2008 Year 12 thread

Matt H

Eats Squid
Just so you know where I stand by saying that, I'm in Year 10 doing Maths B, Maths C, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and (soon to be dropped) Legal, and (gonna miss it) P.E
Whoa, you do those subjects in year 10? Thats intense. Up here we only branch in year 11 :confused:

Economics
Accounting
English
Ancient History
Maths A
Biology

I'm going ok. Hoping for an OP in the single digits, but I'm really not too concerned.

It's great at the moment though, no assignments.

just exams and inclasses :rolleyes:

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I f*cking hate assignments.

People say, yeah but you've got so much time to do it and you can re check it and get it perfect and whatever, but I'd much rather learn the stuff, do the classwork, really understand the concepts/questions, maybe do 10 minutes of study and do the test.

Assignments just fuck with your time. And I suck at time management. Pretty much, completely the fault of farkin. :p

Yeah we choose 6 subjects of the 11/12 stuff (on top of English and Maths A or B) and do that for half a year, then mid-way drop 2 (of the chosen). That way we know what we're gonna be doing for half a year, and then complete it all, and only in special circumstances do you change your subjects after the start of 11, otherwise you can't have completed 4 semesters for tertiary education and what not.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Is applicable maths like, everyday uses/relevant to life for most people who don't do sciences/mathematics/enginering. etc... cause I know that <<< that type is Maths A in Queensland, in year 12 apparently Maths B is based mostly on calculus, Maths C is just completely unrelated stuff that takes a bit more outside-the-box-thinking.

Just so you know where I stand by saying that, I'm in Year 10 doing Maths B, Maths C, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and (soon to be dropped) Legal, and (gonna miss it) P.E
No, I'm quite sure it isn't, maybe related though. Applicable maths deals with Matrices, statistics (VERY in depth. Discrete does it too, but not as involved), and now back into logarithms. It is a big waste of time.

Calculus deals with complex conceptual maths. If you don't pick up a concept quickly, you're not gonna survive. Plenty of calculus (differentiation and integration. Of EVERYTHING. Logarithms and trigonometric functions included) and geometry and trigonometry (vectors and the like). Plenty of complex problem solving involving them too.

Applicable has to be followed in conjunction with calculus. Discrete also contains most of the material that applicable does, but misses out some more difficult elements.

And scaling last year was ridiculous. Many subjects were scaled down (That's the buzz anyway).

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm Ok. Does your system have an obvious difficulty ranking, the same way?

Because a lot of the things in Maths B for example seem to be in all 3 of your maths subjects, likewise with C, not sure about A, haven't done it but have seen the Year 11 test and it was piss-easy.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
NSW HSC

Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Business Studies
Modern History
History Extension
Mathematics

Lots of writing here. Calculated my UAI to be around 90 based on my half yearly report and the Bored of Studies SAM calculator.

McPete

Likes Dirt
Wow, this thread makes me feel old... I've been out of school for about 7 months, 5 months in the workforce... Best of luck to all of you folks!

avanti04

Likes Dirt
I'm in QLD doing:

Maths A
Accounting
Geography
Economics
Biology
English

I'm hoping for a OP under 15 and I'll be quite happy.

stpriderzac

Likes Dirt
I'm in NSW

subjects are:

-Standard English
-Mathematics
-Physics
-Modern History
-Design and Technology

I'd be stoked with a UAI of 80. Looking at an appreticeship as a diesel mechanic at the moment. Could change though.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Hmm Ok. Does your system have an obvious difficulty ranking, the same way?
Calculus = much more difficult than applicable, Geometry and Trigonometry in year 11 is a pre-requisite.

Applicable is much harder than discrete.

Discrete I'm not sure about, but I hear it is a fair bit harder than modelling with maths.

What is quite funny is that I'm sitting on an average 25% higher in calculus compared to applicable (partly study, partly because I can't stand matrices) and none of our class has failed a test (which hasn't happened for a while in a calculus class).

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am also sitting alot higher in calc with applic.

I was sitting just above 80% for calc as an actual average between EPW's and test, then I had an absolute shocker and dropped down just below 70% average, not too bad coming into mocks.

Also, I don't do stuff all stufy for applic, so I'm sitting on like 60%.

I definately find 3A3B challenging though. Being more a maths person, and where for lit you have the opportunity to prepare an essay, where we need to read, understand then repspond to a text on the spot.

Also, the Heart of Darkness is THE MOST BORING BOOK EVER WRITEN.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Calculus = much more difficult than applicable, Geometry and Trigonometry in year 11 is a pre-requisite.

Applicable is much harder than discrete.

Discrete I'm not sure about, but I hear it is a fair bit harder than modelling with maths.

What is quite funny is that I'm sitting on an average 25% higher in calculus compared to applicable (partly study, partly because I can't stand matrices) and none of our class has failed a test (which hasn't happened for a while in a calculus class).
Modeling with maths sounds like maths A, haha.
I don't like matrices either:(

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a english exam Monday, physics Thursday, applic Monday, chem Wednesday and calc on Thursday afternoon.

Really a fun 2 weeks!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
english is lame no matter what you do mike, i did the standard english and still hated it, even though i somehow got an a

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Subjects:

Economics
Legal studies
Accounting
Maths B
English
Geogrpahy

I think that's it

I really have no idea what anyone has been talking about in this thread with % and crap.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I have a english exam Monday, physics Thursday, applic Monday, chem Wednesday and calc on Thursday afternoon.

Really a fun 2 weeks!
I reckon. The only problem with Lit is the exams. We are expected to write around 1200 words for each essay (in an hour), and we are expected to write three in the exam. Concentrating gets really difficult.

Applicable is just luck for me. I'm basing my results on my other 4 subjects and most likely forgoing applicable in my final TER score. My marks are all over the place though. 100%, 53%, 67%. (did you get the ridiculously long EPW?)

I hope the exam for calculus isn't too hard (judging by last years, it's gonna be), but it has the potential to be a serious booster to the final TER score, especially if it is scaled up. I won't say how I'm doing in calculus, cause I'll sound like a self absorbed ass.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Yr 12 NSW HSC:
Standard english(dropped from advanced after yr 11)
Maths & Maths extension
Engineering Studies
Legal Studies
Physics
Chemistry(dropped after yr11)

Im hoping to get a UAI of around 80-85, so i can do electrical engineering at uni. Dont know which uni i will go to.

Im so over school. I just cant wait till its all over

nick

Likes Dirt
VCE:
English Language
Further Maths
History Revolutions (Russian and French)
Geography
PE
Business Management (did it last year but did shit it wont count seeing a trainieship i did will count as my 6th subject)

Im hoping to get an enter of around 85+ so i can study environments at melbourne.

And Luke, matt was actually right with saying the enter is a percentage. Its relative to where u are compared to the rest of the state. Its youre study scores which are scaled n all that then your aggregate study score is worked out as a percentage of where u are in relation to the other 40,000 kids. But its easier to just use this calculator to work out what study scores you need http://entercalc.us.to/ But just remember study scores are a bell shaped curve (ie 30 is the 50/50 mark and only 8%are above forty and 4% above 45 i think)

Last edited:

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
That calculator is mad as Jacko. You'll nail that 85 if you keep up with the massive PE scores.

I was thinking about going to warnambool Deakin if I don't get into Monash for engineering. Is it any good there Matt? It's sooo fucking far to go for an open day.