2011 Sunshine Series Discussion and Information

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Wow things are a bit quite here for a change. Anyone do any ridin on the weekend or get up to any other shenanigens. How's the new rig Lachy? Given her a floggin yet?

Simsoi

Likes Bikes
Any dig days for Kenilworth coming up?

Anyone know if these are going to be Gravity club exclusive? I'm in Gold Coast club but want to help out.

stevenw

Pro Rider
Any dig days for Kenilworth coming up?

Anyone know if these are going to be Gravity club exclusive? I'm in Gold Coast club but want to help out.
Yeah same here... Rhys is from the Gold Coast club, but we'll starting up a business at Woodford as of next week, so Rhys is available to help out as well.

tumble

Likes Dirt
Looks like they did one yesterday. By the looks of it they were taking anyone which is good.

http://www.gravitymtb.org/

Hopefully here about the next one in time...
Yes & it was tough going. All club members should have been emailed.
The whole track was dead set engolfed in dense weeds & is badly eroded in parts. We cleared about 1/3rd of it if that but there may be some redirection needed due to the amount of water still seeping out of the mountain just before the bottom stepdowns.
Many hands are needed at the next one so join the new "Gravitymountain Bikeclub" facebook page & it'll get posted up there.

edit:
Gravity MTB club said:
The next working bee will be Saturday and Sunday the 9th and 10th of April. This will be another no bike clean up day, but if everything gets done we will hold the first official ride day !!

Last edited:

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Guys definitely spread the word next time. I know there were half a dozen within my circle of mates who are/were keen as to dig.

I'd say we're all in for the next one too.

I have plenty of tools, power and manual. Is there a person i can call in regards to the next one?

tumble

Likes Dirt
Guys definitely spread the word next time. I know there were half a dozen within my circle of mates who are/were keen as to dig.

I'd say we're all in for the next one too.

I have plenty of tools, power and manual. Is there a person i can call in regards to the next one?
As posted above, the next one is on all next weekend.
The most needed equipment is definately powerful "steel bladed" brushcutters, machettes, basically anything that can clear lantana, wild tobacco plants, other small weeds & grass. Only when all this gets removed can we actually start shaping the trail itself, fixing erosion, etc.
For more info call Jezza at Venture Cycles or post up on the Facebook page.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
so what time does it start and finish on sunday?

like i know its all well and good to go build and help there but is there any benifit?...... like if we help build do we get to ride there for free on like an open day?

d_j1

Likes Dirt
so what time does it start and finish on sunday?

like i know its all well and good to go build and help there but is there any benifit?...... like if we help build do we get to ride there for free on like an open day?
How about
1) Helping out volunteers get a rad track sorted
2) Doing something to help a whole bunch of other people benefit
3) Doing something just 'cause we're all mountain bikers and we love this shit

Probably best if you just go and build your own tracks if you're in it for your on benefit.
Not a personal attack, just saying

needaride

Likes Dirt
How about

Probably best if you just go and build your own tracks if you're in it for your on benefit.

+1....................

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
How about

ok now see it from my perspective
1) i have done my part before ..... aka rocked up to illanbah to try and get the track sorted for nats. we spent the whole morning building (mind you we were the only ones who rocked up) and then we did self shuttles for the rest of the day

2) me helping will benefit people who dont even rock up to help. meaning the dont build, dont help and they will get the same as someone who has put time and effort into the track.... and if thats the case then why rock up at all? im sure i would rather be riding

for me to come and help is going to be like a 4hour round trip, something i would be keen on doing if they put something on for the people who helped
like a day of private shuttles....
im sure if something like this was said you would have alot more people rock up and help
it wouldnt cost anything to run a day like this and would be like a thankyou to all the people who put in the hard yards

J

JaRedy

...and if thats the case then why rock up at all? im sure i would rather be riding.
That is a valid point and I understand why you might say that.

But...!

In all honesty though, if you build, don't you build because you want to? You volunteer your time yet you're making it sound like a chore.

Personally I find building fun! It is a means to creating tracks, which you ride, which also means copious amounts of fun. You also get the satisfaction of knowing that the enjoyment others are getting from a track is as a partial result of your personal effort. Secondly you get the "I made this" feeling. It's like being an engineer/planner looking at a beautiful bridge and thinking "I was a part of this, that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside". If people don't build but still ride the track, well that's just something you deal with. Not everybody can contribute to the construction of tracks. These days, not only cant I build, I cant even attend the races! Let alone ride more than once or twice a month. I know if I had no work or uni or church commitments I would be planning and building like Chinese politician.

Your last point is also a good one. I was under the impression lunch was provided on the build days?

Last edited by a moderator: