1x10 without a chainguide

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with there type 2 rear derailleur getting stuck and losing chain tension at all. If I am in the biggest or second biggest gear and the rear suspension compresses the derailer mores forward and gets stuck this leads to dropping the chain. Im thinking it must be some kind of clutch issue. The derailleur is quite new and this was not the case when first installed.
I added a couple of photos for reference
Any help would be great

if done that with an x7 as they got some plastic on the back that can tear if you get a stick in it pulling the mech all the way forward. have a really close look and see if one of the stopper bolts has pulled through some of the plastic at the back of the mech. im not saying this is the case but my dads mech looked exactly like that and I couldnt work out why until i looked really close.

if this is the case use a bit of english and pull the cage back through the plastic and it will continue working fine but obviously whenever the cage get pulled all the way forward again it may pull back through the plastic since a channel will now have been carved out. if this happens just fix it again. if it happens all the time and frustrates you buy a x9 mech as its strooooonger!

hope this helps!

Last edited:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you sure it's not getting over rotated on full compression? Most springs don't like being forced past their max point of elasticity.

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
Are you sure it's not getting over rotated on full compression? Most springs don't like being forced past their max point of elasticity.
Thats what I thougt too but it is locking up before it is even in the position to use the lock out button
Gave it a spray appears to be better but I can feel some grinding so might need some more work

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Same reason they wouldn't do 11-36 in nine speed I reckon. Too much gap in the ratios.
Not really. You could have:

11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34-38

And

11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40

No big jumps in any and fairly consistent changes. I think the point about proprietary bits and pieces like shifters is more like it. They would prefer a whole new system with nothing backward compatible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Well, there is this, available now
CS-HG400 CASSETTE 12-36 ALIVIO 9-SPEED retail about $40
which you could easily put an 11T on instead of 12 if you wanted.

And for super gumby goodness, don't forget the MEGA-RANGE
MF-TZ31 MULTI FREEWHEEL 7-SPEED 14-34 MEGA-RANGE retail about $18

But the main reason is that they don't develop new products for older generations because they are too busy engineering the current/next generation of products. It takes a lot of work to make up the tooling and production processes to make something as simple as a cassette, so they just develop it once and move on.

moorey

call me Mia
Well, there is this, available now
CS-HG400 CASSETTE 12-36 ALIVIO 9-SPEED retail about $40
which you could easily put an 11T on instead of 12
been there, done it, bought the tshirt. But use a hg61 deore instead. :thumb:
My point wasn't about making new stuff for older technology, but about making it available at the time.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
SRAM Spider Bolt Torque

Hi All,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of the torque spec for the three bolts that mount the removable spider to SRAM arms ? I've found a couple of old conflicting Truvativ instruction sets but nothing relevant to the current carbon arms.

Thanks

PS. Not keen on the 'half a turn less than when the bolt snaps' technique

mitchy_

Llama calmer
a dob of loctite and a T25 screwdriver tightened up until it was tight never failed me...
the mounting face is going to stop any movement, the bolts are just keeping it from disengaging the teeth.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, first several rides with RaceFace NW 32 were great but last ride out while pedaling standing over quite a rough section I dropped the chain. Not a big deal, if I was only going to trailride I wouldn't care but I've caved in and ordered a chainguide.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a review for the One-up RAD cage: I really like it. I have been running 1x10 with an XTR M985 for two years and went through:

11-36 XT Cassette, shifts as designed
11-42 (General Lee 29-42 extender), shifted poorly onto and off the 29T, lasted 1000km before the 29T started skipping underload.
11-42 (Wolf Tooth 42T), shifted better, but the 15-19 gap was too big, 15->19 shift was rubbish too
11-42 (WT 42T, 16T One-up), shifted better again, but the 16T would skip under load, with a brand new chain?!
11-42 (WT 42T, 16T from Shimano road cassette), rubbish shifting onto the 16T from the 13T since the ramps aren’t designed for more than a 1 tooth gap

Finally:
11-42 (WT 42T, 16T One-up, RAD Cage). Shifting 95% as good as the 11-36 original setup. 16T not skipping anymore due to the increased angle of wrap. The rad cage was easy to install as per the video, but a bit fiddly to set-up of the bike, chain length had to be spot on as well as the lower RD limit as high as possible otherwise the upper bend pulley would foul on the derailleur swing arm.

I guess SRAM doesn’t have this problem since their upper pulleys are already offset?

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
My cage and 16T from OneUp should be with me in the next few days so I'll pop up a review as well.

I wasn't happy with the shifting performance when using the 42T WolfTooth cog (XT Shadow+ with Xt Cassette) so I replaced it with the 40T Hope. Much better. Still not perfect but works really well. I really notice the big gap between the 15 and 19T so the 16T should be perfect to help alleviate it.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Had my first ride on my oneup 42t/16t combo today on my '11 stumpjumper Fsr , what an incredible setup. Running it on a sram pg1070 11-36 through an x9 type 2 with x0 shifter and shifting was smooth as. Front ring is an xx1 32t and I know for sure I'll be changing this to a Wolftooth 34t direct mount I got off another member here.

I did have a little bit of a niggle about half way through when Shifting from the 13t to the 16t started to lag just a little. Could have been that it was also a new cable so maybe pulled a little bit of slack? It went away though after giving the cable housing a bit of a pull. for the rest of the time it shifted up and down through the 16 with no hesitation.

I found the 16/32 to actually roll really well together on the trail I was on. Once I move to the 34 I think I'll be spending a bit of time working between the 13 and 16 so I'll see how shifting goes over time. All in all very pleased.
How good is spinning up firetrails or steeps in the 42!!! Well I suppose like having a granny but without the hassle ;)

Big thanks also to Adrian at Belrose Bicycles. I had snapped the shifter cable again, got it replaced and he tuned the rear shifting to perfection with the 11-42 rolling super smooth up and down!

Last edited:

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
Running 1x10 on my norco sight 7.2, xt clutch long cage rd, race face nw 32ring and a biocon chain guide (came on the bike, less chain slap). Was working well been on there 3months or so, did the shuttle day at YY yesterday 3 dropped chains in about 12 runs!!!!! So I know this is a "without" chain guide thread but 3 from 12 is crap so back to a chain guide for me I think?? Any suggestions on what to try ????

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running 1x10 on my norco sight 7.2, xt clutch long cage rd, race face nw 32ring and a biocon chain guide (came on the bike, less chain slap). Was working well been on there 3months or so, did the shuttle day at YY yesterday 3 dropped chains in about 12 runs!!!!! So I know this is a "without" chain guide thread but 3 from 12 is crap so back to a chain guide for me I think?? Any suggestions on what to try ????
I've got one of these (DMR Viral) from Pushys on the way as I've had a couple of drops now, been fine for trailriding but fast rough decents the guideless just isn't reliable enough for me.