'09 Turner bikes launched ****DHR PICS ADDED****

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah really liking the dhr..
whats the rear tyre clearance though? It screams mud collector to me, any sort of guard there we can't see stopping stuff hitting the shock?

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I sent this to Dave Turner. Please support DHD.

Hi Dave,
Bill from Downhill Direct (DHD) in Australia has always represented Turner bikes with professionalism, fervour and enthusiasm. He is a well respected and highly liked member of the Australian MTB community, as well as an excellent retail salesman. It is with great dissapointment that I hear of your change of distributors for Turner Suspension Bikes in recent times. I would like to thank you for all your positive input into mountain biking, especially through the MTBR forums. Yet I will not be purchasing any more Turner bikes in the future as previously planned, as a result of your poorly executed change of Australian distributor. I will no longer promote your brand by word-of-mouth, nor will many other disgruntled Turner owners in Australia. I am no longer a proud DHR Homer.
So-long,
Scott

gasman

Likes Dirt
Turner

Well written Scott
We can only hope that many other people pen an email to Dave Turner and express their thoughts on how Bill was treated, for years he's been doing as much as he can for the Turner brand and the local scene only to be pushed aside the moment a bigger Aussie player approaches Turner, seems strange that the moment another company heard "Turner 09 with DW link" their interest suddenly grew and the thought to screw the smaller player was the only way forward. Another Turner sale gone!!!
GASMAN

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
It's really sad... I was aiming for a DHR :(

Back to the ol drawing board...

now what's it gonna be...

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
seems strange that the moment another company heard "Turner 09 with DW link" their interest suddenly grew and the thought to screw the smaller player was the only way forward. Another Turner sale gone!!!
GASMAN
As an employee of the new distributer who happens to be kind of small company with only 7 empoyees, 5 of which are in house and 3 of the in house happen to be MTB riders and racers, I don't believe we have screwed the smaller player. Bill has done an excellent job with the brand but while it was only a side job for him, Turner believes we can give it better support as we are able to focus on the brand as we also do with other brands that we import as this is not a side job for us.
I have not heard anybody complain when we aquired Marzocchi earlier this year saying that it would lessen the brand or I would never purchase it, with our service we are trying to get a 2-3 days turnaround for repairs and warranties much faster than the previous Marzocchi importer which is what we wish to do with Turner.
To say that we won't put support back into the brand/sport or that we have bent anyone over is a bit of a letdown as we do plan on giving back with support to a DH team 5 of the riders have been picked and 1 more is in negotiations who we have embraced and was a previous DHD team rider, 1 of the picked 5 is in a contract with another bicycle brand for 12 more months but will be already using all other brands the team will be supported by.

If you count your chickens before they have hatched you are always in for dissapointment!

We at SCV Imports are very enthusiastic about getting Turner and we belive that we can do an excellent job supporting this brand

Last edited:

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
We at SCV Imports are very enthusiastic about getting Tuner and we belive that we can do an excellent job supporting this brand
You could start by calling the brand Turner.

Edit: DHD's service is excellent, friendly and enthusiastic, never impolite nor defensive, additionally an order is often shipped on the same day it is placed, or at the latest the following day. I cannot see how another company can claim to offer service better than that provided by DHD, neither can I see how Turner will benefit from taking the distribution of Turner Suspension Cycles away from DHD.

Last edited:

udi

swiss cheese
I have not heard anybody complain when we aquired Marzocchi earlier this year saying that it would lessen the brand or I would never purchase it, with our service we are trying to get a 2-3 days turnaround for repairs and warranties much faster than the previous Marzocchi importer
That's because even if you spent a year perfecting the art, you would still not manage to be as dodgy a distributor as groupe sportif. With specialties like weasling out of warranty claims, avoiding warranty claims, and pretty much doing anything they could to screw a product owner out of a legitimate warranty claim, I doubt you'd see anyone complaining that marzocchi distribution changed hands. Mathematically, support had no way to go but up.

