2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Did anyone hear the bagpiper on the back of the mountain around sunrise?

That was my father, I relieved him of crew duties and sent him up there to encourage everyone. Hope that it didn't hurt too many peoples ears.

Well done to all who kept climbing that ridiculous mountain twice every lap!!
He was awesome. Encouragement and support from generous people like your Dad is what kept me going all race! Thank him from me :)

Last edited:

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
What a great event, well done to all the volunteers and organisers and the high staminer 24hr tackside supporters and my pit crew, you all kick butt.

I covered a large range of emotions in that 24hrs, huge highlights descending pork barrell flat out a couple of times with no other riders, climbing the fireroad to the top completely alone in the middle of the night and I had an amazing trip hammering down skyline and the berm track with a canadian rider. Those moments made up for the desire to throw up at the mere thought of another gel or sweet high energy food, or the cringe when climbing a couple of those fire road sections after midnight, no SS for me, I love my granny gear......

austy

Likes Bikes
i was riding behind one guy (i think danish) who said, "in my country we have no hills, i never rode a switchback until today".

DaGonz

Eats Squid
However..... riding for 24hrs was a doddle compared to the pain my knees were giving me on the way home. I think it rates as some of the worst pain I have experienced! Does anyone know how to fix this after a race?
Ice, Rest, and nurofen...

...if pain persists, see a doctor yadda yadda ;)

Cheers
Spoonie

Conster

Squid
Thanks to everyone both competing and crewing I had a fantastic time. Special thanks to those hermits up in the bush that kept encouraging us all night. The course was awesome!

However..... riding for 24hrs was a doddle compared to the pain my knees were giving me on the way home. I think it rates as some of the worst pain I have experienced! Does anyone know how to fix this after a race?
yeah how cool were those people camped by the side of the road at the top of the mountain - clearly not race volunteers, but pumping out some good tunes and that women in the middle of the trees on the hill side clapping everyone on in the wee small hours of the night - must have frozen her a*s off...

Raf

Likes Dirt
i was riding behind one guy (i think danish) who said, "in my country we have no hills, i never rode a switchback until today".
Thats makes me smile. Well he got a life time off them in that 24 hours. Speaking to the OS riders was a great part of the event. I helped a danish female with a flat tyre, I hope she figured out how to put the thing back on a single speed set up. I couldnt make heads nor tail of it.

To every one who gave me a word of encouragement thanks very much, it got me through a long night. You would remember me, you all overtook me alot of times.

Thanks again to everyone, it meant alot to be a part of this.

Raf

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
yeah what was up with all those Homer "praise Jeebus" posters?
Something to do with the whole "Can it be called a World champs" debate I think...;)

Ezekiel 36:19
I scattered them to many lands to punish them for the evil way they had lived.

Google is your friend.....

And thanks again to everyone for making that the most amazing race that I have ever been in!

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Presentation and Dinner was moved as we outgrew what the Crowne Plaza was able to fit. It was either move, or a lot of people not be able to attend.
The ANU venue is about a 15minute walk from Crowne Plaza (or 5 minute drive with parking close by).
about as woefull, as woefull could ever be....

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Did anyone hear the bagpiper on the back of the mountain around sunrise?

That was my father, I relieved him of crew duties and sent him up there to encourage everyone. Hope that it didn't hurt too many peoples ears.

Well done to all who kept climbing that ridiculous mountain twice every lap!!
Yep, he started up just after I rode past and the sound of those pipes got me up that hill a bit easier that lap. It was guys like that and all those littered around the track right throughout the night that gave me a little boost from time time.
Awesome effort from all riders I've gotta say, riding that track for 24hrs was brutal and thanks to Mullett for a track that was appropriate for a world championship. Well done Jess and Jason and all the Age cat winners, and of course you SS freaks.
And all the pit crews, you guys rock.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Dreggsy:

I got the same 'runtime error' - however if I hit the Refresh on my browser, the results page comes up. Needed to do this each step of the way.

Give that a go.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something to do with the whole "Can it be called a World champs" debate I think...;)

Ezekiel 36:19
I scattered them to many lands to punish them for the evil way they had lived.

Google is your friend.....

And thanks again to everyone for making that the most amazing race that I have ever been in!
Alternatively, 36:19 might be Brett's gear ratio - just saying

As for the race, I had an absolute ball! I was hurting pretty bad at about 2am and contemplating pulling the plug, then I pulled into the pits and 'the boss' (aka Mum) starts scream "you're up to fifth! get on with it!"(u25) so I went out and cracked my fastest lap of the night and stayed good till then end (after a minor freak out with two hours to go when 6th closed to 8 minutes behind me)

For what its worth, after spending my birthday last year with three broken ribs, I didnt think i'd ever spend a birthday in more pain ever again.... how wrong I was....:rolleyes: