2011 Sunshine Series Discussion and Information

Deadman

Likes Dirt
Without people power tracks won't be fixed

Repairing and building tracks is hard work to do properly. Digging cubic metres of dirt, moving cubic metres of dirt and lifting rocks, logs etc. overseen by someone that can do the critical design to features and drainage.

Take the Toowoomba track for example - does anyone know how many build days the track requires to get it pumping again? I'd reckon it copped it big time. It might take 10 hard workers about 4 work days to fix or 20 hard workers 2 days..........or more likely 5 hard workers 8 work days. Not everyone can work every weekend so the latter scenario would be over a period of at least 8-weeks. There are probably locals working on it now, selflessly chipping away!

Guys, DH in SEQ requires more people to put in, it's as simple as that. Get out there and put your back into it! Then at some point in the future enjoy riding on the work that you and others have done.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
Repairing and building tracks is hard work to do properly. Digging cubic metres of dirt, moving cubic metres of dirt and lifting rocks, logs etc. overseen by someone that can do the critical design to features and drainage.

Take the Toowoomba track for example - does anyone know how many build days the track requires to get it pumping again? I'd reckon it copped it big time. It might take 10 hard workers about 4 work days to fix or 20 hard workers 2 days..........or more likely 5 hard workers 8 work days. Not everyone can work every weekend so the latter scenario would be over a period of at least 8-weeks. There are probably locals working on it now, selflessly chipping away!

Guys, DH in SEQ requires more people to put in, it's as simple as that. Get out there and put your back into it! Then at some point in the future enjoy riding on the work that you and others have done.
I am fairly sure that Tbar is out of action because the road getting to it is gorn.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what i hear the road has been fixed... i agree that in order to keep downhill in Queensland running there needs to be more effort put in, toowoomba has the only fully legal downhill track in Queensland its beyond me why more people haven't started to get it going again already.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what i hear the road has been fixed... i agree that in order to keep downhill in Queensland running there needs to be more effort put in, toowoomba has the only fully legal downhill track in Queensland its beyond me why more people haven't started to get it going again already.
Because the majority of people live 2 hours away in Brisbane and simply have no time to help out.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When is the next build day? If I have more than two weeks notice I'll try and get out there somehow to lend a hand (need to take work off).

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
road is fixed, and there are plenty of build days planned, keep an eye in the TMBC section if you want to help. there has already been one, (which i missed because of prior commiment) but there are plenty to come.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about Townsville and Cairns?

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just felt like being a smart arse, also I walked Kuranda last week. Apparently it is being handed over VERY soon to public use officially.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Just felt like being a smart arse, also I walked Kuranda last week. Apparently it is being handed over VERY soon to public use officially.
And that has only taken 20+ years to happen.

I rode the RRR course last week, reminds me of what real mtbing is all about.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
Looking at the history of race cancellations / postponements over the last few years, is there an argument to review the timing of the season? Traditionally it has started in May but as we return to the more tradional wet season we have rain later into Autum and more rain through summer that will affect what track work can be carried out after summer rain.

Are we better off with a season running from June - Oct? This would mean that we have more chance of avoiding rain and more time to prepare tracks etc and for clubs to get up and running with committees and volunteers after the xmas shut down. By taking some pressure off clubs to be ready early in the year may entice some other clubs to come back into the hosting game.

Just wonderin.......

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you get to check out Waddleblah and Robsons? Ho Chi Minh is still running?
Due to my broken thumb and shoulder I didnt get to take a bike. Was painful enough just checking out Kuranda. Highlight was visiting Vince at Edge, ha.

ollieo

Likes Dirt
seasons

Been on the sunshine coast for 34 yrs and there is no such thing as a weather pattern up here..we can have 5 years with dry as a chip winters / empty tanks / perfect ...then wet winters for a couple of years..etc.etc...you are never going to pre guess the weather .... Our problem here on the coast is all weather access to the top of our tracks...Illinbah has it /beery has it but thats about it...
If the govt played ball and we had better access to state land we would probably have a better chance of all weather tracks to race..
This is the most prolonged wet spell I can remember...lets hope it stops soon..

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been on the sunshine coast for 34 yrs and there is no such thing as a weather pattern up here..we can have 5 years with dry as a chip winters / empty tanks / perfect ...then wet winters for a couple of years..etc.etc...you are never going to pre guess the weather .... Our problem here on the coast is all weather access to the top of our tracks...Illinbah has it /beery has it but thats about it...
If the govt played ball and we had better access to state land we would probably have a better chance of all weather tracks to race..
This is the most prolonged wet spell I can remember...lets hope it stops soon..
Same ollieo. My dad has been in Cooroy since 1970 and he says this wet spell is longer than '74. Sunny coast has been my home since 1981 as well, so I can vouch that this is also more prolonged than '91 wet. So although pushing the season back a little is a legitimate good idea and a possiblity, this wet is unprecedented. Now we are heading out of the La Nina pattern, so although this next few months may still be wet - next year should be a bit drier.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
+1 to Stinky's thoughts.

Hey Stinky are you organising Gravitate next year too?
Breaky with Jacobs in the morning. Want to make sure that the "vibe of the thing" is there before the event machine comes in.

My concern with Gravitate is that there is almost two generations of riders that dont know the original story of where we have come from.

Back on topic. I have to say that I can not complain with the start of the season for selfish purposes. I am working the first 3 rounds so some rescheduling could get me back in the game...