It's a little different with Turner as you can see. Not saying you won't do the same job, but Bill offered a combo of low pricing and support that I don't think exists elsewhere in the industry over here.

clockworked

Like an orange
I tried to resist - but i'm too self righteous and picky. When you say -

If you count your chickens before they have hatched you are always in for dissapointment!
Are you saying that despite your great service record that you are going to deliver less than we are expecting?

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side

Are you saying that despite your great service record that you are going to deliver less than we are expecting?
What I was getting at is that everyone is judging us for somthing we have or haven't done yet and don't wish to do! We do not want to deliver less then the best we can do
I for one love MTB I am heavly involved in my club, I ride & I race. Everything that I am involved in I give it my all. I know that myself and my collegues will do everything we can to give the Turner brand the justice it deserves. (I hope I have worded this right)

toodles

Wheel size expert
You could start by calling the brand Turner.
Enough with nitpicking over grammar, spelling and semantics.

Personally I think that no matter how good the service level of SCV turns out to be it's going to struggle to match the effort that Bill has made to stand behind his products.

As a big fan of Turners products, I'm pretty shitty that they'd opt to move away from DH Direct after his support through the years, especially since by introducing a retail aspect to Australian Turner sales they're inevitably pushing up prices.

It also leaves me wondering about the warranty support for current Turner owners such as myself, and in general leaves a bad taste as I thought I knew what kind of support I could expect when I bought my DHR from Bill.

I know I should say - "Wait and see what SCV does with the brand", but that still leaves Bill short and in reality doesn't mesh with what I had expected when I bought my bike.

DH_Freak

Likes Dirt
i dont know what all you guys are worried about. im on the IXS/GRAVITY team under SCV imports and their support is phenominal. if i have a problem they will deal with it right away. the crew at SCV are riders aswel as hard working distributors of the best biking equipment in the world. they have the ability to see eye-to-eye with the riders and know how to meet their needs when necessary. And as for the "customer service" ( friendliness ) of the lads at SCV, they would have to be the coolest bunch of people ive met in the industry. always keen to have a chat and get to know you and they ride and race too. As Wayno said, Bill was doing DHD on the side and not doing it full time. if you think about it, SCV will be concentrating on the importance of distributing a manufacturer full time so will be always switched on and have the ability to fullfill your needs FULL TIME!
bottom line is i couldnt think of a better company to be distributing Turner. good on you boys.
Reece

dhd

Downhill Direct
OK guys, I guess I need to step in and clarify a few things....

I was not "bent over" so to speak. Turner advised me what was possibly on the cards as far as the distribution of Turner in Aust goes. I had an opportunity to plead my case and tell them what my plans were for the coming year for them. I told them the level of commitment I was up for (which was considerably more than in the past) and left at that. They could take it or leave it. It's business and Turner believe that with the onset of the DW link bikes they will outgrow us fairly quickly.
As pointed out, I do the Dhdirect thing part time as both my wife and I have very flexible hours. At the job I have I work 4 shifts a week, two of them at night. If it's not enough to satisfy the needs of Turner then so be it. I am not burnt by Turners descision, It is business and from their perspective they are doing what is best for their brand. I know DT and the sales manager did beat themselves up over it making the descision.
Am I disappointed by their descision? Yes. Burnt or shafted? No. They gave me ample opportunity to step it up a level with them.
Thanks for the many votes of confidence from all you guys and for going in to bat. It's awesome to know you've got my back!

Now, go look in the for sale section for my old DHR. Buy it. It's cheap and it's a bloody good bike!

Last edited:

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Yessum. Dogs called off.

You are a true Gentleman Bill. Get something rad to distribute so all your clientelle can remain loyal.

(I can't see the market for Turners increasing just because they changed from one old suspension design to another old suspension design, both of which have the same number of drawbacks and merits, just different ones). Don't believe the hype.