Search results

1. S

Photos being used to identify MTBers

Came across some signs along a trail I was riding saying photos were being taken and would be used to identify people. Fines would be issued. This is not a national park. Anyone heard of this stuff happening?
  2. S

Consequence of running fork at lower than recommended pressure

As the title says is there any consequences of running the fork at lower than recommended pressure. The Rockshox pressures for my weight same too high. If I pump it up to that pressure, the fork feels way too firm. I don't get full travel riding my local trail.
  3. S

Which chainring to get?

I need a new middle chainring. The cranks I have are Shimano FC-M442-8, Octalink Spline. Running 3x9. I'm not sure which ones of the following will fit http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-xt-m751-lx-m571-middle-chainring/rp-prod5702...
  4. S

Opinions on Bontrager xr4 tyres

Hello, I'm still considering my options for a new front tyre. Im using a 2.25 ardent at 23psi. Can't say I'm overly impressed. Bit sketchy on loose stuff around corners. Having a look at tread patterns, the Bontrager looks ok. Has good transitional noobs. They got a good wright up by Flow...
  5. S

Maxxis Minions 2.35 vs 2.5

I'm thinking of trying the Maxxis Minion tyre but undecided on which size to try. I do only general trail riding. At the moment I'm running an 2.25 Ardent front and crossmark rear. Looking for more grip up front. Do the Minions grip well in loose sandy conditions? I've read that the 2.35 Minions...
  6. S

Saddle bags with dropper post

Wondering if anyone is using a saddle bag with dropper posts? I've seen some that attach to the seat rail only but not sure how stable and secure they are? Anyone got recommendations on what to get? It need to be big enough to fit wallet, keys, phone and multitool. Another option would be to try...
  7. S

Best way to check tyre pressures

Getting new wheels so I'm changing from Schrader valve to presta. That means I need to get a new tyre pressure gauge. 2 options- new pump with pressure gauge or new pressure gauge. For the pump option i'm looking at the Topeak Joe Blow Mountain pump...
  8. S

Fitting Maxxis tyres on Stan's rims

Looking for some new tyres to go on my Stan's Crest rims. Been reading some people having a hard time getting certain tyres onto these rims. So before I order new tyres, has anyone had trouble getting Maxxis Adrents 2.25 or Crossmarks 2.1 onto Crest rims? Also considering Hans Dampf 2.3. Will be...
  9. S

Thoughts on Stan's 3.30 hubs

Still on the look out for new wheels. Settled for Stan's Crest rim but unsure on the hubs. Choice is between the Stans hub or Hope pro 2 evos. Anyone have experience with the stock Stan's 3.30 hubs? Can anyone confirm their points of engagement compared to a Hope Pro 2 Evo? They seem...
  10. S

Opinions on Superstar Switch EVO hubs

Anyone tried the Superstar Switch Evo hubs? http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=342 Do they have good engagement? How do they compare to Hope Pro 2 Evos?
  11. S

Durability Stan's Crest wheels

Still considering options for wheel upgrade. Was considering Stan's Crest or Arch Ex. I'm fairly light, 60 kg. how durable are the Crests for general trails, no huge jumps or drops eg. Lake parra, manly dam, OMV? Only ride once a week, about 15 km. Spoke to a well respected wheel builder who...
  12. S

Anyone tried a 9mm thru axle?

Looking to upgrade my wheels. I have standard QR forks. Seeing I will be getting new hubs, I wondered if the 9mm thru axles are any stiffer than the normal QR skewers? Am I right in assuming these fits the standard QR fork and frame? Looking at these...
  13. S

X Fusion vs Fox Triad Rear Shock

Looking at swapping my X Fusion O2 RLA rear shock on my Spesh FSR XC Comp to a Fox Triad shock. Just wondering if anyone has made this change and what people's opinions are of the Fox Triad. My bike is the bottom of the range so it came with RS Tora forks and the x fusion shock. I have since...
  14. S

Need help choosing components

I am looking to upgrade my cassette and chain rings but before I order them, I would like to be sure that they will fit. My current components are: Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t CRANKSET shimano FC-M442-8, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings w/ alloy outer chainrings 22S x 32S x 44A I...
  15. S

rear shock i2i lengths

Hello, I'm look at upgrading my rear shock. the spec for the original is 7.5 x 1.75. however i've found one that's 7.25 x 1.75. so that's a difference of about 5mm. any chance this shock would still fit on my bike? the other option would be to get one that's 7.5 x 2 and get a suspension...
  16. S

NPWS MTB Info Day - Pennant Hills, Sat 5 November 2011

Just a reminder to all that NPWS are holding an information day at Pennant Hills this Saturday. This could be a major turning point for MTB in Sydney. Show your support and turn up in numbers. Hopefully something good will come of this and we can get a legal trail in this area of Sydney...
  17. S

Reminder- Lake Parramatta Submissions close Friday 7th October

Just reminding everyone that submissions for Lake Parramatta close Friday 7th October. Make sure you get one in on time. Written submissions should be addressed to: Draft Lake Parramatta Reserve Plan of Management, PO Box 32, Parramatta NSW 2124 Ph: (02) 9806 5000 Fax: (02) 9806 5917...
  18. S

Lake Parramatta draft Plan of Management

Hi All, A draft Plan of Management for Lake Parramatta is currently on exhibition. And it doesn't look good for MTB in this area. If you ride these trails please take the time to have a look and email the council your opinions. Submissions close 7 October 2011. Make your voices be heard...