Search results

1. _______

Downcountry...Upduro.....Just a 27.5 fun xc bike?

I deadset want his shoes hey. Such ankle protection. Much flat sole. O wait I stopped riding :(
  2. _______

Living with a bike you're not sure on

I felt drawn to this thread by the title but having read through it my "advice" has completely changed: I persevered with the "maybe not quite right" bike for 18 years (not a typo) before back pain every ride finally convinced me that not only was my bike too small, but had probably always been...
  3. _______

COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ICYMI on the ABC news last night: antibody test is largely a thing (pending more test testing [haha] to work out its accuracy, scope, side effects etc.). Kinda buried in this: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-01/antibody-tests-get-a-grip-on-coronavirus-we-need-to-know-had/12109780...
  4. _______

Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

just wait until he gets it in his head to go after @jack for some idiotic reason or other like alex jones did; 0-banned real quick...
  5. _______

Irony is of course that Bunnings could easily sell to anyone exclusively online or with door pickup for only the oversize items with only staff allowed in the store. In fact this is what a mate who works there was saying management told them on the day of the cafe/pub/gym closures. If the...
  6. _______

China literally paid our asking price for commodities in a free market? If capitalism is so great, and we needed them more, why didn't we negotiate a better deal for ourselves by pricing them appropriately then? Or do we only like it when people do as we ask when it ends up fucking them over?
  7. _______

That's an excessively reductionist comparison with the recent past: in the 1920s people from less than 20 countries were able to travel widely, and arguably less than ten were profiting from global trade in any way conducive to what might be considered national affluence. A lot of the poster...
  8. _______

making testable predictions with alarming confidence. must be pished.

making testable predictions with alarming confidence. must be pished.
  9. _______

Then they're loyal to Will. Then George. Then Charlotte. Then Louis. For the kids Hazza could be regent, but Kate would win in a squaddie fight, so he'd be a fool not to let her do it. James Hewitt now buying loads of toilet paper in preparation for an SAS raid.
  10. _______

Putin would be a fool not to capitalise on anit-chinese sentiment in africa limiting their recovery aid soft power projection, if he has the wherewithal. His troll farms should already be looking to get trump back in in a big way; the crisis will drive even more eyeballs to social networks as...
  11. _______

here: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/24/hundreds-of-nsw-prisoners-could-be-released-early-under-covid-19-emergency-powers up north: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/prisoners-in-nt-could-be-released-to-avoid-coronavirus-infection/12086798 looks like draft leg. only...
  12. _______

gotta use recovered numbers from ~1-2 weeks ago (but can't expect an exact time), not current: diers do it before they're at the same point in their infection as recoverees are pronounced "well again". The wonders of statistics and assumptions with fast evolving populations. These are a...
  13. _______

i know its from 20 pages ago, i'm well behind, but this: might be the most concise argument for a properly mixed economic model, much better than i could distill: "let the free market drive profit, reward competition for the good times but dear god don't rely on commercial interests to put...
  14. _______

Yeah ok that was conflating mortality from covid19 overall with mortality in 60+ (which does the bulk of the stats obvs vs a more even spread in the flu) and in an overwhelmed system (Italy) not like I made out a coping one (Korea). My bad. Still, high five to not living in Iran right now...
  15. _______

you basing that sweeping generalisation on this one preprint in bioRxiv (i.e., not even peer reviewed)? https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.13.990226v1 I'm not a macaque so I'll keep waiting for more evidence. I think something that starts at 30x average flu mortality with room...
  16. _______

fair point, but previous "novel" CoV variants have all [seemed to] originate in one species (in which it may be worth assuming they've been endemic for some time), be triggered by an environmental factor (husbandry, ecology change etc.) to successfully transfer to an intermediate mammalian host...
  17. _______

still not ipso facto immunity, just a place on the bell curve and/or an indicator of severity of future infections (c.f. common cold)
  18. _______

there is no strong evidence that recovered sufferers are significantly less likely to be infected again, immediately. you couldn't get ethics approval to expose them again. there is no possibility of assessing the time any immunity might last beyond a few months, obviously, by any means. there...
  19. _______

Beware the unexamined assumptions behind statistics: Are they still testing as much as they were, or are they going easy on the kit supply/experiencing overload? Although the evidence for it is only a small proportion so far, there are reported cases of reinfection after recovery, and the...