11/12sp compatibility Q

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Well, let's face, we are almost due for another innovative wheel or hub size coupled with cranksets that need several sizes of offset chainrings.
C'mon Bike Industry, get on it and do what you do best.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Please shhhh until I’ve at least sorted this one :(
I hear you and will be hitting my square pegs into round holes also in future.
Trying to get newer parts to work the the recycled stuff from the parts bin. Not wanting to go back to fully sik 1995 mode either.

moorey

call me Mia
I hear you and will be hitting my square pegs into round holes also in future.
Trying to get newer parts to work the the recycled stuff from the parts bin. Not wanting to go back to fully sik 1995 mode either.
I'm not even trying to do that! These are all new parts on a new bike. They just don't want to play together or make it easy to fit without mystery proprietary tools.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm not even trying to do that! These are all new parts on a new bike. They just don't want to play together or make it easy to fit without mystery proprietary tools.
Yes, old school is frequently meaning more like 2014+ these days.

Boostification seems to successfully shift all the moving parts in a drivetrain +/-3mm or +/-6mm which is just enough to do your head in and make you buy bits you already have but in the wrong non-boost flavour. The adding 32+ plus chainrings using non-boost cranksets on boost frames is another YMMV fuzzy one.

When it all pops out of the sausage machine at the end then you essentially still have what you had before you started messing around with it all these fiddly changes.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yes, old school is frequently meaning more like 2014+ these days.

Boostification seems to successfully shift all the moving parts in a drivetrain +/-3mm or +/-6mm which is just enough to do your head in and make you buy bits you already have but in the wrong non-boost flavour. The adding 32+ plus chainrings using non-boost cranksets on boost frames is another YMMV fuzzy one.

When it all pops out of the sausage machine at the end then you essentially still have what you had before you started messing around with it all these fiddly changes.
But it's 0.000012247896573254786452504572309867% stiffer!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
But it's 0.000012247896573254786452504572309867% stiffer!
That will get you to the podium and impress those folks in the carpark.
Don't mention the supension movement monkey motion complicating that percentage either.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That will get you to the podium and impress those folks in the carpark.
Don't mention the supension movement monkey motion complicating that percentage either.
Well impressing in the carpark is the only chance I've got! Otherwise it's all "Did you see that guy that looked like he was having a heart attack on the climb back there?"

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Once summitfever tackles this problem, I look forward to reading his guide on Faqload.com

Extra level of complication, mix sram in too.

Maybe an interactive google sheet?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Otherwise it's all "Did you see that guy that looked like he was having a heart attack on the climb back there?"
Hey, that sounds like me. Seeing me at the top of climb is a place where I look about two steps away from kicking the bucket.