'09 Turner bikes launched ****DHR PICS ADDED****

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It is sad to see one of the good guys lose a good gig but the good people in the industry don't get their reputation simply because they sell a cool brand. They get that name for looking out for the consumer - me and you. Stick with DHDirect, the service won't change.........;)

Don't give SCV grief. I know Wayno and I know he runs a tight ship. It is good to see Turner has some forsight on things and they've landed a good deal with SCV. Don't write them, they'll do their bit for you and you'll be suitably pleased.
Loyalty is a good thing, over the top stupidity is another thing. All of a sudden some of you dislike your Turner because there is a new dealer? That's really lame..........

Good luck Bill and good luck Wayno.

gasman

Likes Dirt
Turner

Apoligies Wayno on the 'screw' comment.

I simply could not find a more appropriate term to the situation.

To clarify

DH Direct, long term current Aussie Turner distributor preparing for a potential upswing in the sales of the Turner brand on the back of the 'dw link' hype/success and quite prepared to invest inline with the potential.

SCV offers their services to Turner to distribute the already distributed Turner brand in Australia, thus taking the Major component of the DH Direct business.

(true???)

Taking on Matt Vincent is a no brainer, however I applaud you for doing this!!!

I have no personal vendetta and really nothing to gain from any of this, I also understand business, I run a business, we should turn over just shy of $50mill this year (pumping my Aussie chest proudly!!!) so your business direction makes sense to me, I just find it very rude that in the small Aussie distributor market you would seek to capitalize on another small player in this way.

Anyway, this is only the voice of one, the bike will still be a great bike and 1 less sale I am sure won't make anyone at SCV lose sleep.

Good luck to you all.

GASMAN

peanut

Likes Dirt
i dont know what all you guys are worried about. im on the IXS/GRAVITY team under SCV imports and their support is phenominal. if i have a problem they will deal with it right away. the crew at SCV are riders aswel as hard working distributors of the best biking equipment in the world. they have the ability to see eye-to-eye with the riders and know how to meet their needs when necessary. And as for the "customer service" ( friendliness ) of the lads at SCV, they would have to be the coolest bunch of people ive met in the industry. always keen to have a chat and get to know you and they ride and race too. As Wayno said, Bill was doing DHD on the side and not doing it full time. if you think about it, SCV will be concentrating on the importance of distributing a manufacturer full time so will be always switched on and have the ability to fullfill your needs FULL TIME!
bottom line is i couldnt think of a better company to be distributing Turner. good on you boys.
Reece
The only flaw in your rational is that your assuming paying customers will recieve the same service as a team rider.
Now i'm not having a go at you just emphasising a main point of differance as i'll explain.
As a team rider i assume you get things sent to you directly,you have an issue a replacement is on your door pronto?, where as joe public has to go through a bike shop.
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

lets take an example... say for bushes for a DHR.
1. First they'll have to find a bike shop who has an account with the disto to place an order. (now this can be eliminated if the disto offers a direct sales service,i don't know?)
2.They'll then get the "we have a minimum order requirement so we can't order it for 2 weeks till we fill it" BS that i've been given on too many occasions.
3. They then say we could get it overnight for $15 freight after you get narky with them, which starts to make it expensive especially after they add on the lbs margin.
4. you then have to go back to the shop to pick it up, if they actually bother to call you when the part has arrived, which in my experience can take up to 2 weeks.
5. If there is an issue they then have to go through the whole process again. or search for a more competent LBS..... which then becomes the far away bike shop because they're the only ones on the ball.
meanwhile through the whole process your bike sits in the corner unused the whole time and joe public gets crankier every time he walks past it.

Now the disto mave have done their part promptly and have the greatest service in the world but they deal through the lbs, where the above can happen and the sitution is completely out of the disto's control.
So when going from a situation with DHD where your call is returned usually within a day and the parts arrive at your doorstep about 2-3 days later it's understandable people can see where this is leading and what it means for the future purchases or maintenance to turner bikes.

So unless SCV can provide an equal or better service to joe public it's going to take a while for joe public to get used to the "new" way of doing things.

