12sp XT or XTR hubs

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Did you set the b-gap correctly using the mark on the back of the derailleur?
I think so. Shifts clean? Just heavy on upshifting.
The only thing I wonder is that it's a long cage SLX and I'm running a 10-45 cassette. Would that change anything?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I think so. Shifts clean? Just heavy on upshifting.
The only thing I wonder is that it's a long cage SLX and I'm running a 10-45 cassette. Would that change anything?
Was my next question... they are not designed to work together, but can.
You can run a medium cage derailleur with the 51t cassette but not the long cage derailleur with a 45t cassette.
I tried as there was no clear answer online, but the shifting is nowhere near as good (changed back yesterday and the shifting is much improved)
Should be worth noting, I searched and no one has stock of medium cage at any level ATM.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Cable friction.

Lube the daylights out of it and if not already, use a Teflon-coated inner cable. If it's full-length outer you'll never get a super light shift feel, but a lot of lube will help.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You can run a medium cage derailleur with the 51t cassette but not the long cage derailleur with a 45t cassette.
Not so. The long is designed to cover the extra range of 2x up front (yes Shimano still have the good sense to offer multi-ring cranks), with the 45T cassette. Ditching a front ring won't affect rear compatibility.

DMan

I tried as there was no clear answer online, but the shifting is nowhere near as good (changed back yesterday and the shifting is much improved)
Should be worth noting, I searched and no one has stock of medium cage at any level ATM.
I did wonder. I'll go on the waiting list at Pushys then. I can always keep the long as a spare if the med is better

Cable friction.

Lube the daylights out of it and if not already, use a Teflon-coated inner cable. If it's full-length outer you'll never get a super light shift feel, but a lot of lube will help.
It is a full length outer so I'll pull the cable snd lube the outer then

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Not so. The long is designed to cover the extra range of 2x up front (yes Shimano still have the good sense to offer multi-ring cranks), with the 45T cassette. Ditching a front ring won't affect rear compatibility.
I disagree, for 2x the medium cage is used not long cage derailleur.
Screenshot of the SI-tech doc below

DMan

Pretty sharp kink in that chain stay...
Get off the drugs! Opps sorry, I mean I've tried having less bend and it just sticks out ready to be snagged. Didn't change shifting though

moorey

call me Mia
Get off the drugs! Opps sorry, I mean I've tried having less bend and it just sticks out ready to be snagged. Didn't change shifting though
I meant internally.

it’s probably not it. Routing looks pretty direct. I just notice how beautiful my bikes with short, direct routing shift compared to other bikes with longer cables and more turns. Undoubtedly, the Tranny is worse of mine, running under the BB and needing a bit of loop to allow for growth under suspension.
I changed Felix’s routing on the process. Even with new inner and outer, it was thumb breaking.

DMan

I meant internally.

it’s probably not it. Routing looks pretty direct. I just notice how beautiful my bikes with short, direct routing shift compared to other bikes with longer cables and more turns. Undoubtedly, the Tranny is worse of mine, running under the BB and needing a bit of loop to allow for growth under suspension.
I changed Felix’s routing on the process. Even with new inner and outer, it was thumb breaking.
I'll just end up with one massively overdeveloped thumb now...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Ooh, hang on, you're talking heavy release shift? Shimano 11- & 12-sp. shifters have a much firmer release action than older models, even unloaded. Most people use their index finger for the release shift, saving the thumb for downshifting.... o_O

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd try pulling the inner from the shifter, and putting it back through the outer to have a feel of the drag. The cable rooting might be OK but the outer may have been squashed or kinked at an entry or exit point from the frame.