Search results

1. S

Rotor compatibility - Elixir CR

I have a rotor on the shelf that I acquired at a race in 2007: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.A2Z-Teppan-Yaki-SP3-Disc-Brake-Rotor_118144.htm It mentions compatability with Hayes and Shimano on the packaging but is silent on Avid. Is it likely to be compatable with my Elixir CRs...
  2. S

replacing worn cogs

Chain is slipping on my commuter on the bottom cog. Is it viable to replace the bottom one to three cogs (when I replace a chain). It not just a matter of cheap-skating (talking about a small amount of money), it is about not wanting to throw the whole thing out when it is just the bottom...
  3. S

MTBA Marathon Championships - Canberra 10 June

Details are here. Who is in? Just wondering the rationale for the large proportion of FT?
  4. S

Fitting a front derailleur

I bought a Deore derailleur for one bike but then realised that it didn't actually need replacing (just needed a fiddle - naughty shop guy). I was about to put it on the commuter but two issues came up and I am not sure what to do: 1. The clamp is too big - can I use a shim? Can I...
  5. S

Any advice for solo pit crew

OK, I have a bunch of pit crew, most of whom have not done solo support before. Is there any good advice out there for them from experienced pit supporters? I am talking about the stuff that the rider doesn't think about?
  6. S

build a single speed - compatable with v brakes

I want to build a single speed xc bike on the cheap. I have some nice wheels and xtr v-brakes that I wish to use. I am already encountering difficulties relating to v-brake mounts. Can anyone recomend reasonable forks and frame (second hand). Feel free to spruik the bits from your shed (by...
  7. S

Putting together a program for a 24hr solo

I am keen to put together a program for the World Solo Champs. My goal is to ride through the night and have a great time. There seem to be a gazillion programs out there for people who can do 5 or so sessions a week. I am very time poor so am keen to get bang for my limited rides - probably...
  8. S

2010–11 Sport Leadership Grants and Scholarships for Women - application due 30 April

Has anyone heard about the 2010–11 Sport Leadership Grants and Scholarships for Women through the Australian Sports Commission? The purpose of the grant program is to promote women in leadership (it is not a program to increase participation per se, but we can assume that would be a positive...
  9. S

sticky piston - Elixir CRs

I have Elixir CRs. I am having trouble pushing the pistons back and don't want to force them. They will not return to be flush with the calliper. I put new pads in and they were right up against the rotor. If I pump the levers (with no pads in) there is movement and I can push them back...
  10. S

XT/ Deore

I need a derailleur in a hurry. LBS didnt have an XT to replace mine, only Deore. I am also keen to save some money as I have some major repairs in store. What is the difference in performance? XT feels cleaner, than my old bike, but I am not sure if that was about going from something a bit...
  11. S

Girls at the Scott 24hr

Let's hear some stories from the Scott. Who went, how did you go? Is it me, or are there fewer and fewer of us each year? I was in a great team of four. One of my team was a good friend that I had not raced with before (and she had not raced for a few years - more of a runner). She was so...
  12. S

How do I prepare a bike for sale

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question. This is not an ad. I want to sell my dually and dont want to throw too much money at it, but clearly want to put a good bike forward. It was a great bike for me and I want someone else to love it. I think I would be lucky to get about...
  13. S

cheapest phone with mapping capability

Can anyone recomend a cheap mobile phone that supports some sort of trail mapping function. I want to be able to go for a ride and plot my route onto a googlemap or equivalent, distance and altitute would also be nice, but not essential. I am not in the market for an i-phone. Thanks
  14. S

Girls teams at the Mont?

Who is riding the Mont? There has been a devastating lack of women in all of the races I ridden recently. What is going on?
  15. S

I need a Mont entry

We missed out. Please reply direct if you can help. Thanks
  16. S

Which chain rings and BB

I need to replace my BB (creaking) and chain rings (worn). How do I choose? Dont have loads of cash so am going to have to do it myself. I have some help to install. Really just need a recommendation. Am a fairly conservative, 65kg (XC, enduro) rider, always keen to loose weight on a 15kg...
  17. S

stiff shifters

I feel as if I am going to break my thumbs shifting onto my large cog on my commuter (Shimano Acera 8 speed 11-28). I have just replaced the cables and lubed everything up, but it is still happening. I find that if I loosen the cables any further, I can't get the range. Any suggestions...