2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Flying haggis

Likes Bikes
The WSC was the first time I'd raced on a dual suspension bike, it was also the first time I'd raced/ridden a 29er.

Normally I ride a 26er hardtail, but was lucky enough to get a loan of a 29er stumpy fsr from my LBS. It was heavier than my HT but much more enjoyable to ride. I also felt far faster on the stumpy 29er fsr than I did on my own bike, I didnt even notice the extra weight on the climbs.

IMO I think the course at Stromlo suited a duallie more than a hardtail, and suited a 29er duallie even more.

But whats right for one person may not be right for another.

Hats of to the SS guys and girls though, awesome effort riding that course with no gears etc.

Cheers,
FH

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Did anyone have better luck with chain lube? I could only get 2 laps out of rock n roll gold, the lube dried up quickly! Tried to stretch out a third Lap and it wasn't pretty! Any tips cos it was a pain having to re- lube that often.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Did anyone have better luck with chain lube? I could only get 2 laps out of rock n roll gold, the lube dried up quickly! Tried to stretch out a third Lap and it wasn't pretty! Any tips cos it was a pain having to re- lube that often.
I know I'm in a minority but I'm all for wet lubes ALL the time! (Wet Extreme)

During the 24 I was doing about 6+ laps without the need of re-lubing. Even then, the chain wasnt squeeking like it does with the wax based lubes.
Never had to reloob during Terra Australis stages or other 100km events.

The only real problem is they look messy, but I find my chains last alot longer so its a price I'm prepared to pay! I think wax lubes are a conspiracy for bikeshops to sell more kit :)

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the feeling my chain started sqeeking leaving pit lane, drove me mad......
I will switch to wet lube next time!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My LBS recently put me onto Squirt wax based lube - i like it alot because its much easier and quicker to apply - I got 4 laps to a lube before the chain became annoyingly loud

WildWassa

Banned
bit irrelevant?
So is he.:cool:
Jean, give us all the goss, who are you talking about?

Enquiring minds want to know. I've been wracking my brain for hours and becoming curiouser and curiouser ... and I can't work it out.

Warren.

PS, Jean, did I upset you Mate by posting on your 'Mountain Biking is Fun', thread and steal your thunder about your illness ... by showing how much fun mountain biking actually is? Please put it down to my youthful enthusiasm. I can remember when I was 'overly-precious' when I was your age. Is this relevant?

Last edited:

matt_dog

Likes Bikes
Loved the course. Did most kms on my duallie. A couple on my hardtail were fun too!

I flicked 2 gels to hungry riders.
Bush mechanic fixed one broken spoke for a chick stuck on the b line.
Pushed some dude around the crit track who had a broken chain & was 'kick biking' it home

All-in-all a tough, very rewarding, do it again any day event.

dog

zed42

Likes Bikes
zed42, G'day. I see two black diamonds not a green circle on the sign, has the track difficulty been regraded, recently.
The map on the Stromlo Forest Park website has the track marked as blue until the point where it meets Pork Barrel, and then green down to the firetrail. Perhaps the top part really is double black, but we only rode on the green section.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Thanks Australia!

Well folks it's been a great three weeks. Thanks to everyone who assisted with the staging of the first WSC outside of North America. You have a great endurance following and it's amazing to see first hand. I can't wait to be back next October. For now we are off to holiday and back in the office November 1st.

Cheers

Stuart

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For all those who are doing the sportograf.de Fotoflat thing - its definately worthwhile trawling through the 100 or pages of unnumbered pictures - I probably doubled the number of photos I got... I also found a unique shot of me from an angle nobody else had a photo from (I know, I just went through 100 pages of pics) which I thought was rather special :D

Also, even if you arent going to buy the photos, have a look at the photos from the finishing line - some extremely tired bodies there - mine included

soloslowpoke

Cannon Fodder
Seriously, it is the engine at the end of the day, not the bike!!!

Jase or Jess could ride a huffy for a few laps and still beat most of us posting on a forum!!!

As for the Photo question I still would love to know who the SHOOTER on Skyline near the down hill bridge was. Because they were takeing great fast (smooth) mtb shots. Clearly Matt Price was also, but I feel sportograf was streached this year between the two races.

that's my 2 cents worth!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
btw, is it too early to start the 2011 thread? I hear its in Europe/UK :p (My recent holiday in Europe got cut short for family reasons... surely throwing the bikes in for the return trip couldnt hurt;););))

tegski

Likes Dirt
Well folks it's been a great three weeks. Thanks to everyone who assisted with the staging of the first WSC outside of North America. You have a great endurance following and it's amazing to see first hand. I can't wait to be back next October. For now we are off to holiday and back in the office November 1st.

Cheers

Stuart
"...back next October"??????

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goody goody goody perhaps Europe/UK fell through?!?!? has Stu Dorland let something slip?

or perhaps he just wants to come back to Australia and ride in the Scott next year because Australia is just such a cool place

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
My race report is online for people to check out:
http://bit.ly/cLOvMW

I'm not sure if there is any truth to the race coming over to the UK next year, but I think we will see the WSC over here within the next 2-3 years for sure.

The course was pretty rough, but not all "euros" ride on buffed tracks. The courses in the UK are all pretty rough and the races I have done in Europe have also been rather rough as well.

I was a little disappointed to see the jump removed on Luge. It was the only line I'd taken in practice so it was a surprise to have to take a different line. I can also see the logic behind it, taking the jump at 2am might have ended in a messy heap :)

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Hey UKMatt,
Sensational write up. Lamingtons are always nice, though we can all do w/o brown snakes ...

Hope it all comes together in your next 24.

a

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goody goody goody perhaps Europe/UK fell through?!?!? has Stu Dorland let something slip?

or perhaps he just wants to come back to Australia and ride in the Scott next year because Australia is just such a cool place
The Scott 24Hr (the "normal" race) is now part of an affiliated groups of races with 24 Hours of Adrenalin - so that is why he will be back next year.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see World Solo Champs in the same place twice in a row - not if the event and the sport are to grow worldwide. Maybe 2013 back here (Centenary of Canberra).

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Personally, I wouldn't want to see World Solo Champs in the same place twice in a row - not if the event and the sport are to grow worldwide. Maybe 2013 back here (Centenary of Canberra).
2013 sounds good to me,at my current rate of improvement it should be around then I might be able to compete for a podium.:cool:;):D

Oh and UKmatt, good read. You weren't the only one suffering in that Sat arvo heat, it certainly knocked the wind outta my sails. It's also assuring to hear everyone's opinion on the brutality level of the course, it makes me feel more normal and less soft.

Last edited:

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Jean, give us all the goss, who are you talking about?

Enquiring minds want to know. I've been wracking my brain for hours and becoming curiouser and curiouser ... and I can't work it out.

Warren.

PS, Jean, did I upset you Mate by posting on your 'Mountain Biking is Fun', thread and steal your thunder about your illness ... by showing how much fun mountain biking actually is? Please put it down to my youthful enthusiasm. I can remember when I was 'overly-precious' when I was your age. Is this relevant?
I have no doubt that it would take you hours, but maybe you have not much else to do.This is a thread where people are celebrating some fine achievements, what are you doing?:cool: