Search results

1. B

Crank set length?

And how are you going to measure that torque with a time component?
  2. B

Crank set length?

Myth and Science in cycling by James C Martin is the name of the paper that dispels the myth about crank length and power output. Good read, and let other important factors such as ground clearance and personal preference, cause it really doesn't matter.
  3. B

[27.5 UPDATE] Prototype Enduro EN01

I dunno about where you live but mid bmx bearings are about as common as it gets, just trying to help it is what i used to get some extra clearance. I think you miss understood about what i said about the idler, when you start having to pedal up hill the idler works a lot harder and you want it...
  4. B

oops posted before i saw yours, If you need some more clearance why not use a bmx bb as your pivot instead of an english shell. The idler on a trail bike is going to have to be much more durable than your down hill bike, so don't go all weight weenie there. A good example which i have found to...
  5. B

Probably because you can get a butted tube in cromo for that size, although by the look of the length you might have to use a straight gauge 34.9mm x 1.6mm or you will be welding the thin part of the tube.
  6. B

ATTN: Specialized Enduro 650b owners - help needed

You know in full honesty I am a pretty average rider, I know this because I often ride with exceptional riders that allow me to see the level of my own ability's. The one thing I have noticed is that the best riders don't spend money constantly modding or changing bits on their bikes, they just...
  7. B

ATTN: Specialized Enduro 650b owners - help needed

A 10mm rise in BB, at least for me, is really noticeable, especially when you have spent a lot of time at the lower height. Really? I jump from 317 bb height 150mm travel bike , to a 345 bb height 130mm travel bike and the only thing i notice is the more pedal clearance.
  8. B

Just Hammering along when....

Na see them little gold aluminium spacers, they are there to stop ones over enthusiasm for crushing high torque tightening of bolts. Finish line lube only which is supposed to be compatible, but hey who knows maybe i spilled some mineral oil on it once when doing my brakes. Or maybe it really...
  9. B

Just Hammering along when....

As the title says i was doing my best to hit everything as good as my limited skills and dubious line choice's allow. When an unusual noise started coming from my drive train, on closer inspection this was the culprit. Now i am not surprised it broke, as in the last 3 months it has picked fights...
  10. B

Dremel - better cutting discs?

Exactly, if you are cutting plate just a jigsaw with a timber cutting blade and a bit of wax on it will make short work of anything under 10mm.
  11. B

Does womens specific mean much?

Matching wheel size to frame size on a totally unique platform for each is exactly how the bikes should be designed. As has already been mentioned the liteville 301 and the norco sight and range also have scaled rear ends. Frames with different front to rear centers ratio's as well as wheel base...
  12. B

Does womens specific mean much?

I don't think the slight variations in top tube geometry mean much, except for lower stand over height is great for shorter women. I think it is fairly obvious to all, the main physical difference is height between the sex's and not torso, leg ratio marketing rubbish. This brings me to a mostly...
  13. B

Suspension DW Link vs Split pivot Vs maestro

In path analysis, there is a section called "natural mirror bike" which explains that any of the 4 bar linkage set ups can be paired with single pivot on one side of the same bike. This should clearly show that it is the pivot placement or instant center (virtual pivot) position that decides...
  14. B

Suspension DW Link vs Split pivot Vs maestro

Hi mate download a copy of the program linkage and then have a read of path analysis by Ken Sasaki. Then read the theory section on the itrack suspension web site, which gives very simple explanations of anti squat, anti rise etc. This should equip you with the tools you need to make a decision...
  15. B

Zee brakes for the bigger man?

i would go for the slx brakes and save some money, been running them for years with big rubber 2.5 tyres (braking is as much about ground contact patch, as it is about caliper, rotor). This includes a trip to the french alps and never once thought my brakes were not powerful enough. ps bike +...
  16. B

Intense Carbine Locked and Loaded (get tissues)

nice colours i think you need one of these for a more professional look though :thumb:
  17. B

physics of cornering

Like most things that seem simple it is really just a matter of perspective, like expanding the scale of satellite images to measure the coast line of Australia. The more you expand, the more accurate the measurement becomes until the point when the coastline is always changing and no longer...
  18. B

physics of cornering

An urban myth dating back to the early 1900s, since then physics has gone on to perform as one of the fundamental tools for the development of all our modern technology and certainly did predict the atomic bomb :nerd:. A good bit of light reading on the subject can be found in Vittore...
  19. B

Gravey Train

Well why don`t we nominate some riders and all have a vote and give out the Rotorburn rider of the year award?. Surely an award decided by people who love and ride moutain bikes would carrier more weight in the eyes of winner. I will even pledge $100 towards the winners prize of a tattoo that...
  20. B

Finished! On-One Inbred

how about "Pig Squealer" being an inbred an all that