Another comment on the "full time" situation, are you under the assumption the phone is going to be ringing off the hook for turner bikes? it hasn't in the past or DHD would have been a "fulltime" business, it was only "part time" because thats all it required (correct me if i'm wrong bill) so i don't think that is a fair comparison!.

Best of luck to scv and dhd.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
too true

The only flaw in your rational is that your assuming paying customers will recieve the same service as a team rider.
Now i'm not having a go at you just emphasising a main point of differance as i'll explain.
As a team rider i assume you get things sent to you directly,you have an issue a replacement is on your door pronto?, where as joe public has to go through a bike shop.
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

lets take an example... say for bushes for a DHR.
1. First they'll have to find a bike shop who has an account with the disto to place an order. (now this can be eliminated if the disto offers a direct sales service,i don't know?)
2.They'll then get the "we have a minimum order requirement so we can't order it for 2 weeks till we fill it" BS that i've been given on too many occasions.
3. They then say we could get it overnight for $15 freight after you get narky with them, which starts to make it expensive especially after they add on the lbs margin.
4. you then have to go back to the shop to pick it up, if they actually bother to call you when the part has arrived, which in my experience can take up to 2 weeks.
5. If there is an issue they then have to go through the whole process again. or search for a more competent LBS..... which then becomes the far away bike shop because they're the only ones on the ball.
meanwhile through the whole process your bike sits in the corner unused the whole time and joe public gets crankier every time he walks past it.

Now the disto mave have done their part promptly and have the greatest service in the world but they deal through the lbs, where the above can happen and the sitution is completely out of the disto's control.
So when going from a situation with DHD where your call is returned usually within a day and the parts arrive at your doorstep about 2-3 days later it's understandable people can see where this is leading and what it means for the future purchases or maintenance to turner bikes.

So unless SCV can provide an equal or better service to joe public it's going to take a while for joe public to get used to the "new" way of doing things.

Another comment on the "full time" situation, are you under the assumption the phone is going to be ringing off the hook for turner bikes? it hasn't in the past or DHD would have been a "fulltime" business, it was only "part time" because thats all it required (correct me if i'm wrong bill) so i don't think that is a fair comparison!.

Best of luck to scv and dhd.

wow , that's soo tight. I couldn't have said it any better.

Time will tell I guess......

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That there sums up a problem in the bicycle industry. far too many people expect to get something for nothing and they want that something right now. That sucks. Yes, you are the consumer and it is a right to expect things to arrive quickly but you won't get jack shit if you don't pay for it. The sooner the world grasps that idea, the better it will be. Things take time and the process does has some downsides that normal patient people understand.
The gist of this thread is basically about loyalty to one brand or one store or retailer. You sook when the first point of contact slows your quest for world domination down but you still go back there? The internet is your answer: buy online! If something sucks enough to whinge about it then go somewhere else and pay someone else to treat you like royalty.

peanut

Likes Dirt
That there sums up a problem in the bicycle industry. far too many people expect to get something for nothing and they want that something right now. That sucks. Yes, you are the consumer and it is a right to expect things to arrive quickly but you won't get jack shit if you don't pay for it. The sooner the world grasps that idea, the better it will be. Things take time and the process does has some downsides that normal patient people understand.
The gist of this thread is basically about loyalty to one brand or one store or retailer. You sook when the first point of contact slows your quest for world domination down but you still go back there? The internet is your answer: buy online! If something sucks enough to whinge about it then go somewhere else and pay someone else to treat you like royalty.
I believe you have misquoted and taken out of context my original reply to emphasise your own misgivings about customers like me and things i have experienced in the bicycle industry.
Funnily enough i've only ever experienced those situations in the bicycle retail industry, no other retail enviroment.
I guess we have different ideas on what makes good service, I was a liquor retail manager for over 10 years and can understand both sides of the counter, but i do find that getting specific parts from bike shops can be a very frustrating experience.

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I think by comparing prices for FSA gear in australia though bike shops to mail order, and extrapolating that for turner prices we are going to see at least 30% price rises (going from $3000 to at least $4000) to get a turner DW link frame. For what, to line bike shops pockets?

