2010 Snow season thread

Switch

huskier headed gent
Just a heads up to anyone heading up to Hotham this weekend, the road on the Harrietville side is down to one lane for a small section due to erosion and the resort is recomending people from Melbourne come up via the Gippsland side. Given the usual traffic load it should not be a drama but thought I would throw it out there.
Disclaimer: I have not been up the road but have heard it on the grapevine and in the Bordermail today.
Anyone else heading up this weekend YOU SUCK. I picked it at the start of the season, the one year I can't ski and it is epic :mad:.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Got some new fat skis, against my very experienced ol' mates advice, and they rock. Might not help me ski with finnese and style, but whocares, I can go anywhere and smash anything, well on a MTB scale anyway. If you have no style, and limited skill like me, and want to have fun, then get some fatties.
I do like skiing off the groomers mind you.

Last edited:

Switch

huskier headed gent
Got some new fat skis, against my very experienced ol' mates advice, and they rock. Might not help me ski with finnese and style, but whocares, I can go anywhere and smash anything, well on a MTB scale anyway. If you have no style, and limited skill like me, and want to have fun, then get some fatties.
I do like skiing off the groomers mind you.
"Got a bike today"
Same rules apply in the skiing thread, details details details :D
What are you riding, I have to live vicariously through others so keen to know what your running:cool:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
F*ck the police!

"Got a bike today"
Same rules apply in the skiing thread, details details details :D
What are you riding, I have to live vicariously through others so keen to know what your running:cool:
Rocking Armarda 2010/11 ARV twin tips, with bindings mounted back a bit.

Headed off to the snow today, and Jindabyne was a total grid lock, every back street, and everywhere, bumper to bumper rarely even moving, banked up well past dam wall to near servo on hill. The F*CKING POLICE:mad: thought it would be a good day to do a morning breathalize on the best/busiest ski day of the year. The chances of them creating an accident or road rage far outdose any justification they may have had to get their overtime. I hope someone sues their inconsiderate arses. I know I would if I was Perisher or Thredbo, they would have cost people thousands of $$$s, I'm furious, but if I'd taken time off work from a well paying job I'd be blood red with anger.
Oh well, I'll go ride my bike and head off at 6 in the morning tomorrow.
"F*CK THE POLICE" comment refers to Police in question.

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Aaaargh, are you kidding. I got a message from a mate saying to took him 1 hour to get from the dam to nuggets crossing because of the traffic, then to find out it was the cops with an RBT. Way to be the fun police.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Rocking Armarda 2010/11 ARV twin tips, with bindings mounted back a bit.

"F*CK THE POLICE" comment refers to Police in question.
That is unbelievable, how to piss off thousands of people. I accept that the cops doing RBT's in a resort are justified in that everyone gets on it then gets in the car in the morning but choose your battles. Saturday after a massive dump is just going to piss people off.
Those Armada's look sweet, I am yet to ride Armada's but the bro just got a set so will be trying them out next year. I checked the dimensions against my 4frnt MSP's and they are about 2cm wider in the tip and tail and my MSP's are fat so they must be huge. I love the extra width, the only negative is they are a bit slow edge to edge and I am yet to see how they perform in the pipe but they are awesome in the fresh.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So from this side of the ditch - we've had just under 70cm of powder in the last 4 days. By this afternoon though the last of it was getting pretty cut up though - has made some awesome hours of riding though!

I will try and get a few pictures up from over the season, unfortunately no powder pics as it was too good to bother stopping.

And if anyone is ever considering coming over to NZ to go skiing/boarding - I say do it! It's cheap, everyone's friendly and the facilities are world class. Not to mention the snow is so much better!

So that's now probably my season over guys, hope you've all enjoyed (or continue to) it as much as I have. Is anyone else chasing a few weeks/season of the northern hemi winter?

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Fuck the snow was rad the past 2-3 days!
Unlike when I am usually down, I didn't have to scope out where to turn and look for patches that weren't icey! Great, even cover!
The weather was perfect, at one stage I was wearing a shirt and my pants, no wind, sun, great visibility. It was great to have a huge variety of runs to choose from, especially the black/harder runs, and the ones out of the way from all the beginners.
All in all, a great weekend on the slopes, if you missed out, I feel sorry for you! :p

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Still some good snow up there. This is me on Saturday morning at Perisher... fresh tracks for some of the morning too!! Thats me in the blue.

completly agree, on satdy at falls i had a great day, spring skiin at its best..

the reported 7cms, but most places were about 15-25 well where we were riding..

untill about 11am, then the 4degrees took its toll, and it all became a slush pit.. which luckily, my favourite thing when theres no powder is slushy moguls!! and a nice soft kicker line in the park!

i love spring skiing/boarding.

to continue on, the last few weeks have been some of my best skiing in aus, couldnt belive how good the snow was up untill 2 weeks ago when all that damn rain came! but it didnt end up to poorly really.

i have got to ride so many sweet places this year at hotham, that i would have never known exsisted, some of the valleys we have trekked to, you would have sworn (if it wasnt for the aussie styled tree's) that you were oversea's!

most of them have required maybe a 30-40 minute walk into, and maybe a 5-10minute walk out.

this year was the second time i have ever had to fit chains, then i had to fit them 3 weekends in a row! defs not complaining when i drive up the hotham road, to see, fitting chains to all vechiles!

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Okay, not an expert or anything here, but maybe look at Myoko? From all the things I have read it isn't as westernised like the rest of the resorts.

I will be trecking over to Japan From about 9 February... and will be looking to head to Myoko after a week in Hakuba.
Hey guys,

Bit of a dig but I've just booked flights to Japan and I'm spending a week in Hakuba with 4 mates from the 4th-11th of February. I've never been skiing or boarding, but my friends got me in with promises of an easy learning location due to all the powder.

Anyone had any experience in Hakuba? It's pretty cheap, we're looking at around $830 for transfers from Narita, 7 nights accommodation and 6 day lift passes. Local knowledge, cost saving/drinking tips are all appreciated. Might have to catch up for a beer if you're still going, EzyLee.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I am still going... although I think we will just miss each other. I am coming in to Hakuba on the 12th of Feb to the 19th. I will be in Tokyo for a few days before hand though.

Are you staying at The Lab?

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
A tip that I have been told regarding luggage when you get to Japan. There are transport/courier companies at the airport that for a pretty low cost will transport your gear to where you are staying.

The company I have been told to use is 'Black Cat'
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/index.html

So instead of carrying all your snowboard gear on busses and trains, get them to transport the items for you. Will save you a lot of hassle apparently. You can do it both ways as well, so when you leave the ski fields get them to transport your items to the airport.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I am still going... although I think we will just miss each other. I am coming in to Hakuba on the 12th of Feb to the 19th. I will be in Tokyo for a few days before hand though.

Are you staying at The Lab?
We've got holds on several places at the moment, I don't think the lab's one of them...just checked my email, Gladerunner Lodge and Snowbeds backpackers, they're the cheapest we could find. Any tips for Japan in general? So far I've heard Whiskey's cheap, and you can eat reasonably well from the 7/11.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Thread Dig!

So, Japan trips are getting close... who is getting excited????

Some tips I have got from other people from other boards... copy and paste time:

----------------
I literally just got off a flight back from Japan (heaps tired, so sorry if I ramble or don't make sense). I was over there for 6 weeks, spending the last 2 boarding (and getting married) in Nozawa Onsen, near Hakuba. So, for what it is worth, here is my impression...

Firstly, the snow rocks. It is insanely dry and powdery (not at all like the Vancouver/Whistler "cement"). We consistently received around 20 - 40cm of fresh powder every night (and it is still very early in the season), with some days up to a meter. (the BNE guys will kill me for saying this, but while they flooded we received over a meter of fresh powder... definitely the most amazing day boarding in my life). The riding style is completely different to Australian and Whistler conditions. Do set your stance slightly back, and be prepared to shoot straight down the hill or find yourself losing speed and having to dig yourself out. Double black runs are easy when they are covered in a meter of powder!!! You will have a hard time breaking your cocxyix if you stick to the ungroomed runs! That being said, travel insurance is still a must.

Never, absolutely never wear cotton. Once wet it stays wet, and you will be fucked. If you do find yourself getting cold, deliberately crash into deep powder... it wasn't hard for us to find ourselves more than waist deep and taking around 20 minutes to dig ourselves out (it is scary the first time ). You will be sweating by this point. "Swimming" out when it is this deep is a hell of a lot easier. Temperatures for us were around -5 to -20 with wind chill, and I was very comfortable with un-insulated bib-pants & jacket, mid weight thermals (top and bottom) and a mid weight wool fleece top. Bib-pants are a must if you search for powder. And don't forget a neck warmer and some sort of face protection (I prefer a "buff").

