Search results

1. E

Disc mount shock with rim brakes

Question not thought through. Sorry
  2. E

Sandy bits

How do you stop your bits getting sandy? That stuff is just going to destroy any moving parts. Or do you just have to keep stripping everything back and relubing it? Being on the Northern beaches, everything around here has sand. Are particular lubes better? I have tried oil and graphite...
  3. E

7 speed - old skool stylee

I like doing things the hard way. (I'm the Avalanche fixer Picked up a rooted MT220 (24") for my son. WD40 special. He loves it but the components are going to fall apart. I think I'm answering the questions in my head as I type. I want him to ride 1xsomething (He's the kind of kid who...
  4. E

Barrel adjusters?

After much cursing and looking up on the Internet , I think I have finished my 1 x 10 conversion. One thing that threw me - there was no barrel adjuster for the rear dérailleur. The zee front shifter came with a barrel adjuster on it as well as cable installed but there was no 2nd barrel...
  5. E

1x10 build

Hi, all. My 1x10 kit arrived today and I am going at it hell for leather. Then I thought ... it might be smart to ask for advice!!!! What to do/not to do Going from 3x9 to 1x10 It's a raceface narrow wide - so no chain guide needed, right? Duckmeister advised shorter steel bolts for front...
  6. E

Silk Purse Pigs Ear (Think I f----ed up)

ok.... I announced in another thread that I have a 26er bike. Apparently, I should save and get a better one rather than upgrade. Am not arguing that point, and appreciate the input regarding that. I am trying not to beat myself up and move forward. So, the f---up is that I have committed to...
  7. E

2004 gt avalanche rear derailleur pooped - upgrade?

Hi. my 2nd hand DeoreLX derailleur (lower) fell apart. The jockey wheel fell out. The components are 12 years old (all Deore LX), and I bought this to be my main bike gradually upgrading it. I was thinking of moving to 1x11 (it is currently 3x9) - I assume this means a new rear wheel or can I...
  8. E

First Real MTB

Hello. Moved into Manly area recently and am making Manly Dam a regular. Realised i needed to upgrade from my (blush) Boulder 2 I was using for commutes. Got an old GT Avalanche and am planning to upgrade it. At the moment it has all original Deore LX specs and 100mm forks. I took it for a run...
  9. E

Newbie testing

Hi, I posted for the first time yesterday but it disappeared, waiting for moderation. Testing to see what happens - see if I can get on yet ers
  10. E

The Good and the Bad

First of all, Hello. New to the forum and MTBing. Very excited. I've been hurting my head lately trying to work out how to afford a new bike. My Boulder 2 won't cut it for Manly Dam - just moved into the area and want to make it very regular. Been thinking about a slow drip build but my head...