Kind of stupid, all that is going to happen is it will go back to self importing bikes from overseas.

Warranty in australia for bike gear is usually not worth the paper it was written on, an exception to this was Bill and DhDirect. Mail order all the way i say, that is if i decide to by another turner, which is now not a certainty......

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I believe you have misquoted and taken out of context my original reply to emphasise your own misgivings about customers like me and things i have experienced in the bicycle industry.
Sorry, I wasn't aiming that reply at you, I should've said that in my post. You raised a topic that is a sour spot for many a rider............

stu44

Farkin Advertiser
I think by comparing prices for FSA gear in australia though bike shops to mail order, and extrapolating that for turner prices we are going to see at least 30% price rises (going from $3000 to at least $4000) to get a turner DW link frame. For what, to line bike shops pockets?

Kind of stupid, all that is going to happen is it will go back to self importing bikes from overseas.

Warranty in australia for bike gear is usually not worth the paper it was written on, an exception to this was Bill and DhDirect. Mail order all the way i say, that is if i decide to by another turner, which is now not a certainty......
mmmm, if they are retailing here for $4000 then thats still cheaper than you will be able to land one from the US at the moment, Competetive cyclist has a 5 spot listed at $2495, converted, is $3699, plus 10% GST and 5% Duty, and thats $4237 already, without any shipping at all, or any customs fees and cahrges, you would do well to get one here for less than $4400.

DHD was looking at an approx price of $3200-3300 for the 5 spot a couple of weeks back when i spoke with Bill, lets see what we are looking at Through LBS

The price of the DW Turner has risen, in the US as well, and with the Aussie Dollar going south, bikes are becoming expensive.

It will be more so the ability to act an the fluctuations in the Aussie dollar that will be affected more with the move from Direct to Distributor, at the consumer level. with the Price of dollar against US so volitile right now, Distributor will have their pricing based on the current situation, and that will more than likley be the set price for a whole season, as they will be selling to stores for Stock, which doest enable you to move very much on pricing as the dollar moves. Direct however does enable the pricing to fluctuate a bit more, if we see a resurgence of the dollar, direct sales will get cheaper again. Thats where the Consumer importing will come into it.

Last edited:

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
北京朝阳区管道疏通:1、马桶:专业疏通各种型号马桶(抹布、塑料)等各种软硬物质所造成的堵塞。2、地漏:专业疏通各种v型、北京丰台区管道疏通S型拐弯的地漏,(因为装修掉进水泥北京通州区管道疏通、沙子或头发等种原因所造成的堵塞)。 3、墫坑:对于70年代至80年代初所建的楼房蹲坑,北京大兴区管道疏通由于水质差的原因,时间一长,水垢及尿碱堆积在管道里,造成下水慢、极易堵塞,北京海淀区管道疏通本公司采用最佳技术方案专用疏通除垢机,全面清理干净彻底疏通干净。4、面盆及菜池:专业疏通各种面盆,北京朝阳区管道疏通包括(V型、S型)等的管道。5、主管道:本部备有大中小型 机械和高压清洗机,专业北京朝阳区管道疏通各种主管道,污水管道、市政管道、楼房一楼主管道及一切疑难下水道
I couldn't agree more, well said mate! I'll certainly be taking that advice, as will many others.

white falcon

Likes Bikes
Bill might be OK with it but Im not!!!

To SCV,
Just wondering if SCV will honor the dozen or so DHR frames ordered by all the loyal Turner riders from DHD when the announcement on the new model was made.
Bill gave us a quite generous deal so now I and many others are very out of pocket having to buy something else or import one.
Seems Dave Turner decided that he wouldn"t supply them to Bill after accepting the order.
Just business you say, I do business and deals everyday and your word is your word Dave Turner.
As for SCV and business its built on relationships. There is an old saying if you look after you clients/customers the business will look after itself. I and many other young riders supported by DHD are out thousands including my mate Bill"s future sales. It seems the underhanded behind my mates back approach to Turner from SCV is acceptable in business, what BS. This is business alright, bad buisness.

