Search results

1. P

What are you listening to NOW?

A bit of Afrobeat to finish the working week
  2. P

Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Using this grinder this week seems appropriate. It was handed down to me from my father and was made in Val di Fassa.
  3. P

Strange encounters on the trails

Nope, wasn't home this arvo. Had a street full of deer when I came home tonight. Almost euthanised one with my car.
  4. P

Well, the signs the Parks put up are for legal controlled culling of deer. They could be out there any time, anywhere, any night for the next 4 months. However, headless deer and deer with arrows in them are indicators the illegal "game" hunters are around too.
  5. P

Can't night ride in the Royal National Park for the next 4 months. The sharp shooters might mistake you for a Rusa deer.
  6. P

A few years back one morning I was riding in the Royal National Park just south of Sydney. Coming from Marley beach on a fire trail I came up behind and passed a naturist jogging along in just Dunlop Volleys and specs. Said hi and he didn't even glance at me. The kicker was about 500m further up...
  7. P

Dealing with injury risk

I'm definitely getting more risk averse as I age. Worst riding accident was a fractured wrist. Recovery from that took months. I'm sticking with a 100mm XC duallie to try and stop myself getting carried away. Still regularly come off, usually low speed tech sections. Cycling for me is a...
  8. P

New riding group or get an ebike ?

I'm less than 10 years younger and still happy with pure pedal power when riding with my mates but I do miss a couple of guys who just don't get out much any more due to age, injuries or medical conditions. I miss the chat, free advice and general commentary. I think an e-bike would be a great...
  9. P

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Nice report @carpetrunner. I rode that track from Nerriga to Sassafras back in 2018 and sounds like some things haven't changed. The track in and camp spots near the Endrick River end weren't well defined so I stopped in a clearing near the river. There was a open grassy section in the middle...
  10. P

percentage of riders who use Strava

This FitBikeAlert sounds interesting. I've been manually entering my cycle computer data into an Excel spreadsheet for years (still seems to amuse my riding mates regularly) and using the numbers to know how many Ks the chainset/wheelset/brakes/tyres on each bike has done. It all falls down...
  11. P

percentage of riders who use Strava

I'm competitve and I like the stats so yer I use Strava but I don't let it rule my ride. I've scored a KOM here and there but I'm old enough and I've done enough races to not get too carried away by it and I know where I fit into the big picture. I would never put myself or other riders in...
  12. P

2016 Highland Fling - Sunday 13 November

Good to hear your reports re the Fling. I volunteer for this event and usually hang out all day around Wingello SF trying to help things run smoothly. Apparently the overall number of riders was similar to last year with a bit of a shift from the Half to the Some. Maybe more people doing like...
  13. P

Post your 29er!

410 x 31.6 layback. Close but no cigar.
  14. P

Post your 29er!

What size seat post are you after?
  15. P

New bike suggestions - Low maintenance commuter

I've been doing a 30+km commute a coupla times a week for some years now. Tried the full suspension MTB, road bike, flat bar roadie, flat bar 29er MTB. The full suspension may well be more fun at times but over that distance becomes a drag. The roadie is definitely fastest if you stick to the...
  16. P

Winter jacket

I found if I wear my windproof vest/gillet over a base layer and then covered by a long sleeve jersey it traps more heat and lets less wind in than if I wear it as the outer layer. Not that it gets too cold where I ride generally but it works nicely at around 3C.
  17. P

FOUND Keys at Wylde Western Sydney Mountain Bike Park

Found a set of keys that definitely look like they belong to a mounatin biker beside the track at Wylde on Sat 24th Apr. Describe them and I'll mail them to you.
  18. P

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

I'm glad too this thread is still going. I've been watching for a while now but probably fall into the camp of worrying have I got the right gear so haven't got out there bikepacking yet :fear: I've got a few house reno's to finish at the moment and then think like Elbo I've just got to give...
  19. P

Mont 24 advice

"There was only 31 ovr 40 six packs as it was" pharmaboy, I counted 46 x 6 packs and 57 x foursomes, 504 riders all up across the Honest 40s categories. Must be a fair number of over 50s in there. Not sure if it's enough to justify another age bracket but the time might be getting close.
  20. P

Mont 24 advice

I observed at the Mont plenty of older riders going around the track and milling around the event centre. I was just wondering if there would be enough riders out there to justify an over 50s team category or two? Our team in the over 40s had 3 over 50 riders and a few of our riding mates...