11/12 VIC DH Series

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Make sure its in the middle of their race run. that would piss em off. but ey if thats what it takes :p

Staunch

Eats Squid
I wonder if there's something that can be done to solve that? Maybe a timed beeper that just beeps every 10 seconds, next rider goes at the next beep, no questions asked. Sort of like how the race timing has the 5 second alerts at 30 second splits for the race runs.
Good idea in theory, but even when it's been manually held up at the start gate in practice due to injured riders or whatever, people who want to do runs together will just stop and bunch up again a little further down the track. You can't really solve this problem in such a way, it's just something that if this is going to happen, they guys who do it need to learn to stop in appropriate places. It should really be common sense to give the person who takes off in front of you a good 10 seconds if you don't plan on following them the whole way down the track.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Maybe everyone could also be given a sheet with their race plate, outlining race and practice etiquette, such as where it's acceptable to stop, when you are expected to pull over for a faster rider to overtake, the gap you are expected to leave behind another rider in practice, what the loading procedure is for the shuttles etc.
Hmm, maybe signing something along with rego, stipulating exactly what the rules are about stopping on a track. Marshalls present at the bottlenecks could record race plates of riders who disregard the rule... and a penalty imposed... ?

That is possibly going a little far, but if the races are attracting big numbers, practice time is already limited... it might encourage riders to make the most of their time, and also make them realise by stopping haphazardly on the track, they are preventing others from getting the most out their practice time too.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
That would be the same morons that are quick to moan and piss about riders slowing them down in practice ... When clearly they aren't the fastest out there themselves
I don't think people are complaining about riders slowing them down, just people who stop halfway down the track and don't move off to the side to let others past. On a track like Barjarg it was actually quite dangerous to encounter people standing in the middle of the track on some of the really steep tech sections.

The only solution really is MUCH bigger gaps between riders. Or possibly alternating between pro and non-pro groups every hour or having slow, medium and fast brackets.

I actually had the unfortunate experience of getting shoved (while riding) by some dickhead who wanted to the track to himself, which was pretty uncool considering that the reason I was going so slowly was because I had just been stopped at a bottleneck...

People who abuse marshalls are just plain idiots and shouldn't be allowed to race at all. It's supposed to be fun people.

Staunch

Eats Squid
The only solution really is MUCH bigger gaps between riders.
That only problem is that's pretty hard to put into practice.

I know a few times I've stopped and moved off the track to have a look at a section. By the time I'm done another shuttleload has just started to come down the track after a small break between shuttles. Because of the limited practice time I'm not too keen to wait out about 40 riders until there is another gap between shuttles just to keep going, and I know most other people are the same, so I just jump back in when there's a gap (reasonable mind you) in between riders. If you force bigger gaps, there was be complains about lack of practice time.

You're never going to be able to enforce such a thing, as I already said it should just be something that's common sense, or if not that then at least reminded and encouraged. Just simply making people have a think before they pull off the track/jump back on.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Some of the tracks need areas before the tecky section that are bunted wide so rides could stop before the section leave there bike and go have a look. Makes it hard to go off the track or back on when you have to try get back through the bunting. We done this at yack in a few spots maybe we needed more.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Some of the tracks need areas before the tecky section that are bunted wide so rides could stop before the section leave there bike and go have a look. Makes it hard to go off the track or back on when you have to try get back through the bunting. We done this at yack in a few spots maybe we needed more.
I noticed the wide bunting at yack and youies, seemed to be working really really well.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely makes sense. Riders like to pull over in practice. Instead of trying to modify that, simply cater for it, with pull-out areas (rest stops) that have clear vision behind them, so a rider can then rejoin the track when it's safe to do so.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Definitely makes sense. Riders like to pull over in practice. Instead of trying to modify that, simply cater for it, with pull-out areas (rest stops) that have clear vision behind them, so a rider can then rejoin the track when it's safe to do so.
+ 1 for the clear vision behind the rider. It's not always easy to pull back onto the track when you can't see who's coming down the track.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Nats dates are up. See that Newcastle is on same weekend as Narbethong and Buller will be on two weekends in a rowe again.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nats dates are up. See that Newcastle is on same weekend as Narbethong and Buller will be on two weekends in a rowe again.
Coordination at its greatest!
(just for the record the Vic series dates were announced well in advance to the National series)

Last edited:

slamer

Likes Dirt
I think this will be a close series due to the variation of the tracks, they are all significantly different and this is great for developing your riding.
Out of interest, are the Apollo bay tracks being considered for a round? they seem to have a good infrastructure set up already and are not too far from Melbourne. however they are on private property.

Ian M

Likes Bikes
Coordination at its greatest!
(just for the record the Vic series dates were announced well in advance to the National series)
VDHS dates were anounced on the 6th of July which was well before the National series had locked in any dates. Everyone must remember that the national series is run by a private promotor as a business! They are not the ones who put the effort into building tracks or running clubs.

All riders need to think where you would prefer your money to be going before entering any events. Would you prefer your entry fees to go to local Victorian clubs who invest all the profits into building trails for the benefit of Victoria riders or would you prefer your money to line the pockets of a private promotor?

I think this will be a close series due to the variation of the tracks, they are all significantly different and this is great for developing your riding.
Out of interest, are the Apollo bay tracks being considered for a round? they seem to have a good infrastructure set up already and are not too far from Melbourne. however they are on private property.
Apollo Bay has been mentioned many times but there are huge logisitc and insurance issues to overcome. Never say never it may happen one day.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Although it's a fun place to ride, it wouldn't hold up to 300+ riders that the VDHS brings along. Also, that shuttle track to the top would fail under the shuttle pressure of a VDHS weekend. At least Mike can maintain it with his shuttle service. 6 - 9 troopiesconstantly going up and down would turn it to trash.

Ian M

Likes Bikes
Important Anouncement - FINAL Dates

After the national series dates were released the VDHS committee has been in discussions with clubs and venues to change bookings and permits to avoid any clash of dates and give our elite Victorian riders the chance to compete at both State and National events.

The new dates are:
Round 1: You Yangs // 22nd – 23rd October (no change)
Round 2: Mt Major (Shepparton) // 5th – 6th November (no change)
Round 3: Mt Beauty // 3rd – 4th December (no change)
Round 4: Mt Buller // NOW 14th & 15th January
Vic DH Champs: Narbethong // NOW 10th & 11th March
Round 5: Maldon // NOW 31st March – 1st April

Clubs have been hard at work building and changing tracks ready for these races. Some clubs still have lots of work to do so if you have any spare weekends contact a club and offer to help build. If you thought this season was going to be easy think again, all tracks except Buller will be different to what was raced last series. If you still think the tracks are easy why not try them on an old school hardtail to make things more interesting?

The VDHS committee will be finalising sponsors next week, there has been plenty of interest but it is not too late if you are interested in being part of the biggest DH series in the country! Visit our website www.vicdhseries.com for more information.

Also check check out the VDHS facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001731381759
We have some exciting plans for the facebook page this series so become a friend of the VDHS to be part of the action, keep upto date with the latest info and chat with your fellow riders.

Only 8 weeks to the first race! So get practicing.

Last edited: