2007 Australian Worlds Team

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Junior
Downhill
Joel Bain (Mt Nasuru, WA 24.09.1989)
Caroline Buchanan (Kambah, ACT 24.10.1990)
Joshua Button (Boambee, NSW 25.11.1989)
Mitchell Delfs (Gracetown, WA 25.07.1989)
David Hetherington (Delacombe, VIC 16.07.1989)
James Maltman (Stretton, QLD 02.03.1989)
Tom Patton (Belrose, NSW 14.11.1990)
William Rischbieth (Aldgate, SA 03.12.1989)

Cross Country
Peter Braunsteins (Kew, VIC 24.02.1990)
Nathan Haas (Deakin, ACT 12.03.1989)
Paul Van Der Ploeg (Tawonga South, VIC 09.11.1989)

Elite
Downhill - Elite Men
Sam Hill (QLD 21/07/85)
Nathan Rennie (QLD 31/05/81)
Michael Hannah (QLD 21/11/83)
Chris Kovarik (QLD 01/03/78)
Bryn Atkinson (NSW 09/12/82)
Jared Graves (QLD 16/12/82)
Amiel Cavalier (NSW 24/03/87)
Jared Rando (ACT 22/06/81)

Downhill - Elite Women
Tracey Hannah (QLD 13/06/88)

4X – Men
Jared Graves (QLD 16/12/82)
Amiel Cavalier (NSW 24/03/87)
Jared Rando (ACT 22/06/81)
Bryn Atkinson (NSW 09/12/82)
Michael Hannah (QLD 21/11/83)
Luke Madill (NSW 28/05/80)

4X – Women
Caroline Buchanan (ACT 24/10/90)

Cross Country - Elite Men
Chris Jongewaard (SA 18/07/79)2007
Sid Taberlay (TAS 22/01/80)
Dylan Cooper (ACT 30/06/79)

Cross Country - Elite Women
Tory Thomas (VIC 02/09/78)
Dellys Starr (VIC 02/10/76)

Cross Country – U23 Men
Shaun Lewis (SA 14/08/86)
Daniel McConnell (VIC 09/08/85)
Lachlan Norris (VIC 21/01/82)

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Umm, when will the junior teams be released? :confused:

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I know you have better contacts and more insider info than that..........:p
Cheers bud.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Umm, well will the junior teams be released? :confused:
Are you talking about this Junior Worlds Team that was announced here?

I do have a question though... Is there a reason why our womens National Champion isn't on the team? Not taking anything away from Tracey as she's an absolute pinner, but are we only limited to one female representative, or is there more politics behind this?

casey79

Likes Dirt
Are you talking about this Junior Worlds Team that was announced here?

QUOTE]

Beat me by minutes.

Im sure it says somewhere on the CA site that being nat champ does not garantee you a place. You also have to prove your worth on the world stage. Nothing against Foxy (she is a champ in the local scene and one of the only girls pinning it at all the local races) but she did come second at the champs. But got it cause the chick who one was not Australian.
Yes traveling OS need a lot of $$$$$ without a sponsor, but plenty of the guys bite the bullet buy a ticket to the states and race the NORBAS. The current head coach (Sharpels) for one way back in the day did it.
It does suck for Foxy though. Just my two cents dont flame me pylet boys and girls.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I do have a question though... Is there a reason why our womens National Champion isn't on the team? Not taking anything away from Tracey as she's an absolute pinner, but are we only limited to one female representative, or is there more politics behind this?
Did she meet the selection criteria?

Cycling Australia said:
10. SELECTION CRITERIA – ELITE WOMEN DOWNHILL
10.1 All Elite Women DH athletes wishing to gain selection to the National MTB team for the 2007 MTB World Championships must demonstrate their ability to compete at the elite international level by attending a minimum of two (2) UCI major races (World Cup, Maxxis Cup, NORBA, French Cup, Swiss Cup, Sea Otter) in the 2007 season prior to 9 July;
‘OR
Have their competition schedule for the period 1 May until the 2007 MTB World Championships approved by the National Coach.
10.2 Attendance at the 2007 Australian Mountain Bike Championships will be a selection prerequisite for all elite women DH athletes in accord with Section A, Clause 4.3.

