total for 2012
25.4mm 10 day(s)

total to this day 2011
159.4mm 11 day(s)

Colac:
total for 2012 26.8mm 9 day(s)

total to this day 2011
151.0mm 13 day(s)

conclusion ... dust & heat & horrible cramps.
Corrected your post mtb! :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah ok well the Schultz shots seem to work ok.

btw, water, how much will you carry up to the first water point - think its 38k mark.
2 lt on the back and .6 bidon. I'm hoping that will be enough. I'll change over the bladder for a smaller one at the 67km mark.

Otway Recon

Anyone keen on a recon ride this Saturday?

I'll be leaving from the brewery to ride the single track at 10am. Will probs do 2 hours then lunch then 2 more hours.

tweet me if convenient @MrDanielStrauss

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's pretty! BLinG!!! Bet it doesn't stay that clean for long.

A couple of shorter rides this week and a bike overhaul and I'm done.
Shit ride today. Turned for home after doing just half of what I wanted to. Maybe it's something to do with 2.5hrs sleep in the last 33hrs? We'll try again tomorrow.

Interesting observation about the new cranks. I though the Bushnell EBB was creaking like there was no tomorrow, well there was a hell of a lot of noise coming from down there. Turns out the creaking was all the fault of the SLX cranks and chainring. This set is deathly silent. Good for sneaking up on unsuspecting gearies.:surprise:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Anyone keen on a recon ride this Saturday?

I'll be leaving from the brewery to ride the single track at 10am. Will probs do 2 hours then lunch then 2 more hours.

tweet me if convenient @MrDanielStrauss
If you can get there at 9.00am we have some club members leading reccy rides out to sections of the course

Brewery open early for breakfast as well

Roland

fergo

Likes Dirt
If anyone is looking for accomodation in Forrest for the friday and/or saturday nights, I have space at the Forrest Church Retreat. It is located in the town and probably the closest commercial accommodation to the Football ground - Race Central. The shuttle to Apollo Bay leaves Sat at 5:15am from the Brewery and when you finished, there is no waiting for hours for the return trip to AB to get your car.

If you're interested, send me a PM. The venue has 3 double beds and 4 bunks with 2 fold out matresses and 2 large couches. Ideal for families. My rule is if you bring the family, kids under 12 are free and can sleep on the floor.

If you have a few mates, you can take the whole booking off my hands and I'll transfer it over to you. All my mates left it too late to enter the OO or found other accom thinking the church was full. I'd be very grateful if you guys can help me out.

Cost is $50 per adult/teen per night.

Cheers,
Ferg
Accommodation offer no longer available as it has been cancelled and rebooked.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's your OO set-up?

Now that the wait is almost over it might be helpful to state what your choices will be in terms of bike, hydration, nutrition etc.

I'll start:

Bike: I did all my training on a HT 29er but will most likely ride a 26" dually. 5 hours into the event it will be easier to just pedal over things. I enjoy the fun of a 26" in the Yaugher super-loop. This might change subject to author's whim...
Tires: Racing Ralph 2.1 rear, Racing Ralph 2.25 front.
Hydration: Endura, 2lt on the back-pack & a .6lt bidon.
Nutrition: Torq bars & Gu gels. Aiming to consume about 90gm of CHO per hour.
Forrest 67km & 93km: Will have an esky loaded with some sunscreen, lube, and real food i.e. vegemite sandwich etc.

Strategy:
  • Ignore the kamikazes in the first 20km and ride within myself.
  • Have the heart-rate alarm set on the Garmin.
  • Eat and drink constantly.
  • Try not to curse the Rapid Ascent team too much when on the Sledgehammer.
  • Finish strong.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am riding a 26 dually 2x9 (which got riden 1st time in 8 months last week....).

If it still looks dry rocket rons 2.1 set up tubeless (i hope). I changed the tires last night that have been on since the 2010 world 24
and was amazed they still had liquid stans inside (i may have topped up back in June??).

Bottle on bike + 1.5l camelbak, gels/ bars and a restock at 67km and sandwiches etc.