Second thoughts don't worry about the frames pre ordered then not honored by Dave Turncoat Turner I wouldn't ride it on principal.
12 x $4000 = nearly 50K.
Hope you do well SCV what goes around comes around. (I seem to remember supply issues with Turners. Long waits, bearing issues, cracked pivot points, pity Bills the only one in OZ who knows how to fix them properly etc)

Regards
Ross Clark

red_dog

Likes Dirt
To SCV,
Just wondering if SCV will honor the dozen or so DHR frames ordered by all the loyal Turner riders from DHD when the announcement on the new model was made.
Why should they? It wasn't their agreement...You sound very unreasonable

I dont understand the SCV bashing? They had an opportunity to acquire a solid brand - and they did. Someone had to - Be it DHD or another distributor. In this case it is another distributor.

Change is good, maybe if you strike up a relationship with SCV you will receive the same benefits - but I cant see why they would want to after your misguided tantie

gasman

Likes Dirt
Turner 2009???

This was a bit of a grave dig for this thread, but

Wasn't it an 09 launch for the DHR? I am fairly sure that 2010 bikes aren't too far away for some bike companies. I am sure White Falcon said something about 'Long Waits'.

Quote (Red Dog) "I dont understand the SCV bashing? They had an opportunity to acquire a solid brand - and they did. Someone had to - Be it DHD or another distributor. In this case it is another distributor." (Why did they? DHDirect already was the long standing Aus distributor.)

I am sure that Turner XC frames were a big part of the dhdirect business, Aren't they already available via SCV? Or direct from Turner if you want? I just did the Mont 24, About 2200 riders and never saw one new model XC Turner, I thought it might have been an excellent opportunity for SCV to plug the new frames/bikes? like Pivot did. Maybe spono conflict. Where's the new frame sales?

www.dhdirect.com.au/inferno0011.jpg

Doesn't matter, seems some have moved on anyway, well done Bill.

On top of that, have you seen the new Intense 951, money down!!!

http://dirtmag.co.uk/images/uploads/news/951-BLACK-(2)intense.jpg

Last edited:

peanut

Likes Dirt
well they are available
The 5 spot
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_78&products_id=1376
and the flux
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_78&products_id=1377

Not too surprised that you haven't seen any about, thats alot of bickies to be spending on a frame, check out the rrp!. :(
Thankfully TBSM has tried to make them more price competitive, but even then i think turner have priced themselves out of the aussie market.
The Pivot,mojo,blur etc (the main competitors) are all significantly cheaper than the turner.

Last edited:

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not too surprised that you haven't seen any about, thats alot of bickies to be spending on a frame, check out the rrp!. :(
Yep, I was hanging out for the 5 Spot, but just couldn't do that price. I have seen one in Oz though - there's a guy on a brown Sultan that we saw in Canberra. So first Turner DW-Link and it was a clown bike. How sad. :p

dhd

Downhill Direct
well they are available
The 5 spot
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_78&products_id=1376
and the flux
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_78&products_id=1377

Thankfully TBSM has tried to make them more price competitive, but even then i think turner have priced themselves out of the aussie market.
The Pivot,mojo,blur etc (the main competitors) are all significantly cheaper than the turner.
Whoa! That's the first I've seen of the new improved pricing..........
Can't wait to see the price of the new DH frame!

dhd

Downhill Direct
Why should they? It wasn't their agreement...You sound very unreasonable

I dont understand the SCV bashing? They had an opportunity to acquire a solid brand - and they did. Someone had to - Be it DHD or another distributor. In this case it is another distributor.

Change is good, maybe if you strike up a relationship with SCV you will receive the same benefits - but I cant see why they would want to after your misguided tantie
Don't mean to be a tosser at all but you obviously don't know what went on, and have only added to the SCV bashing by resurrecting this thread......

We're over it and moved on with our new BILT frame and the proto scored a podium today on the guys first ride. Not first race. His first run on my bike....Did it for a laugh and ended up pulling a better time than on his own Turner...... Our future is looking way bright!

Shredden

Knows his goats

Unless your LBS is the Torquay Cycle Factory.