10.3. The National MTB Selection Committee will determine Elite Female DH athlete selections based on the following criteria:
10.3.1. Performance benchmarks will be used as indicators of potential international competitiveness and therefore grounds for selection.​

10.3.2. Performance benchmarks for Elite Women DH athletes will include International podium (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) results. Performances from previous seasons and in particular previous MTB World Championships may also be considered.​

10.3.3. For the Elite Women DH athletes, a performance benchmark of 130% of the Elite Woman’s winning time from approved events, may be used.​

10.3.4. The 2007 Elite Women’s National Champions will be given priority for selection to the National MTB Team.​

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Im sure it says somewhere on the CA site that being nat champ does not garantee you a place. You also have to prove your worth on the world stage. Nothing against Foxy (she is a champ in the local scene and one of the only girls pinning it at all the local races) but she did come second at the champs. But got it cause the chick who one was not Australian.
Yes traveling OS need a lot of $$$$$ without a sponsor, but plenty of the guys bite the bullet buy a ticket to the states and race the NORBAS. The current head coach (Sharpels) for one way back in the day did it.
It does suck for Foxy though. Just my two cents dont flame me pylet boys and girls.
All valid points, but I'm still confused at why the decision is how it is. Foxy was prepared to cough up the coin to fund her own way to Fort Bill. Which brings me to this bit again...
Not taking anything away from Tracey as she's an absolute pinner, but are we only limited to one female representative, or is there more politics behind this?
Considering the last Champs in Rotorua had 3 girls (Claire, Emma, and Sarah) representing the senior category, I can't see why we only have 1 this year? As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), but neither of these 3 race the Norba Circuit?

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Not flaming

Not flaming you but , But ...

Why contest the national scene at all if it isn't going to get you
anywhere - hell we may as well write Australia Off as far as MTB goes and
just sent her o/s next year to contest there norba series - i dont think so,
she is Super proud to be an Aussie so will race here in Aus not because she wants a free ride but because she loves it and the scene needs women riders
here - not o/s all year round ..

And on the racing o/s note to show your stuff - how did Emma make it to NZ over Foxy last WC in NZ not hitting one round b-4 it all season - again dosent make sence - maby it's a Foxy thing :( ..

If you know her she is one tuff girl so she'll bounce back no worries but what
it all comes down to is --- Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gee - what does this do for the sport in AUSTRALIA = Nada ..

For instance ::
Howmany more people picked up rugby when we got the WC how many
people started to watch and play soccer when we got into the WC ..

How many more girs would get into the scene seeing Foxy rippin it up
and she is still real you can actualy ride with her on any given weekend ..

I guess cycling is different ..

End rant ...

Peace love and Kisses folks thanks for the support for Foxy - two years
running now and two years dreams shattered ..

casey79

Likes Dirt
Gman didnt know that you and foxy where going to shell out the coin to get over. In that case the reasons not being selected must be pretty thin.

7 girls could have been selected this season. Sure 3 girls where selected last year cause the race was in NZ.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
The first person I looked for on the list was Foxy, she has trained super hard over the last 18 months to get where she is now skill and fitness wise and Im incredibly disapointed and angry she's not on the list.

Is it possible to hear from someone in mtba as to why she wasn't picked? I for one would love to hear their reasonings.

BOBCATZZ

Banned
What happend to to Alex LLoyd last years highest ranked aussie at the 4x and probably the only one with enough UCI pionts to make it .
Im sorry but to me it seems unless you are now travelling the tour there is no spot for you .And stupid me thought we were trying to encourage and nurture our talented youth oh well i suppose if your already got the big sponsers and on the big teamsit doesnt matter.
MY TWO CENTS

Ryan

Radministrator
I'd say Lloyd is in the same boat as Foxy, has the national results but hasn't raced internationally over the last season so hasn't considered by the powers that be.

Last edited: