2011 an Otway Odyssey

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Did the 2009 Kona 24hr mud fest on race kings and they were fine(ish) - there was a worn patch and I managed to get grip for most of it... so I was figuring on just ignoring the weather and run what's on it at the moment (RR rear and a race king front) mainly cause i find changing tubeless tyres a pain in the butt But been following the thread with interest about tyre choices and decided to bite the bullet and change over today.

Going to run a mountain king 2.2(although it's more like a 2.0!) front and a racing ralph 2.25 out back. The mks are fairly open but with deep knobs and lots of side bite but still roll fairly well.

I figure that should work in just about anything and it doesn't then I was probably going to be stuffed no matter what I ran!

btothec

Likes Dirt
not good!!! Hope you make a full recovery, make sure you are thoroughly checked out before you decide to ride, if not, don't risk it. I did a similar thing in the Jeep 24 hr, normally you can ride them out, but it floored me!
Was given the all clear by the doctor that treated me yesterday. He said I won't be 100% and I'll probably still be on the sore side but nothing is injured in away that racing could make it any worse.

Felt better than I thought I would this morning but by the afternoon I was feeling a bit average so slept for most of it. Will see how things improve over the next few days and make my decision Saturday morning.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be running 2.2 conti x-kings, racesport setup as tubeless. They have shallow knobs that are spaced well. Very narrow for a 2.2 which might be a good thing if it's muddy. If it's a complete bog we're stuffed anyway:)

I remember the good old Maxxis medusa. Now that tyre could cope with mud. Wouldn't want to ride 100km with it though.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In case the inevitable happens, and wet weather contingency "A" gets put in place, what's Wild Dog Road like in terms of climbing/descending?

stevo78

Likes Dirt
There's a big front hitting Adelaide this morning that could head towards the otways. I think there maybe more course changes to come. Ignitor on the back for me I think!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forecast has changed to 90% chance of 10-20mm of rain today, and 80% chance of 1-5mm for race day.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any opinions on running Nobby Nic front and rear?
Terrible choice, but if you want to sell them I'll take them off your hands and show you what a bad choice they were...

I'm going 1 NN, 1 RoRo, only because I've only got one NN !

Thanks for the heads up Jess. This race just seems to find a way to pound the shit out of you every year. Typical John Jacoby special with the rain. Yipppeee. NOT. All the best to everyone tomorrow. Stay safe.

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Mmm looks like heavy rain is predicted from 9pm tonight through till 6am tomorrow ... bonus.

Crossmarks plan is out the window and I'm going for something more sensible.

Looks like it will be a long long day tomorrow :)

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watch out for the flying pig shit.:rolleyes:
Towards the top of Wild Dog rd there's a shack that has a big pig out the back and all I can hear is duelling banjos and the phrase "squeal like a pig"... where's the huntin' bow fit on the bike for when you need it?

akashra

Eats Squid
Even though I'm not attending, I was looking for a start list and ended up reading the race program. I noticed that the 100km course is marked with red or orange arrows, and the 50km course is marked with green arrows. Probably a good thing I'm not doing this event - I'd be stuffed trying to figure out which way to go, unless it's a very obvious 'red' or 'green' :p

iRideApollobay

Likes Dirt
Sunday ride after the Odyssey!! Apollo Bay iRide Mountain Biking

Hey folks,

After all the hard work riding uphill on Saturday, come and enjoy a variety of amazing singletrack in Apollo Bay that starts in the rainforest and ends at the ocean. Shuttles to the top all day for only $50. This Sunday from 10am. Call or sms on 0419007586

Mike

adaib

Likes Dirt
I suppose i'd better start training for otway about now... haha
I'm still running the trusty crossmark. It's gonna be awesome