COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
So with Maydena shutting down from April 26th, I'm currently trying to decide if I proceed with the annual trip to Thredbo for Easter. I've got until the end of the month to make a call, until then I can still recoup flights & accommodation.

What's people thoughts? I'm keen for the ride & don't want to be over-reacting, but it's looking like a risky proposition that places might close. That and all the chances of getting sick on the way there / while there, getting stuck, etc. I'm thinking it's a bust & the safe thing to do is just cancel.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
no it's not.
Its just a coincidence the police are there when you're there...
The local Stocklands here pays the police to patrol it.
So, the people that they are looking for just do whatever they do outside of the Stocklands. Problem moved.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So with Maydena shutting down from April 26th, I'm currently trying to decide if I proceed with the annual trip to Thredbo for Easter. I've got until the end of the month to make a call, until then I can still recoup flights & accommodation.

What's people thoughts? I'm keen for the ride & don't want to be over-reacting, but it's looking like a risky proposition that places might close. That and all the chances of getting sick on the way there / while there, getting stuck, etc. I'm thinking it's a bust & the safe thing to do is just cancel.
I'd cancel. Not so much for over reacting but there is an excellent chance places will get closed and I'd hate to lose my money. Go another time bro.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Spent the last six months meticulously organizing our annual moto ride around Tas. Six days of accommodation booked.
12 friends & family coming....mostly from the mainland. Day One was this Monday.
Ain't gonna happen now. But we will postpone it rather than cancel. It's a first-world complaint compared to others' situations.
Have a family holiday booked to Queensland in late April.......see above :rolleyes:

I have mixed feelings about all this fear shit. I just can't buy into the exaggerated "crisis" crap in the main stream media.
I understand action must be taken because the virus is spreading......but fuck me, the economic damage (and therefore social) is going to be terrible for so many hard working people.
It has taken so many years to get Tasmania's tourism economy to where it is now....

Is the virus really that bad? Am I even allowed to ask that question without being shouted down?
Will the shut-downs/isolations ultimately prove futile?
Nothing in this world is black & white (no matter how bad people want things to be)....but are we overreacting on a macro level, when you consider the long term collateral damage? If you just go ultra-hard on isolation & take the worst-case projections as gospel, have you lost perspective?
I guess we just don't know enough about the bug yet, huh? (well, I don't anyway)
Way more questions than answers.

It's also interesting talking to people/friends/family. Those of us that are glass-half-full by default have pretty different views than the normally glass-half-empty peeps. I know the virus doesn't care how you feel about it - but there is an intangible and significant effect/result of attitude that manifests in behaviour.....and therefore outcomes.

(I expect some of you will now dismiss most of my musings with hard science, graphs, data & a thinly veiled lecture. That's cool. I'm just musing, not proclaiming or stating. Like I said, mixed feelings indeed)
Most mountainbikers will have the upper hand in any case with good health and a strong respiratory system, from what I understand it can have severe implications if there's other health issues involved or you happen to pass it onto people with those issues. It's a good idea not to cause it to spread for many reasons, you'll end up with hospitals full of virus infected people blocking the system up and where it can keep on mutating into new viruses.

Now the panic buying is really pissing me off, it's stupid and uncalled for, I'm hearing that they're needing to employ Bouncers in country towns to stop non-locals buying everything up, old people are going without so it's a good thing that they'll be limiting the sale of products per shopper.

Last edited:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'd cancel. Not so much for over reacting but there is an excellent chance places will get closed and I'd hate to lose my money. Go another time bro.
That's what I was thinking. Not a small amount of coin either once you factor in flights, car rental & accommodation for me & the family. Ah well, worlds got bigger problems than me not being able to go on a fancy Mtb trip I guess.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
This is the beginning of the great restructuring of our society and return to the power of established wealth, as in the days of old. The reptilian masters will be ready to scoop up the discount rate properties of the aspirational over mortgaged. The savings and investments of regular people will be destroyed. The master race will revive the economy under the lies of trickle down economics through hand outs and benefits for those already in positions of power while the rest of us beg for relief. As demonstrated in the first round of relief The Australian virtue of mateship and comradery will be further broken than we have already seen with the panic shoppers. The need for public safety will see the erosion of our civil liberties and our right to move and mobilise. It will be a return to serfdom in the new order. The police presence will grow and we will be told it is normal to have them watching us at all times. There will be food rations and our diet will be dictated to us.

