XC 4 rounds and Championship
4X 4 rounds and Championship
Each region to hold a round
Possible regions
DH Southern Thredbo, Canberra, SCUM
DH Sydney WSMTB, Lithgow, Wollongong
DH Central Hunter, Ourimbah
DH Northern Nundle, Coff Harbour, Kempsey

XC Southern, Thredbo, Canberra, Ulladulla, Scum?
XC Tablelands, Wollongong, Southern Tablelands, Central Tablelands
XC Central Ourimbah, Hunter
XC Sydney, WSMTB, SORC, Manly
XC Northern Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Kempsey?

4X Southern, Thredbo, Canberra
4X Tablelands, Central Tablelands?
4X Sydney, WSMTB
4X Central, Hunter Central Coast?
4X Northern Armidale

Last edited:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
wsmtbdhvp said:
Suggestions?
DH 4 rounds and Championship
Possible regions
DH Northern Nundle, Coff Harbour, Kempsey
#1 Southern - Canberra. Already at Thredbo National round & Interschools
#2 Sydney - Wollongong. Already at Lithgow National round
#3 Central - Meh! Both venues rock. One has an awesome track, the other has excellent organisation and prizes
#4 Northern - Nundle. Racing hasn't been there in years, and it's a wicked track
Championships - Coffs Harbour. What a track! What an atmosphere! Raining or sunshine, this was the sickest venue I've been too.

That's my thoughts anyway :)

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
DH 1-4:

Southern: Canberra. We already have nationals (and interschools) at thredbo, not to mention the lack of support that Thredbo state rounds get (in terms of marshalling and first aid). The South Coast would be interesting (where would the track be?) but it's hard to go past Canberra, especially once the its been setup for the Champs in January.
Sydney: Woolongong. Again, Lithgow has a national round, and it always gets used for State races- It's not a bad track (in fact, its my favourite) but it'd be nice to ride a "new" track.
Central: Hunter. Ourimbah is tired, and despite the awesome transport, organisation and prizes, the track is pretty old and its raced every year. The success and popularity of the Awaba rounds in 04 and 05 should be enough to warrant sropping Ourimbah, even if the shuttle turnaround is longer. Maybe a new track (a whole new one, not a rebuilt old one or a new line here and there) would make it a tougher choice, but even then it'd be good to change.
Northern: Nundle. Run it with an Armidale 4x round and it would make a great race weekend. The old track at Nundle was amazing (according to everyone who raced there).
Champs: Coffs. Coffs made the best state round so far and it would be a shame to see it go to waste.

MTNx is harder, obviously with less tracks to choose from.

Southern: Canberra. A Jacobs track would be awesome to race on, especially if its got some decent organisation and support.
Tablelands: Goulburn?. Close to both Sydney and Canberra (where the majority of guys are coming from) and the track is prett damn good too.
Sydney: Ebenezer. Purely on speculation here, but it would be hard to make it as bad as Homebush.
Northern:Armidale. Another Jacobs track that rarely gets used, plus if we're out racing at Nundle its not very far to hit up the Armidale 4x too. Obviously time would be an issue (a long weekend would help) but if we're up that way its a good opportunity to race that track.
Champs:Hunter/Black Hill. The best track in NSW at the moment.

Last edited:

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
wsmtbdhvp said:
Suggestions?
DH 4 rounds and Championship
XC 4 rounds and Championship
4X 4 rounds and Championship
Possible regions
DH Northern Nundle, Coffs Harbour, Kempsey

XC Southern, Thredbo, Canberra, Ulladulla, Scum?
XC Tablelands, Wollongong, Southern Tablelands, Central Tablelands
XC Sydney, WSMTB, SORC, Manly
XC Northern Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Kempsey?

4X Southern, Thredbo, Canberra
4X Tablelands, Central Tablelands?
4X Sydney, WSMTB
4X Central, Hunter Central Coast?
4X Northern Armidale
DH round-1 Canberra, because Thredbo has national round, interschools etc,etc. Scum site is a great track but crap for transport and not popular with the finish so far away from the main area.

DH round-2 Lithgow is my choice here, although it also has a national round, Wollongong dosen't have a DH track so is out. Unless wsmtbdhvp has something "up his sleeve" best they have is Pacific Park.
Pacific Park has good transport turn around and a great area down the bottom. How are things going with sorting the track? WSMTB haven't had a state race for a while because of lack of a decent venue so it would be good for them to have one in 2007.

DH round-3 Hunter of course, if they have their new track up and going.
Sorry Al and Wayno but Hunter tracks are better. Ourimbah is a good venue but there is something to say for being able to see the riders finish near the main area.

DH round-4 Nundle, never been there and don't know much about this site but everyone speaks highly of this venue and track.

DH Champs can/could go to any of the venues that missed out on a series round. should look seriously at which site will offer the best overall racing.

XC round-1 Ulladulla is SCUM is it not? In any case South Coast offers something/somewhere different for the riders and should be considered.

XC round-2 Southern Tablelands, this will most likely be the yet to be completed Wingello State Forest track. This venue may get a run as one of the 8 or 12 hour events next year.
Central Tablelands, fuck Flynny he gets heaps of races.
Wollongong, race at revised Appin track seemed to go off ok and WMBC put in a huge effort to stage their 2006 race. There is more work to do to further improve this track and WMBC would be keen to hold another race in 2007. (gotta add that I am a member of this club)

XC round-3 SORCC put in another huge effort to create a brand new track for 2006. Everyone I spoke to that rode this track really liked it, only comment was that it is quite a short lap. SORCC are looking at increase the lap distance for next year. WSMTB, no state series round this year so could be first choice for 2007.

XC round-4 Port Macquarie were up for a round in 2006. Bit of a stuff up with the proposed dates for series round clashed with their existing calendar so they opted out for this year. I personally spoke with club pres afterwards and offered 2007 series race. Port Maquarrie will be keen to stage a race in 2007.
Need to sort dates out with them early as they are a very active club from what I have heard.

XC champs - same as for the DH, any of the venues that didn't get a series round.

4X - who cares !!!

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
The new HMBA venue is getting closer. Same length track, 5-10 minute shuttle.

Will definitely be ready for next season for DH and hopefully the XC circuit will be sorted to be hosted from the same venue and starting area.

My Call for the races,

DH
Canberra
Wollongong/Lithgow either would be fine
Hunter
Nundle
Coffs
Don't really care which takes the champs.

XC
HMBA are definietly throwing our hands up for that again, any reason we aren't included in the possibilities?? Other than that, each of those regions is more than capable of throwing together a more than decent track.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Hunter for XC champs maybe???

Get in early Sammy.

Personaly feel that clubs which didn't get a run in 2006 should get first look at 2007 events, provided they have a suitable venue and have the ability and willing/helpful members in order to stage the race.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Squidly Didly said:
#1 Southern - Canberra. Already at Thredbo National round & Interschools
#2 Sydney - Wollongong. Already at Lithgow National round
#3 Central - Meh! Both venues rock. One has an awesome track, the other has excellent organisation and prizes
#4 Northern - Nundle. Racing hasn't been there in years, and it's a wicked track
Championships - Coffs Harbour. What a track! What an atmosphere! Raining or sunshine, this was the sickest venue I've been too.

That's my thoughts anyway :)
That is exactly what I would like to see as the calendar. Obviously I am a tad biased with the Coffs Harbour event but if the series made a stop at each of the events that Squid has listed, I reckon it would keep the numbers at the spot where you need them and it is a great chance for everyone in NSW to get to at least one event. I know that I would make a massive attempt to travel to each event listed here. I wouldn't go to Thredbo for a state round because it too far, a national event at Thredbo would be plenty.
With the northern round at Nundle and the State Champs at Coffs, we would get plenty of good support from our QLD friends which love travelling over the border to race a good event.
It makes sense to me to include the events that are:
1) A good track
2) A good town with plenty of places to stay and a place with a good atmosphere (example: a town with good night life).
3) A place that people want to travel to. You couldn't expect people to want to drive up to 8 hours to an event that doesn't have too much to offer.
There is plenty of good events on the calendar to make a series that will satisfy everyone. Canberra is a must, Wollongong is a great spot, Nundle would see heaps of new racer's and spectators, Ourimbah ...is Ourimbah, and Coffs Harbour has the overall appeal that would attract people to the event (by the way...there is some interesting things happening at Coffs as I speak :) ).
I reckon we're set for a nice year of racing by the way it sounds.

scblack

Leucocholic
Dozer may not like this thought, but I reckon Coffs would be better to have a State round, not the Championships. But it definitely deserves a round - no doubt.

It is a lot of travel to get up there for MOST people who ride DH (coming from Sydney/Hunter/Wollongong/Cangerra). I have no problem with costs - I am lucky to be able to afford whatever easily, but for me TIME is a very big issue, seeing as I have a baby girl at home. If I could not manage the time to get up there, I would be more amenable to missing a round than the Champs.

I'd be happy with, rounds in any order:
1. Nundle - new track for many people.
2. Sydney - Pacific Park can handle it.
3. Coffs.
4. Canberra.

Championships. Central - I'd have to go with Hunter here - Ourimbah track has been around a while now, raced several State & National rounds. Hunter is closest to the most people, I think that important for Champs.

Why are people bringing up Wollongong? There's no legally raceable track.:confused:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Incontinent said:
Central Tablelands, fuck Flynny he gets heaps of races.
True, I get heaps of races but not much fucking....
I was actually thinking it would be nice to have a break next year and take some time to ride and build more trails :D

While I think rider input is valuable I think NSWMTBA and the potential hosts need to be the ones working out when and where the series goes.

scblack

Leucocholic
thecat said:
While I think rider input is valuable I think NSWMTBA and the potential hosts need to be the ones working out when and where the series goes.
You guys who run the clubs have to be the main factor determining what happens and when because without you, NOTHING happens. Can't be argued.

