2010 Marin Quake 7.8 headset issues.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok my riding buddyhas the above mentiones bike, it comes with Rock Shox domain forks with a 1.5" steerer, he went and bought a set of 2010 Boxxer Teams. The problem we are having is that the steerer tube on the frame is massive and no one makes a headset for it to fit the Boxxers, does anyone have any help or knowledge of a headset that will fit? We have been to about six bike shops and they can't help us.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plenty of brands do make the headset you are after.
They are called 1.5" reducer headsets.
This is an example of what you are after.
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4009

I believe that is one of the more expensive ones you would be looking at, but you get the idea. They run the same size cups to fit into your headtube, but with larger bearings and are spaced out to fit your 1.1/8" steerer tube.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is the exact headset we tried first, the steerer tube on the frame is like 2.5" no way in hell a standard 1.5" reducer headset will fit.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is the exact headset we tried first, the steerer tube on the frame is like 2.5" no way in hell a standard 1.5" reducer headset will fit.
When you say 2.5", do you mean external diameter of the frame? That shouldn't really effect the headset, as the interface that it's being pressed into would be 1.5" right?

How about this headset? It's the internal version of what nick posted. The cups don't protrude from the frame like a conventional headset.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10125

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you say 2.5", do you mean external diameter of the frame? That shouldn't really effect the headset, as the interface that it's being pressed into would be 1.5" right?

How about this headset? It's the internal version of what nick posted. The cups don't protrude from the frame like a conventional headset.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10125
2.5" was a slight exaggeration but its got a massive internal diameter, the headset we got just fell through, the only thing we can thing of is to get a machine shop to make up a sleeve for the headset to sit in.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
If the bike came with a fork with a 1.5" steerer, it's logical that it has a headtube designed for a 1.5" steerer. Maybe if you measure the internal diameter of the headtube you'll get some useful info.

- Joel

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What type of headset came with the frame? Have you got a model number or anything, or a link to the headset on a website?

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
The stock headset is an FSA Orbit E 1.5" Low Stack using regular cups (Pictured Below)

Therefore you need to replace it with a 1.5" - 1 1/8" reducer headset

FoxRidersCo

Like the one that I posted up? Or would you need deeper length cups like the standard one.
I'd go the deeper one especially if you can acheive the same low stack height, don't know if I trust the really tiny cupped headsets personally.

Something like the Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5R maybe

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go the deeper one especially if you can acheive the same low stack height, don't know if I trust the really tiny cupped headsets personally.
Sweet. The Orbit Z is the only zero stack one that I could find in a reducer format though, good stuff though foxy! :)

FoxRidersCo

That being said it doesn't mean you have to run it with a low stack, you can use a conventional reducer headset on the frame.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The stock headset is an FSA Orbit E 1.5" Low Stack using regular cups (Pictured Below)

Therefore you need to replace it with a 1.5" - 1 1/8" reducer headset
Yep thats the one. He bought the headset that Sputnick mentioned and it didn't fit, the internal diameter of the tube on the frame was too big, the headset just fell through. I don't know the actual diameter, it's not my bike, my mate just asked me to see what you guys would suggest. He took the frame back to the where he got the bike in Brisbane today and they didnh't have anything, neither did any of the other bike shops he went to. We're going to have another look at it tomorrow so i might have a bit more helpful info them, cheers for the help so far.

FoxRidersCo

How could it not fit, 1.5" headsets are designed to fit frames with Headtube O.D (outside diameter) 55mm

There is no way the O.D could be bigger than 55mm otherwise the current headset would not fit

Hmm sounds like we have a mystery on our hands.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How could it not fit, 1.5" headsets are designed to fit frames with Headtube O.D (outside diameter) 55mm

There is no way the O.D could be bigger than 55mm otherwise the current headset would not fit

Hmm sounds like we have a mystery on our hands.
I reckon, it's got me stumped. Apparently according to the lad at the bike shop Marin are dicks and got a custom made headset for that model bike (don't know how true this is, it's second hand info) and you can't change it unless you contact them and get them to make one, sounds like bullshit to me but we're still without a headset that fits so yeah. WTF??

Az

Likes Dirt
I reckon, it's got me stumped. Apparently according to the lad at the bike shop Marin are dicks and got a custom made headset for that model bike (don't know how true this is, it's second hand info) and you can't change it unless you contact them and get them to make one, sounds like bullshit to me but we're still without a headset that fits so yeah. WTF??
Sounds like the lad in the shop is the dick.......... its just a regular Orbit E 1.5 Internal headset, why would Marin
put in a custom size headtube.......... sounds like he has been given a std 1 1/8th size internal headset...........

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like the lad in the shop is the dick.......... its just a regular Orbit E 1.5 Internal headset, why would Marin
put in a custom size headtube.......... sounds like he has been given a std 1 1/8th size internal headset...........
I dunno, ring them up and ask them.
thats how it is, the Marin Quake 7.8 has a head tube and headset like no other bike on the market. Anyway it's old news we fixed it with some custom machined spacers and ther work a treat

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...the Marin Quake 7.8 has a head tube and headset like no other...
Looks like a standard 1.5". You friend must not be asking the right questions with said shops, or they just aren't worth visiting.
the 2010 looks to have an internal 1.5" like mentioned above.
These 2 pictures are the older, and new quake. older brown frame with conventional 1.5 and new with internal/integrated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Llook at the size of the head tube compared to the 09. You guys say these head sets should fit, but they don't. Why?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exactly. Look at the headtube.
The standard headset has the bearings outside the frame. The internal one has the same bearings inside the frame. Meaning a larger headtube is needed. But it doesn't make the headset any bigger.