Don't bother to learn to ski/board over there... almost all group lessons are in Japanese, and the individual english lessons are consistently booked out.

ABSOLUTELY learn some basic japanese. Please, thank you, good morning, good afternoon, hello, I'm sorry I don't understand, I dont speak Japanese, and do you speak english... these are basic phrases which when said, open up a whole new world of insanely nice japanese folk willing to bend over backwards to help you out. Even if this is all you can say, they will usually comment on how good your japanese is, while handing you something free. Buy a shit load of gifts (not stuffed koalas... that shit is just tacky!) and give them out freely and happily. Japanese don't tip, and so a gift to them is a big compliment. Give one to someone who re-arranges your room if you stay in a traditional japanese room... guaranteed you will get an even plusher bed the next night. Some Japanese may stare at you (I am a Ranga, and my wife is a tall blonde so it is a given)... they are not being rude, but are genuinely interested in you. Buy them a beer and try a conversation. And as others say, don't be an Aussie Bogan.

You will come back insanely spoiled, and unwilling to ride other snow conditions again.

Sharpening your edges isn't necessary as there isn't much ice... but a fresh hot-wax makes a hell of a big difference.

Beverage vending machines are everywhere (every street corner... I kid you not!). Food vending machines are harder to find (I saw probably two out of a million). I think this has something to do with it being considered to be rude eating while moving (or out in public). Bins for rubbish are hard to find, while beverage bins (neatly sorted into plastic types, aluminium, and so forth) are plentiful.

Beer is cheap, hard liquor is cheaper... sake cheaper still. Dry sake is good cold, medium sweet sake good warm. Ask them for their recommendation on this, and be prepared to give it a go.

Eating in Tokyo is cheap... shopping and accommodation is way more expensive. On the hills, you can get a good filling meal for around 1200 yen. Izakaya... it is a japanese style tapas bar / pub. Definitely give it a go. Oh, and I don't think I need to say it, but don't eat the fermented fish and squid guts. It tastes like it sounds...

Onsens are awesome. Absolutely wash yourself first, and full nudity is required. It is freaky the first time, but quite relaxing once you get used to it. Onsens really make it possible to go hard the next day. Try it. Trust me.

Kyoto would be my choice if you have a free 4 days afterwards (it is what I imagine when someone says "think of Japan"). Osaka is very similar to Tokyo, but with cheaper food... particularly in the red light district.

I think that is it for my ramblings... :p

---------

- Watch out for the 'party vortex' - you can get stupid drunk anywhere, you cant ride waist-deep powder anywhere so re-think that extra shot/beer/whatever.
- Be nice to the lifties/on-mountain staff - they see everyone coming down and can often give you tips as to where the best lines are. (that is if they aren't baked out of their brains). They will also 'forget' to notice that you slipped to the front of the line or let you ride a chair by yourself. Staff are often great sources for good, cheap food and drink deals on the hill.
- Try and buy kids tickets - with full gear on it's often easy to pass as a kid (sadly my beard has halted this trick for me).
- Spot your lines and don't be a hero. You might feel like a champ on your local hill but that 60ft step-up booter/triple kink could end your trip early. Same with that cliff line. A little research can mean that you will ride for the rest of the day/trip and avoid a trip to the ER. Start easy and work up.

Have fun... I'm coming off 5 years on the 'Wet Coast' of Canada (or the 'NorthWet' as it was sometimes called) where I was lucky/motivated enough to get out every week on average. I had the chance to ride a lot of great places/great days.

Oh and never forget to high your buddies! Even the worst conditions can be made awesome with good positive friends.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
departing 1/2, can't wait.

ABSOLUTELY learn some basic japanese. Please, thank you, good morning, good afternoon, hello, I'm sorry I don't understand, I dont speak Japanese, and do you speak english... these are basic phrases which when said, open up a whole new world of insanely nice japanese folk willing to bend over backwards to help you out. Even if this is all you can say, they will usually comment on how good your japanese is, while handing you something free.
+1. domo arigatou, ohio gozaimasu, wakarimasen. know those 3 and smile lots.

don't be an Aussie Bogan.
+2

Oh, and I don't think I need to say it, but don't eat the fermented fish and squid guts. It tastes like it sounds...
eat it, but only so you know not to eat it again. try nattou, that stuff's awesome.