Search results

1. McPete

NSW Sold

Item: 2008 Merida Matts HFS4000 Frame, Medium, Silver. Location: Wollongong, NSW Item Condition:Very good- A few little scratches where you'd expect, but it's solid. Reason for selling: It's too small for me, I've bought an XTC carbon frame to replace it. Price and price...
  2. McPete

Choosing a steel hardtail... Sanderson Breath/Life or Kinesis Decade Virsa?

G'day all, I've finally admitted that my lovely little Merida Matts 18 inch frame is too small for me, after almost a year of ownership... In my travels, I'd seen the Sanderson Breath, and thought that was a pretty nifty little bike, so I asked my LBS to track down a large frame for me...
  3. McPete

2008 Fox TALAS 32 RCL- Rebound problems!

Hi all, Cleaning my bike after today's ride, I noticed a rather dramatic problem with the TALAS 32s on my Reign; That is they're not rebounding at any sensible speed. From a solid press down, they take a good 10 seconds or so to return to full length, and that's with only the weight of the...
  4. McPete

I gave the STP the flick...

And bought a Reign 0. 2008 model. For the moment, it's stock as a rock, so if you're especially interested in what bits are on it, Giant's website should be able to tell you. Anyhoo- I bought this bike because, franky, I was sick of being limited to going downhill. Yes, amongst my normal...
  5. McPete

Reign 0-Making a rather nasty noise

G'day all, Getting back from a ride today, and I noticed that my near-new Reign 0 is making a rather off-putting and loud creaking sound when the rear suspension is compressed. It only happens when you're a good way into the travel; that is, I can bounce on the pedals to make it happen, but I...
  6. McPete

A handling question- Single pivot designs

Hi all, Today I've been doing a bit of messing around with a few different DH bikes, and seeing how they corner. This is also helping me cast around, looking for my own DH bike (I currently ride an STP for reference). Of particular interest was a Cove Peeler, in the way that it cornered...
  7. McPete

Stromlo- Easter Long weekend?

Hi all, I'll be down Canberra way over the Easter long weekend, and I'm planning to go a fair bit of riding on Stromlo. Is anyone else going to be riding there over the long weekend? P.
  8. McPete

2008 STP0 stolen- Wollongong-FOUND; HELLS YEAH!

Bike: 2008 STP 0 Colour: Baby/sky blue Date it was stolen: 10/2/08 at 1:20 Where it was stolen: Balgownie Village shops- Outside the newsagent Specs: Stock, save for red Primo Super Tenderiser pedals(one moulded pin snapped, lots of wear on the edges), near new Red compound pads. Maxxis...
  9. McPete

All Mountainy/Freeridery rigs

Folks; I've been enjoying my STP immensely, but I'm starting to feel the upgrade bug biting. I've been looking at dualies. This being Australia, and me being a not so bold rider, I've decided that an out-and-out DH rig is a bit far advanced for me. What I ride is mostly downhill and...
  10. McPete

Threaded headsets, quill stems and suspension

Folks, Today I stumbled across an old 4130 chromo framed mountain bike in a friend's shed, an Apollo Kosciusko. I found myself getting an urge to make an offer for it, so I could do myself a nice older XC machine to compliment my stock-as-a-rock Mk.1 Stumpjumer. However, the bike runs a...
  11. McPete

This is a bit of an upgrade!

Some of you may remember my last thread in this area, detailing my old Mk.1 Stumpjumper. Things have improved! Enter... ...McBling, my new fat-tyre toy! It's a pretty much stock 2008 Giant STP 0, so that's; SRAM X-7 shifter and rear mech, Avid Juicy 3 hyrdro anchors, Rockshox Argle 318-...
  12. McPete

SR Suntour; What do we know about their stuff?

Folks; I've been perusing the inter-webs and I came across the website of SR Suntour, makers of a lot of the parts on my old road bike. I've seen a lot of their forks on fairly basic XC bikes and the like, but I was slightly staggered to learn they make a rather serious looking Triple-clamp...
  13. McPete

Wollongong People- Heads up

Folks, I went for a ride up Bally Track today. On my way in I passed a National Parks Ranger, who said I was right to go up as far as the bottom of the mine, but above that is national park. I didn't go up any further than the opening of the best trail, but two rangers in a Landcruiser Ute...
  14. McPete

Avid Juicy 3s- Thoughts?

Folks; I'm looking at possibly buying a STP0 fairly soon, and all seems pretty much right with it save for the brakes. They're a bit of an unknown quantity. Avid Juicy 3s. I did a search on here and on MTBR, no mention on here and MTBR seems a 50/50 split between people who hated them and...
  15. McPete

Mk.1 Specialized Stumpjumper

Amid the many thousand dollar machines and highly skilled riders on here, there's a hack and his old XC basher. Yep, an original StumpJumper :P What bits? Er, well there's a rather old Deore XT Groupset(w/ thumbshift!) on there, biopace chainrings, Shimano V brakes front and back. Frame and...
  16. McPete

$2k's worth of weekend warrior machine?

Hi folks, I've been recommended to come here and ask about spending some money on a dirt machine, so here's my conundrum; I've got an as yet hypothetical $2000 to spend on a bike. I'm after an all-round machine for a pretty average weekend warrior sort of bloke. I'm aware of the shed loads...