuff lately ?
Not lately, but I still have a rain jacket that I bought years ago, it's as good as the day I bought it and I use it frequently.

A lot of the fox shorts used to come out of the Philippines, but you have Vietnam, Malaysia and India mass producing also.

ozzybmx

I don't own any PI, but I thought it was produced elsewhere in Asia
I have several items of each brand mentioned and they are expensive enough to be made in the countries that their name suggests.

My 3 pairs of Swiss Assos bibs are made in Bulgaria :oops:

Giordana Italy and the other label is very vague.

Pearl Izumi, the gear I looked at, jersey is China, the Gilet Vietnam and both pair of X-Project One shoes are China.