Fuck me! The government better have a good coffee game in this horrible future! At least those terminator robots could be programmed to make a god brew.
Nice one, Jello.

Happy Trails!

stirk

Burner
So during lockdown, if it happens, I suppose the best option for going on a ride is at night or early morning under cover of darkness lest you get seen and reported and potentially fined.

Alternatively ride with some shopping bags, yes officer I'm just going shopping for essentials and I'm covered in mud because i haven't washed my clothes since pre lockdown.

Ah, why did I ride out of the bush trail over there? I thought it was a short cut.....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Covid19 Antibody test is very close. Once we have that we will know if we get immunity afterwards or not.
absolutely IMO its likely that infection will confer immunity for months/years , very unlikely to be reinfected , stories like that, its more likely they never got over it.
If the virus mutates like flu, I think we would have seen it as a major disease in the past not just now.

FigBo0T

I have never listened to the sea Kennedys. I don know what this could be implying
Here are the lyrics, precious.

I am Emperor Ronald Regan
Born again with fascist cravings
Still, you make me president
Human rights will soon go 'way
I am now your Shah today
Now I command all of you
Now your gonna pray in school
I'll make sure they're christian too
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Ku Klux Klan will control you
Still you think it's natural
Nigger knockin for the master race
Still you wear a happy face
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Welcome to 1984
Are you ready for the Third World War?!?
You too will meet the secret police
They'll draft you and they'll jail your niece
You'll go quietly to boot camp
They'll shoot you dead, make you a man
Don't worry, it's for a cause
Feeding global corporations' claws
Die on a brand new poison gas
El Salvador or Afghanistan
Making money for President Regan
And all the friends of President Regan
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California

FigBo0T

So during lockdown, if it happens, I suppose the best option for going on a ride is at night or early morning under cover of darkness lest you get seen and reported and potentially fined.

Alternatively ride with some shopping bags, yes officer I'm just going shopping for essentials and I'm covered in mud because i haven't washed my clothes since pre lockdown.

Ah, why did I ride out of the bush trail over there? I thought it was a short cut.....
I put this on my hardtail yesterday

https://www.pushys.com.au/bc-front-wire-mesh-basket-w-qr-handlebar-mount-black.html

_______

Is an alien from 2007
Covid19 Antibody test is very close. Once we have that we will know if we get immunity afterwards or not.
absolutely IMO its likely that infection will confer immunity for months/years , very unlikely to be reinfected , stories like that, its more likely they never got over it.
If the virus mutates like flu, I think we would have seen it as a major disease in the past not just now.
fair point, but previous "novel" CoV variants have all [seemed to] originate in one species (in which it may be worth assuming they've been endemic for some time), be triggered by an environmental factor (husbandry, ecology change etc.) to successfully transfer to an intermediate mammalian host in which they mutate, making them transmissible to humans, whence they emerge as SARS/MERS/whatever.

that point alone gives it "mutant skill points" in my mind, but then if you like you can suppose the mutation stops outside the intermediate animal population. With this one though there isn't even yet a good candidate for the intermediate host (despite WHO stipulating search and confirmation as a key action point, funding etc.). Sure "we just ain't found it yet" is most likely, but if there isn't one... what does that tell us about the mutability of the RNA in humans?

FigBo0T

Good choice, can it hold 9 litres?
Yep. Was chatting with an old hairy fella on a Harley in the P.O carpark after I got it, and opened the box on the back of the ute.

First thing he said was "oh yeah, that'll hold a carton".

Not sure on its weight bearing abilities though. Similar setups in the same store go for $80?