2007 Giant Reign 1

stickso

Likes Dirt
Justin, how did the Reign go up hills around the Dam? Get much bobbing when you were seated?

I've been lurking on here for a couple of weeks after recently discovering MTB and I'm trying to suss out what bike I want when I get a "real" one. I've been doing the Dam for the last few weeks on my hardtail so I'm interested in how the Reign was.

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
its not too bad its mostly the geometery which is more of an issue with climbing as you really have to put urself up front to avoid the front tipping up as its an all mountain geometery bike.

Its fine though for going up hill as long as u r dedicated.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet pick up of a bike mate, 'specially at that price! I love the fact that it's lighter than my Haro hardtail :p yet so much more capable!

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its not too bad its mostly the geometery which is more of an issue with climbing as you really have to put urself up front to avoid the front tipping up as its an all mountain geometery bike.

Its fine though for going up hill as long as u r dedicated.
Huh?? mine climbs the steep hills at manly dam fine without having to put too much weight onthe front, and I'm running a shorter stem. In fact it climbs better than my old GT avalanche hardtail did. The maestro suspension is awesome for keeping traction up hill as well

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It'll make it up the climbs easy in granny chainring up front, low speed, bum on seat action.

The very first climb I did on it was not a long distance climb but one of those short/steep/burst inclines (what do you call them?!) the front wheel came up off the ground a couple of times, putting it down made the rear tyre slip (this was at Loftus) but I was probably ready to hop out of the seat and pump it, which I realised pretty soon was not the way to climb on this bike.

Personally I love the feeling of climbing out of seat on a hardtail for that extra power and speed, especially for short/steep/semi technical sections, can't really do that in the Reign.

Ultimately it really is apples to oranges when you compare the Reign to say a Scott Scale hardtail, but in the end of the day, which would I rather have out there with me? The Reign for sure.

On another note: Cable rub is severe on this thing. Paint has been scratched up pretty badly from just 2 rides on a few places. It explains why the bike comes with a clear sticker set I suppose.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that. I've been eyeing off a Trance X1 but the Reign is starting to look a bit better for an all rounder.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a little update to say that I might as well close this thread. Re-visited Loftus again last week and the Reign's just so great as it is. I don't think it needs any modofications at all. I'm glad I bought it, it's awesome in all conditions.

Here's a couple of pics.

Surprised to see this considering how friendly everyone you bump into is.

The little train that goes past is so cute lol.

Little bunny.

Love the little single track, shame it's so short.

My mate Jing also bought a Reign (Reign 0) and this was his first time out on it, you can see the front wheel lifting in this shot. It's what happens on the Reign on a climb if you ride it like your fave hardtail, but you get used to how you should climb on it pretty quickly.

Maybe shin pads next?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn

My mate Jing also bought a Reign (Reign 0) and this was his first time out on it, you can see the front wheel lifting in this shot. It's what happens on the Reign on a climb if you ride it like your fave hardtail, but you get used to how you should climb on it pretty quickly.
Mate, sounds like you're enjoying the Reign heaps! I own a 2008 Reign 1 and what you said about the front wheel lifting when climbing is true. The front end is ridiculously light and you really have to crouch over the front while sitting down to keep it all on the ground. But the light front end also helps with clearing obstacles on the way up, lift the front over, and the rear just keeps tracking.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Mate, sounds like you're enjoying the Reign heaps! I own a 2008 Reign 1 and what you said about the front wheel lifting when climbing is true. The front end is ridiculously light and you really have to crouch over the front while sitting down to keep it all on the ground. But the light front end also helps with clearing obstacles on the way up, lift the front over, and the rear just keeps tracking.
Unfortunately this is common on long travel bikes. It's very hard to keep the body weight over the front when it is naturally high. You can try hard- but then you loose traction at the back.

Forks such as U-turn revelations help- as you can dial them down to 100mm for long climbs.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other night I managed to get the Reign up some steps by Maroubra Beach, stopped smacking the pedals into the steps after a few goes and got the hang of it, wouldn't even try it on my single speed. Jing was on the single speed so I got to play with both bikes in the same environment, all in all the Reign's just a lot more fun to play with, always egging you on to do something silly. I live on a very slight hill (wouldn't even really call it a hill), but even so the single speed kills the Reign up my street, that's for sure (hey we knew that already right? But actually comparing the 2 bikes on the spot was a good thing). Just to give the Reign a pat on the back I thought I'd give it some attention today.

Removed the ugly plastic protector thingy. I always remove these and haven't had a problem with the chain ever getting caught back there (touch wood).

Couldn't help myself. De-stickered everything including the Fox forks (it's strange having stickers of your surname on your bike!) both front fork and rear shock. Also replaced the OEM DT Swiss skewers with some Sette skewers I had lying around which are a bit lighter. I reckon it looks strange now without the stickers, oh well (lol).

Last edited:

Pitto

Likes Dirt
i put a TALAS 36's on mine and dropping it down to 100mm is great for climbing.

they take a little to tune in, i am still trying to work mine out after 3 years of riding :rolleyes:

:)

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Looks great justin,love the giants,love the de-sticker,have you already got the upgraditis bug happening? Myself at 42,the bug has bit and bitten hard,just throw money at the bike without a care in the world!:)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Looks great justin,love the giants,love the de-sticker,have you already got the upgraditis bug happening? Myself at 42,the bug has bit and bitten hard,just throw money at the bike without a care in the world!:)
Great to hear but I shudder at your superannuation...and your mortgage. :D

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks the goods mate how much did that set you back
I got it for an absolute steal at $1800 from Cranks on a runout sale. I knew I was lucky about the price then but handing over $1800 for a bicycle was killing me at the time, but I really realise how lucky I am now.

LOL I'm so happy to hear that. Well, the modifying bug really hit hard on the single speed I built up (check my sig.) but the Reign has been more about getting the riding bug. I push myself harder every time I go out there on it, it's a beast of a bike, confidence inspiring. I love it. I AM tempted though for sure to get the weight down some. Every time I take it out I realise it could do with some extra things, after yesterday's ride through the Dam (see pics below) I realised that it needed:

A) Raise up front bar - I had set the front bar on the lowest position (via stem spacers) for "looks" but realised I felt a little stretched out yesterday. It's back in the middle now (via stem spacers).

B) I had to pull over and adjust seat height a lot. In the lowest position it's great for the downhill and more technical parts but it hurt my knees for the more general XC stuff, especially climbs which you have to do seated on the Reign, no power at all with the seat down. Why don't they just design a seatpost with a simple line marking on it so getting your seat straight isn't a hassle? I know I've paid out those remote control seat height adjustment gizmos before but for a trail like the Dam I can see how it would definitely be worth while.

Yummy rocky sections. At the very bottom of this pic you see the little drop, then there's another techy little bit to negotiate. Last time we went around the right hand side, like a lot of people (see the tracks there). I wanted to go off the drop this time so I was assessing it here, then I just went back and did it (the Reign made it so easy). It's little things like this that make you feel good all day and night. :)

Reign just rolls over this stuff.

I used to love DH as a kid and the DH section at the Dam just rocks my world. I took it a lot faster this time pedalling most of the way down but at the end of it I was so cocky that instead of taking the dry left I went through the mud. Of-course I fell over lol.

She'll buff right out!

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday I mucked around with the set-up some more. I felt stretched out a little on Sunday so I've made some adjustments. I realised the low riser bar was mounted pointing forward quite a bit. This made the bar about 40mm further away from me to the front and about 30mm higher too. I've now adjusted it back towards me some more, re-adjusted the brakes/shifter and everything feels a little better but I'll have to test it out on a trail soon to be sure. I've also noticed the stem's got a pretty big angle on it, and I'm tempted to try a shorter stem with less rise.

With adjusted cockpit, you can see the difference between this picture and the one in a couple of posts above.

I also just whacked on some gear I had lying around from my single speed build. Namely some red KCNC ring bolts and alloy water bottle bolts. All lighter and as strong as the stock items, so no harm done.

I also had a KCNC jockey wheel (only one though lol) from the single speed's tensioner which I am no longer using so on it goes.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Yesterday I mucked around with the set-up some more. I felt stretched out a little on Sunday so I've made some adjustments. I realised the low riser bar was mounted pointing forward quite a bit. This made the bar about 40mm further away from me to the front and about 30mm higher too. I've now adjusted it back towards me some more, re-adjusted the brakes/shifter and everything feels a little better but I'll have to test it out on a trail soon to be sure. I've also noticed the stem's got a pretty big angle on it, and I'm tempted to try a shorter stem with less rise.

With adjusted cockpit, you can see the difference between this picture and the one in a couple of posts above.

I also just whacked on some gear I had lying around from my single speed build. Namely some red KCNC ring bolts and alloy water bottle bolts. All lighter and as strong as the stock items, so no harm done.

I also had a KCNC jockey wheel (only one though lol) from the single speed's tensioner which I am no longer using so on it goes.
oooooh the modding has started- red "bits" is always the first step to "upgradeitis":D

One thing to think of though JF is the tyres- maybe something a little more "aggressive" is in order? Larsons are OK- but not teh best on loose over hardpack. I highly recommend a Specialized Eskar up front at least.... fantastic tyres.

Last edited: