2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

OzDirtCast

Likes Bikes
The SBS footage looked great, can't wait for my copy of the DVD to arrive. As much as I wanted to be racing against Troy it has been a fantastic asset to you guys to have him floating around the track and being able to ride behind all the solo riders is a true blessing and the footage that he came back with would not have been possible with just your average bike rider!!

quiggs
Indeed! I'd never met Troy before the race but he was truly a godsend for the film and has continued to be after the race ended with advice and contacts... he's in for a cut of the film too so everyone get out there and pre-order one!!!

As someone who rode a rigid bike for 15 laps last weekend, knocking out 70-80 minutes for each (holding down 5th in singlespeed for 15 hours until my world collapsed for a while). I can categorically state that it was rough out there.

3am and I sat in my pit, shaking, trying to focus my eyes, with my brain fried from the unending concentration needed to ride that brutal track quickly, trying to dislodge the hot pokers embedded in my right hip and knee, and feebly attempting to up my energy levels. It took a full 90 minutes to feel stable enough on my feet to get out riding again.

It wasn't just the roughness, in fact the steeper and most technical bits of Pork Barrel were OK as they slowed the speed a little. It was just relentless, and eye-wateringly quick. I was more beaten up at the end of the last descent than I was after the climbs. And that was the supposedly smoother one. There is nothing like hammering into braking bumps and using them to lose speed for the upcoming corner. I have a lovely picture taken at one of the corners, with my front tyre squirming and my entire upper body tensed under braking.

It was an unbelievable experience, and one I simply can't describe to riders who weren't there, let alone people who don't ride.

Thanks to CORC and everyone for ensuring I found my mental and physical limits. A 24 race will never be the same again. And thanks to Jason and Brett for taking time to chat as you overtook me on your way to winning. I'd call you machines based on your performances, but machines aren't nearly such gentlemen.

Last edited:

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
As someone who rode a rigid bike for 15 laps last weekend, knocking out 70-80 minutes for each (holding down 5th in singlespeed for 15 hours until my world collapsed for a while). I can categorically state that it was rough out there.

3am and I sat in my pit, shaking, trying to focus my eyes, with my brain fried from the unending concentration needed to ride that brutal track quickly, trying to dislodge the hot pokers embedded in my right hip and knee, and feebly attempting to up my energy levels. It took a full 90 minutes to feel stable enough on my feet to get out riding again.

It wasn't just the roughness, in fact the steeper and most technical bits of Pork Barrel were OK as they slowed the speed a little. It was just relentless, and eye-wateringly quick. I was more beaten up at the end of the last descent than I was after the climbs. And that was the supposedly smoother one. There is nothing like hammering into braking bumps and using them to lose speed for the upcoming corner. I have a lovely picture taken at one of the corners, with my front tyre squirming and my entire upper body tensed under braking.

It was an unbelievable experience, and one I simply can't describe to riders who weren't there, let alone people who don't ride.

Thanks to CORC and everyone for ensuring I found my mental and physical limits. A 24 race will never be the same again. And thanks to Jason and Brett for taking time to chat as you overtook me on your way to winning. I'd call you machines based on your performances, but machines aren't nearly such gentlemen.
And hence why many opt for a fully geared dual suspension bike. Makes me wonder why you guys insist on making it even harder for yourselves? All power to you.

dyon

Likes Bikes
And hence why many opt for a fully geared dual suspension bike. Makes me wonder why you guys insist on making it even harder for yourselves? All power to you.
I can understand the argument for a dually but I actually found the course pretty smooth on my 29er hardtail. I think correct tyre and pressure choices can make a big difference. I also find it crazy that people run tubes in this day and age, especially on a course with rocks.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can understand the argument for a dually but I actually found the course pretty smooth on my 29er hardtail. I think correct tyre and pressure choices can make a big difference. I also find it crazy that people run tubes in this day and age, especially on a course with rocks.
I rode one lap on my Blacksheep due to a mechanical on my Tallboy.
It was definitely rideable on the hardtail but I came away much more fatigued after that lap than after any lap on the Tallboy.

dyon

Likes Bikes
I rode one lap on my Blacksheep due to a mechanical on my Tallboy.
It was definitely rideable on the hardtail but I came away much more fatigued after that lap than after any lap on the Tallboy.
Maybe being a lightweight means the hardtail didn't beat me up as much? Because I find it hard to believe I would have been any quicker over the 24hrs on a dually. Yet most people ride them so I feel I'm doing it the wrong way.

