2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Larabeemax

Likes Bikes
jersey only

Thats a lot of money! but it's a good brand. I just wish they would offer the jersey on its own (I'm a bib-nick only guy). If it was $150 it'd still be expensive but I'd swallow it. Maybe if enough of us are interested and send Stuart an email they will offer the items separately?
I would definitely be up for that - I too am bib knicks only

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Bravo!

Organising something as massive as the World 24's is an enormous undertaking... and naturally there will be things that could always be done better.
However, I would like to pass on my congrats and thanks to all those from CORC and from Twenty4 Sports.
Russ Baker and his team and Stu Dorland and his team were amazing.
I would also like to publicly apologise to the parking volunteer that I upset (not deliberately) on Sunday.
Also can I give a massive BRAVO to all the media teams. This event set a new benchmark in professionalism. Stu Plant was fantastic and I'm sure everyone will join me in congratulating Hugh from OzDirtCast and his team for the amazing updates (keep a look out for the movie).
Further, to thank all those international riders who came here to take on the Aussies. You ALL put on a fantastic display and the event would not have been the same without you all. Notable was definitely the Brits... they came here as a true team and probably have set a new benchmark as to how a team should travel to the worlds in future.
Lastly on behalf of other support crew, thanks to our riders for allowing us to share just a little in your success', no matter how big or seemingly small.
This is a brutal sport... it's awesome when you are winning and sux big time when you aren't... but regardless it's such a drama and amazing to watch and be a part of.
Cheers

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
IT IS THE ONLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - FULL STOP.
Every rider who did laps in competition at this event understands ....... what it takes..... all others are irrelevant - please leave the building now, with Elvis.

Jason and Jess are worthy of World recognition - they are champions who do it for love and competition not the millions that footballers receive for a one nation sport (AFL)

Thanks to the volunteers, CORC, all the entrants, pit managers and all riders' supporters and spectators who lined the course. Canberra provided immaculate weather for the riders in the events - please let me know how to organize this!!!
Well said Beechie.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I rode the Solo course just after the race had finished & took some course photos - might be interesting for those who've never been to Mt Stromlo:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Wow, what an awesome experience and one that was truly unforgettable. That was my first 24hour as I qualified through the Sydney 24hour being washed out after 12 hours. I thought my race was over before it began as I had no sleep from 1.20am the morning of the race. I was ready to go and too pumped up to sleep. However, I managed to grind out 16 laps and place in the top 30% of the 35-39 age group which I was super happy about as I had a goal of top 50%. The best part of a solo 24 are the other riders on course. What an amazing bunch of people all going through the same agonizing yet exhilarating experience. The support from spectators and team riders was amazing with many thanks going to all that played any part of the organisation of the event from the volunteers to people like Russ and Stu. Thanks for the memories.

DuncanFG

Likes Dirt
IT IS THE ONLY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - FULL STOP.
Well, yes and no... There is the European 'World' 24 hour solo championship as well but speaking with Alex Kiendl who either raced or spoke to a lot of people who did (I forget exactly which ones she ended up competing in) one is a hell of a lot more 'mtb' than the other.

Speaking of Alex, her story from the weekend was pretty amazing. She made a last minute decision on the Sunday before the race to fly from Austria to Canberra with almost no training or preparation under her belt. Her partner was sad to see her go so he also made a snap decision on the Wednesday to fly out and surprise her. Made for some pretty special moments. After the race she said it may've been her worst result (11th) but one of the best 24 hours she's ever done.

JessD

Likes Dirt
Bag piper Dave!

Did he tell you about the rider who stopped on that corner to play a tune on his pipes? That was me. He looked a bit bewildered at first with some skinny, filthy cyclist pointing his Ayups in you poor dads face asking him to hand over his pipes with the words "I promise I won' hurt them". It was cool, that cheered me up more than anything else during the race.:D
Fun for you! that is awesome, you would have loved that! I am sad I missed it, I would have stopped and watched. Go you good thing

griggsy

Squid
Did he tell you about the rider who stopped on that corner to play a tune on his pipes?
Yeah he did, it was definately the highlight of his piping. In fact he enjoyed piping to all the riders so much that i think he may become a regular fixture of Canberra 24hr races.

Imagine if the next worlds is held at Newcastleton in Scotland (where the UK champs were held), there would be pipers a plenty!

griggsy

Squid
Thoughts on spectating

As i know 24HOA are watching this site for ways to improve the event for next year I had a thought on spectating -

Pit row was amazing, and it was so exciting to watch the lead girls come through all close together (my racer was camped next to Eszter Horanyi), but unfortunately the majority of spectators miss out on watching the pit drama as you needed a pit pass to get in.

Idea, set up a "spectator alley" so people can watch the elite boys and girls pit from behind a baricade so they wont get in the way of racers. I think this would be huge boost for riders as they would be cheered on by their fans as the come through pits.

Just a thought.

Raf

Likes Dirt
As i know 24HOA are watching this site for ways to improve the event for next year I had a thought on spectating -

Pit row was amazing, and it was so exciting to watch the lead girls come through all close together (my racer was camped next to Eszter Horanyi), but unfortunately the majority of spectators miss out on watching the pit drama as you needed a pit pass to get in.

Idea, set up a "spectator alley" so people can watch the elite boys and girls pit from behind a baricade so they wont get in the way of racers. I think this would be huge boost for riders as they would be cheered on by their fans as the come through pits.

Just a thought.
Agreed, the drama that unfolded in pit alley was such a big part of my race. The support and cheers from other pit crews and supoprt as you head back out for another one where much more motivating than the claps at the transition as you came in.

I also got lost at the end. I would have liked to have come over the line and been engulfed in my support crew behind the finish line, but I found myself meandering alone back to the pits for not knowing where to ride... someone may have told me what to do, but I was a bit la la to think quick enough...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I rode the Solo course just after the race had finished & took some course photos - might be interesting for those who've never been to Mt Stromlo:
Stupidly Fun course! For the 12hrs I rode before my shoulder blew up, the climbs were never hideous an the descents stupidly grin inducing. I thought it was going to disintegrate as the hours clocked on but by the looks of those photos, it held up pretty well!!

Well done Mullet and CORC!

I was lapping with a few of the Elite girls for most of the day. Jody and the Suisse girl were wheel to wheel at some points, and I think at one stage I could eye ball Peta, Katrin, The Suisse girl (sorry, I've forgotten your name) and Jody on the same section of course. I didn't realise it, but Jess & Ester must have only been just up the road a bit. Given the caliber of the riders in both the mens and womens, I don't think there's any disputing our guys and gals are world class! Was definitely very exciting to watch from the inside ;)

Cheers
Spoonie

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
It would also have been a fantastic touch if the pit row big screen displayed a list of the most recent 10 riders to cross the start finish.This would ensure the pit crews got a minutes warning that their rider was inbound (similar to what was displayed at the easter race). Names and lap times would probably have been more use than the live video feed as picking a riders jersey colours on the screen can't have been easy.

Other than that - a brilliant event and a pleasure to be a part of it.

anyfin

Likes Bikes
re spectating pit row, we were pitted next to Jodie, across from Esther and 5 down from the Champ Jess and it was amazing.

These girls are tough and no matter the pressure they were under, the way they handled themselves in pit row was amazing, cool, calm and collected, sensational!

As the elite riders were nearly all up one end of pit row, may be a small grandstand or viewing mound at that end of the pits to allow spectators to look down the pit row and watch it unfold?

I waited at the bridge before transition for our rider to go through, that way we knew where he was and how long it would be before he was in the pits, worked for us.

Not being able to hear the announcements or commentary in the pits was both a disappointment and a god send, not sure what the answer is on that one.

Merging was an issue that was dealt with on the way in but not on the way out in my opinion. The small cardboard signs on the bottom of the poles leading up to the merge before going under the bridge were the best I could do with the equipment I had at my disposal as pit manager, not course marshal or volunteer.

Great event, great result for our rider and I did find my self envious that I was not riding in a team at times, but I am very proud of our rider and his honest effort, great team work with Wife Cazza and Sponsor Bicycle Super Store Grant,

Go Damo

Kenny Budgie

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
Yeah he did, it was definately the highlight of his piping. In fact he enjoyed piping to all the riders so much that i think he may become a regular fixture of Canberra 24hr races!
That would be awesome! Hopefully that'll starts up some sort of 24 hour bag pipe trend