But please do take rider input into account, as without rider satisfaction, numbers will fall.

Keep it up Flynny.:cool:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Fully agree SCBLACK, but it's pointless for the riders to all vote that Venue B should host the champs before it's determined whether Vanue B are able to.

If it turns out that Venue B can't it then looks like we were ignoring rider input and thus riders get peed off.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
thecat said:
Fully agree SCBLACK, but it's pointless for the riders to all vote that Venue B should host the champs before it's determined whether Vanue B are able to.

If it turns out that Venue B can't it then looks like we were ignoring rider input and thus riders get peed off.
That was exactly my point and reason for posting in the NSWMTB forum. We need to work out who wants to and can host an event before going too far down the line of chasing public opinion.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A little bit off topic here but I think it it okay to share my thoughts.
With the state series and champs all running inside NSW and ACT, I believe there should be a few things done by the governing body to have a bit more control over things.
For example, I'd like to see the same group of people helping out with rego etc at every event on the state calendar.
I think there should also be a constant timing company who travels to each event so people are used to when and how they can find results.
I'd also like to see the same trailers and (if it can be managed) the same vehicles towing the shuttle trailers at the event.
This would be a major plus in the favour of the organisers and the entrants because the organisers would have at least one or two things taken care of and the riders would know straight away what to expect from an event.
I think a governing body which controls these things would be a major plus for all involved. It would lessen the preparing and the unknown factors that organisers have to deal with. The less work the organisers have to do with some things means the more work they can do on preparing the other stuff that needs attention.
Imagine organising a race without having to worry about the above mentioned......:D

Balfa_Oli

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i want the races that Squidly said.
Coffs has to be the championships it's the maddest track sooo much fun.
Can't wait to go back there.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
DHDozer said:
A little bit off topic here but I think it it okay to share my thoughts.
With the state series and champs all running inside NSW and ACT, I believe there should be a few things done by the governing body to have a bit more control over things.

For example, I'd like to see the same group of people helping out with rego etc at every event on the state calendar.

This same group of people helping out at rego etc is basically the same group that helps out at every event.
THEY ARE CALLED HUMPHREYS AND GRUNDY.
I think that race organisers should get their shit together and give these people a break. You put your hand up for a race you are expected to run the whole of the event. If your club can't find sufficient members to staff an event you should not nominate. You (club) are expected to be able to handle every aspect of the event, "not just get the track ready". This is exactly the case at national level. If for some reason your club cannot muster enough members to help out at a race weekend then it is upon you to organise outside help. These people are often more than happy to help out but for fuck sake I'm sure that they would like to go to a race weekend and be able to see their boys ride for a change.

I think there should also be a constant timing company who travels to each event so people are used to when and how they can find results.

Timing.
Currently there are only two timing companies thet do the state races.
Castec and Two Wheel Promotions. 2WP are based in Queensland and obviously handy for the northen races. Castec are based in sydney and are used for all the southern races, (typically). We use both, I have worked with both crews and they similar in many ways. A condition of staging a state event is that there is proffessional timing at the race (DH). This mandate was implimented this year (2006) and by all accounts has been a vast improvment on past years.

I'd also like to see the same trailers and (if it can be managed) the same vehicles towing the shuttle trailers at the event.

For most of the events you will find that the same trailers are used.
ala, Western Sydney, Central Coast, Hunter, CORC. Not always towed by the same vehicles but more often than not by the local minibus mob.

This would be a major plus in the favour of the organisers and the entrants because the organisers would have at least one or two things taken care of and the riders would know straight away what to expect from an event.
I think a governing body which controls these things would be a major plus for all involved. It would lessen the preparing and the unknown factors that organisers have to deal with.

You should know or at least some idea of what you need to deal with.

The less work the organisers have to do with some things means the more work they can do on preparing the other stuff that needs attention.

Part of your nomination is making sure that you (your club) is able to meet all the requirements necessary to run the event. This includes rego, first aid, transport, food etc. Not just the track and the after party. Again if you are not prepared to, or, unable to fullfil all of these committments you should not nominate.

Imagine organising a race without having to worry about the above mentioned......:D
Imagine going to the local brothel, getting a full serrvice and not having to pay for it !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having said all this, your efforts for the Coffs Harbour race were appreciated, however you will not be considered for another state series race or champs unless you can impliment al these things within your own club. I suggest that you make the trip down to the champs at Ourimbah in a couple of months time. There you will see how it is done.
CCOMTB will be more than happy to show you all there is in staging a successful event.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Incontinent, not at any stage did I suggest that anything wasn't done properly. I have thanked Mr Grundy and Mr Humphries on numerous occassions for not only helping us out in Coffs but there input for MTB. The experience I learned when we / I staged the recent event was valueable, very much so. I now know what and how to do things right to the point where it will be satisfactory for all involved. My post was supposed to be a good thing, not something that was given a spray. I have been given heaps of feedback from people about the race we hosted. It was good, it was bad feedback but I took it all into consideration and my sole purpose of doing what I do is to make people smile.