Due to general lack of training my aim is to finish and have fun.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Bike: 29HT
Tires: Racing Ralph 2.25 front & rear
Hydration: 2 x.6lt bidons Torq, will reassess if the weather is above 30deg
Nutrition: Gels mostly, 1 every 45mins on average & 1 bar
Forrest 67km & 93km: Lube & rag on standby for dust wipedown, and a cold bidon of coke for the last segment

Strategy:

• Ride like a kamikaze in the first 20km :single_eye:, regretted dropping off last year and getting stuck by myself on the road section
  • Have a good crack down Red Carpet
  • Dont let Phil Anderson pass me walking up Sledgehammer again
  • Keep up a good pace on that dreaded sand climb at the end

Looking forward to it

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Bike: 29HT
Tires: Racing Ralph 2.25 front & rear
Hydration: 2 x.6lt bidons Torq, will reassess if the weather is above 30deg
I hope those bottle cages are on securely and the bidons are not going to fall out of them just like they did during a particular wildside stage ;-)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes some good strategies jathanas. Interesting you say a 26er is easier to pedal over things, I find the larger wheels better if I get tired.

Bike: Giant HT 29er - this bike is fast through the single track and I like the pedal response when climbing from the HT.

Tyres: Racing Ralphs Snakeskin 29. Tubeless, (watch out for thorns through private property sections).
Hydration: water, 2lt on the back-pack & endura.6lt bidon (about 2 litres worth of endura that I top up).
Nutrition: Cadel Bars & Endura mini bottle gel. Aiming to consume about 100gm of CHO per hour.

Forrest 67km & 93km: Will have something loaded with food, cool drinks and a few beers in case event goes to crap and we just want to ride it out.

Strategy: well its all about times aren't it ... vs endurance and the ability to maintain pace for 100k.

So looking at previous rider splits for 6-7 Hrs, the first climb (KOM) needs to be done under 34 minutes, so just going to enjoy the views, hope to go through around 32.

• KOM to Red Carpet under 2:30 (critical section - where time/energy can be lost) note to self: walking can be just as quick as riding on uber steep terrain - conserve energy and keep going.
  • Descent sub-17 will do - yeah yeah can crack a good time on this but there's the bigger picture stuff, so will just flow.
  • now here's where it begins for me, r/carpet to Forrest sub 1:10 - there's a pumping fast gravel track along this section, got to work here.
  • don't hang around at Oval, fill up, wave to fans and go baby.
  • 20k loop sub 1:30,
  • final loop sub 1:10.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

• Ride like a kamikaze in the first 20km :single_eye:, regretted dropping off last year and getting stuck by myself on the road section
  • Have a good crack down Red Carpet
    [*] Dont let Phil Anderson pass me walking up Sledgehammer again
  • Keep up a good pace on that dreaded sand climb at the end

Looking forward to it
Gold! If I see Phil I stop, salute, and then request permission to breathe the same air. :)

As for the kamikaze first 20km, I'm not letting myself stay over my threshold HR. Ideally my highest sustainable HR lets me go fast enough that there'll be a group for me to ride with on the road.

yes some good strategies jathanas. Interesting you say a 26er is easier to pedal over things, I find the larger wheels better if I get tired.

To clarify, not the 26er over the 29er, the dually over the HT. I do reserve the right to revert to my original strategy: 29HT. :)

Last edited:

cooken

Likes Dirt
Bike: 26" dually, unless it looks like it's going to be as muddy as last year, in which case 29" SS
Tyres: Geax Saguaro 2.2" front, 2" rear
Hydration: 1.5lt on back 0.6lt bidon
Nutrition: double dose of endura optimizer in bidon, 4 gu's and 2 bars
Forrest 67km & 93km: probably nothing
Strategy: ummmm... try keep the hr under 170bpm in the first few hours

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Gold! If I see Phil I stop, salute, and then request permission to breathe the same air. :)

As for the kamikaze first 20km, I'm not letting myself stay over my threshold HR. Ideally my highest sustainable HR lets me go fast enough that there'll be a group for me to ride with on the road.

To clarify, not the 26er over the 29er, the dually over the HT. I do reserve the right to revert to my original strategy: 29HT. :)
Try this if you have a day spare

http://www.facebook.com/events/223454554415831/