Yes, I often wonder myself :D

I guess I ride a bike that tickles my soul. As for everyone, it is all personal and I am there to test myself and how I ride. I'm sure I'd be faster and more comfortable on a fully geared fully. But that would miss the point.

I do need new forks now though. I bent mine in the race. They'll be rigid again.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I rode on a production, super oversized, overly stiff alloy hardtail. It was definately more a course for the duallies. After 16 hours every rut and bump felt like a jab to the kidneys from Mike Tyson. I was overtaking faster riders that I up the climbs, but losing atleast that time and those places on the way back down.

Riding rigid is more fun, makes you stronger and a technically better rider. A 1 hour ride on a rigid bike after work feels like 2 or 3 on a loungechair/duallie.

My fastest 3 laps were on a single speed. I was faster up the climbs and the steel frame made it more comfortable (and therefore made me less hesitant to ride faster) on the descents. That said, having trained to ride on a geared bike, I couldn't have mashed a big gear up the climbs for the whole race.

I rode my first 24hr on a rigid single speed. A sus fork is definately faster as the laps go by and your arms get too tired to pick the front wheel up over the bumps. However, a big bag front tyre, carbon bars, nice grips and a nice carbon fork probably comes close to the comfort of an 80mm fork over the small hits, which is where most of the pain comes from.

I'd do it again on a rigid single speed. It tests you in a different way, and is also more rewarding, IMO. That said, if you are at the pointy end and racing for a place on the podium, rather than a sense of personal achievement, buttons and squish are certainly the way to go - unless you're a freak like Brett or Ed.

I also think that single speed riding makes you a smarter rider. I tend to waste energy on a gearie, clicking up and putting too many pedal strokes in on flat stuff where it doesn't make a difference. On a single speed you save your energy for the climbs, keep smoother through the corners and chew up the free distance as it comes, because you're just going to spin out if you start pedalling. Single speeding really makes you realise that smoothness = free speed, it also makes you ride within yourself.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Yet most people ride them so I feel I'm doing it the wrong way.
Meh, there is no right or wrong way IMHO... Do whatever inspires you to get out there and give it a crack!!

I'm with Norm, Hat's off to those who chose to tackle 24hrs without the comforts of Squish, knobs and dials. I understand why you do it, but I'd never do it myself :)

Cheers
Spoonie

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I also think that single speed riding makes you a smarter rider. I tend to waste energy on a gearie, clicking up and putting too many pedal strokes in on flat stuff where it doesn't make a difference. On a single speed you save your energy for the climbs, keep smoother through the corners and chew up the free distance as it comes, because you're just going to spin out if you start pedalling. Single speeding really makes you realise that smoothness = free speed, it also makes you ride within yourself.
You know... here's the thing. I ride my "real" bike the exact way you describe above. The difference is, that when gravity takes over, I'm able to select a bigger gear and go faster with ZERO extra effort. I still save my energy for the hills (when you are as unfit as me you have to) and I probably have an average cadence of less than 70rpm. Remember also that the so-called "squishy" duallies of the past, is NOT what the likes of the Jason English's/Jess Douglas' are riding. Jess' dually is quicker on techie CLIMBS that her hard tail is... hands down.

But as I've already said... ALL POWER TO YOU... you are my heros

Last edited:

zed42

Likes Bikes
I think if you don't understand what would drive a person to do a 24 solo on a hardtail/rigid/singlespeed/unicycle rather than taking the "easier" option, then perhaps you should go and ask Jess why she races 24 solo, rather than just sticking to 12 hour races, or team 24s.

If any of us wanted to do things the easy way, we wouldn't be doing this kind of race at all.

That said, I personally find my 29er hardtail easier to ride over rough stuff than my 26er dually, and riding a singlespeed gives me an excuse to walk up all the hills and have a chat, so it's not all about masochsim :)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
You know... here's the thing. I ride my "real" bike the exact way you describe above. The difference is, that when gravity takes over, I'm able to select a bigger gear and go faster with ZERO extra effort. I still save my energy for the hills (when you are as unfit as me you have to) and I probably have an average cadence of less than 70rpm. Remember also that the so-called "squishy" duallies of the past, is NOT what the likes of the Jason English's/Jess Douglas' are riding. Jess' dually is quicker on techie CLIMBS that her hard tail is... hands down.

But as I've already said... ALL POWER TO YOU... you are my heros
Point taken. A good duallie will let you sit and spin over the techie stuff. A hardtail, geared or not will make you stand more.

The WSC course was didn't really have techy climbing. Bluegums/ABC is smooth, the back climb was mostly firetrail. If the descending was as buff, like the euros were used to, I reckon it would have been a pure hardtail course, which explains why many of them bought 2 sub 9kg 26in hardtails.

That said, Jess and Jason are on, what, $6-10k+ worth of bike? At a money no object level, of course a duallie would be sweet, and at that money they'd better be able to do everything well! Hardtails are more fun, and rigid bikes yet moreso if you ride more for fun than for podium positions. Given the 'one bike and $3-4k' scenario that most punters are in, the split between hardtail and duallie is less clear. Personally, i'd much rather be on a top end $3-4k hardail (or rigid bike) than a mediocre $3k duallie. Horses for courses...and riders...and wallets I guess.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I think if you don't understand what would drive a person to do a 24 solo on a hardtail/rigid/singlespeed/unicycle rather than taking the "easier" option, then perhaps you should go and ask Jess why she races 24 solo, rather than just sticking to 12 hour races, or team 24s.

If any of us wanted to do things the easy way, we wouldn't be doing this kind of race at all.
Having "TRIED" to complete two 24 solos myself (still yet to ride completely non-stop), I'm not sure I would call riding a dually for 24 as taking the "easier" option. But then that's just me.

Point taken. A good duallie will let you sit and spin over the techie stuff. A hardtail, geared or not will make you stand more.

The WSC course was didn't really have techy climbing. Bluegums/ABC is smooth, the back climb was mostly firetrail. If the descending was as buff, like the euros were used to, I reckon it would have been a pure hardtail course, which explains why many of them bought 2 sub 9kg 26in hardtails.

That said, Jess and Jason are on, what, $6-10k+ worth of bike? At a money no object level, of course a duallie would be sweet, and at that money they'd better be able to do everything well! Hardtails are more fun, and rigid bikes yet moreso if you ride more for fun than for podium positions. Given the 'one bike and $3-4k' scenario that most punters are in, the split between hardtail and duallie is less clear. Personally, i'd much rather be on a top end $3-4k hardail (or rigid bike) than a mediocre $3k duallie. Horses for courses...and riders...and wallets I guess.
Good points... however Jess never "spins" up climbs... but rather does pretty much what a single speeder does and maintains power and traction...
Anywho... I'll stop myself from turning this into yet another Norm bagging single speeders session! But I loves youse all! Trust me. ;)

zed42

Likes Bikes
Having "TRIED" to complete two 24 solos myself (still yet to ride completely non-stop), I'm not sure I would call riding a dually for 24 as taking the "easier" option. But then that's just me.
Well, if it's not the easier option, then the others are not harder options and your argument disappears in a puff of logic

spikenet

Likes Dirt
As far as bike choice goes, I think it really depends on what you ride regularly. Be it hard-tail, dually or rigid.

I borrowed a very expensive hardtail for a spare bike and did one lap on it. Its the first time for years ive used a hardtail and it really punished me on the descents! The climbs were awesome, a sub 9kg bike is something else on climbs!

Needless to say, my main bike would have needed a catastrophic failure for me to go out on the HT again. Luckily it performed near flawlessly!

Since the 24, I've done a number of 4+ hour rides on the HT and really enjoy it now. Its not as fun on the descents but wow can it climb!