2010/2011 vic state cross country series

adaib

Likes Dirt
It says on mtbv that the sereis is now sponsored by goldcross. True? Also, any more progress with the host of round 2?

serowe

Likes Dirt
It says on mtbv that the sereis is now sponsored by goldcross. True? Also, any more progress with the host of round 2?
It says that on the privately-run MTB Vic site for the Enduro Series - but that was news to a number of people yesterday - seems if anyone has made this 'deal' they haven't told or consulted with running the events.

adaib

Likes Dirt
So round two is looming!! YAY, its been a long wait. but that's ok.

Round two is at Officer according to the VSS website/mtbv.
I've never ridden that properly. one time i rode over from dallas brookes to have a look, but it was really over grown and crappy. i assumes thats just because no one had been using it recently? Whats the race course going to be like? i understand that with is close location to Dallas brooks, it might be like those trails.
Anyone know anymore details?

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It says that on the privately-run MTB Vic site for the Enduro Series - but that was news to a number of people yesterday - seems if anyone has made this 'deal' they haven't told or consulted with running the events.
They sponsored the Enduro Series I believe, and quiet possibly the State Series also.

Step forward in saving a doomed series!

serowe

Likes Dirt
They sponsored the Enduro Series I believe, and quiet possibly the State Series also.

Step forward in saving a doomed series!
Actual;ly my badly worded comment was about the Enduro Series! At Bright the organisers claimed they knew nothing about the supposed 'sponsorship'.

As for a doomed series - what makes you say that (or is that a personal issue??)

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steven - The sponsorship wasn't finalised before Bright. It was a late decision to sponsor the series, and the first round the sponsorship was effective was at Bendigo - Where everybody knew :)

Its just personal. he hates riding in the cold and cleaning mud off his bike
Actually, It's not personal at all. My comments about the doomed series relates to the funding and how the events are run. It all comes from the volley's countless unpaid hours, the events are usually run at a loss, and the prizes... well, not really existant.

At least with a big mainstream company behind the series, the events will be advertised at the 13 Victorian Stores (once the promo material is finalised), the prize money can be much larger & much more appealing to riders.

Now I'm not saying I'm only in it because of the prizes, I'm actually sorting out some fitness issues + having some fun enjoying the other disciplines of riding, but racing for a big check as apposed to a pair of grips is much more appealing!

serowe

Likes Dirt
Steven - The sponsorship wasn't finalised before Bright. It was a late decision to sponsor the series, and the first round the sponsorship was effective was at Bendigo - Where everybody knew :)
But was certainly being advertised as such before Bright!

serowe

Likes Dirt
At least with a big mainstream company behind the series, the events will be advertised at the 13 Victorian Stores (once the promo material is finalised), the prize money can be much larger & much more appealing to riders.
Except it now puts some of the local sponsors noses' out of joint because of this. Many of the VES rounds are (were??) sponsored by local bike stores and causes a major conflict for them so the clubs themselves are in a position whereby they may very well lose more than they will gain.

krusty66

Likes Dirt
Goldcross has naming rights for the series and the individual races are sponsored by local shops. Goldcross also supports by providing neutral mechanical support to the racers at the events.

Most of the series races are regional so I cant see how this can effect the local shops when all Goldcross stores are Melbourne based.

I see that anything that can help the sport grow bigger is a win win situation.

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Its hard enough for smaller regional stores to survive as it is without someone like Goldcross having a presence at a race in there local area. If you think that people from these areas don't go to the city for bigger purchases your dreaming.

That aside you cant stop someone like GC from being sponsors but local shops and local sponsors need to be made aware of this. If sponsorship had already being agreed on then Goldcross should have no presence at that round.

johndh

Likes Dirt
It is my belief that the prize money (especially in the Enduro series) is really only appealing to a minority of the riders, the Elite sponsored riders, reality is that most of the riders who line up for the events are weekend warriors who would rather get product and a medal, or some recognition for competing eg giveaways than $$.
At the Bendigo 6hr we had 75 (including 3hr cat) of 300 total riders obtain a podium place and gaveaway as much product as we could get, from sponsors.
For $50 entry you can't expect much more.
I believe they are participation events encouraging a wide range of riders.
Each event also contributes to the series prize pool, that is where thebigger "$" are.

$$$$$$$

I must be on another planet - mountain bikers complaining about sponsors throwing money at events? Provided its not drug money who cares?

Gold cross, LBS, - go take a look at Bike SA and SAMBA - they have adds for Wiggle - I draw the line at overseas stuff like Chain Reaction and Wiggle sponsoring stuff BUT if you are in Aussie then competition is what it is about.
What about chains that are franchises - like BikeHubs and some Bicycle Superstores? LBS people who are branded under a group?

Lets face it we all shop where ever we feel like it - irrespective of who the event sponsor is? Like I will travel to Canberra to buy something from the LBS there cos I did an event there?

At the same time, locals will support local shops and GoldX get great brand exposure. Thanks GoldX and all sponsors - you make all the voulnteering and events possible.

serowe

Likes Dirt
The bigger $ that GX are providing :)
It's a portion of the entry fee (as johndh said) that goes towards the series prize pool, not necessarily sponsorship money. It would be great if that happened, but it also needs to be open and communicated to entrants that this is happening - the entry fee split riders are made aware of - sponsorship benefits? Has much actually been written about it?

krusty66

Likes Dirt
Sponsorship money goes towards promoting the sport as well as prize money, a company that is willing to provide cash to help grow the sport has be to seen as good thing.

LBS or not GX employs nearly 200 locals majority of which ride, race and help promote the sport.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Don't disagree with that at all - however, and this was evident at Bright, some of the clubs involved in the VES had received no information whatsoever about a new 'series sponsor'. In the words of one club rep 'if this is correct (ie GoldCross being named the series sponsor) we have had no say in it and hve no idea how it will benefit us as a club'.

paulb

Likes Dirt
I'd have to agree on calls for a little more transparency.

Are they providing prize money or promoting the sport or both?

Nothing against Goldcross - it's great that they're doing this.

Is it specifically about sponsoring VES or part of a broader MTBV package? I see they're also sponsors of the XC series. (and noting this thread is about XC and perhaps the questions are more in regard to VES)