VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

Otway

Bike: S Works Epic 29er SRAM XX
Tyres: Racing Ralph Tubeless
Hydration: 2 x Bidons till 50k, 2 More at 67k, 2 More at 87 (1 with TORQ Energy and 1 with Gastrolyte)
Nutrition: 1 gel and 1 25g CHO food item per hour
Strategy: Have a good day and see where it puts me!

xxxo Straussy :pirate:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike: 2009 Salsa El Mariachi 29er SS, 32:17 gearing, maybe 32:16 if it's cool. Ralph 2.25s on Crests tubeless. White Bros rigid carbon fork.
Nutrition: Powerbar Ride bars x 3, gel flask with Endura gel, Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes to stop cramping, Endurolytes fizz in 3L Camelback, Creamed rice and a bottle of Coke/Red Bull mix and also an extra gel or two at the oval for the last section.
Strategy: Can't remember splits, but will start as strong as I can manage. Hopefully the taller gearing this year will mean I won't drop back at the start as much as in previous years. I listen to my body intently, and know how to pace myself depending on my particular physical conditioning at the time. I plan to take advantage of the climbs where possible and will try to beat my 14:43 on Red Carpet last year. The bike's a fair bit lighter this year, which hopefully means a stronger last section.
Goal time: Hoping for just over 6:20 if it's below 25 degrees, maybe 6:35 if it's a scorcher. That's if I can keep the cramps at bay. Training hasn't been what I'd hoped for.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Bike: Carbon rigid 29er HT single speed 33:19
Tyres: Nobby Nic 2.25 on front & Maxxis Aspen 2.1 on rear Tubeless
Hydration: 2 x Bidons till 50k, 2 More at 67k, 2 More at 87 all mixed with Endura. May look at 1.5 lt camelbak if it's hot.
Nutrition: As many gels and bars I can stomach. Real food at transition.
Strategy: First attempt at this on a single speed, so all I want is to finish!!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Gold! If I see Phil I stop, salute, and then request permission to breathe the same air. :)
Last year I was pretty happy with myself as I went barrelling past him on Marriners, I could see him gaining on me all the way up britneys meltdown etc and was trying to hold him off, kept him a few hunderd metres back up to the moto tracks, then I got about 50m up sledgehammer and the legs locked (cramped up!) up and I had to jump off to walk, a few seconds later all I see is Phil Anderson cruising past me up the hill. I tried as hard as I could to catch him on that road descent back to the oval but he beat me by a few seconds

I didnt see him on the entry list this year though, although I would imagine he should qualify for entry just by turning up :)

peej

Squid
50km entry

Ive done the 50k shorty for the last few years, and this year was concentrating more on the Alpine Classic 130k, which I happily completed. Anyways the lure of an event in Forrest was just too great once again, as I heard that they had released some more entries for the 50k event.

Although when I goto register on the site it says that the 50k is full and you will have to go on the waiting list. Just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this is the case ???

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Bike
26" HT
Tyres
Still debating, do I go crossmark 2.1 front & back / crossmark 2.1 back & ignitor 2.1 front / ignitors 2.1 front & back? (all will be tubeless set-up) I have never ridden in the area before. Going by the thread it seems RR are the way to go.
Hydration
1.5l water on the back, 600ml coke in bike bottle (my experiments with energy drinks have led to this)
Nutrition
2 x bananas, snake lollies, a couple of cadel bars, 4-6 gels.
Forrest
Having never done this race is there a designated / transition area I can set out food/drinks to re-stock at around the 67km & 90km marks?
Strategy
Push hard to the finish line, enjoy the pain!

fergo

Likes Dirt
Noonday Track Descent

Hopefully Roland or other locals can answer this. I'm doing my first 100 after 4 years of 50's. I did the 08 and 09 Otway Shorty when they started in Apollo Bay as well.

After the Barwon Track Ascent, we go down the Noonday Track. In the past (08 & 09) , this descent was very deeply rutted and very steep with the only rideable line on the far right near the tree. Is this still the case? If not, where is the rideable line now? I know it was graded for last years OO, but the rain turned it into a bog. I had to walk it in 08 due to the rain and in a few practice rides I walked it and finally rode it in 09. I'm hoping to ride it again.

Thanks in advance, Ferg

fergo

Likes Dirt
Ive done the 50k shorty for the last few years, and this year was concentrating more on the Alpine Classic 130k, which I happily completed. Anyways the lure of an event in Forrest was just too great once again, as I heard that they had released some more entries for the 50k event.

Although when I goto register on the site it says that the 50k is full and you will have to go on the waiting list. Just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this is the case ???
Do the 100 instead. If you can ride the 33km up to Falls and then Tawonga Gap in 35°C heat, the 100 will be easy!

(I've done the same as you - last 4 OO 50km and the AAC130 this year)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike
26" HT
Tyres
Still debating, do I go crossmark 2.1 front & back / crossmark 2.1 back & ignitor 2.1 front / ignitors 2.1 front & back? (all will be tubeless set-up) I have never ridden in the area before. Going by the thread it seems RR are the way to go.
Hydration
1.5l water on the back, 600ml coke in bike bottle (my experiments with energy drinks have led to this)
Nutrition
2 x bananas, snake lollies, a couple of cadel bars, 4-6 gels.
Forrest
Having never done this race is there a designated / transition area I can set out food/drinks to re-stock at around the 67km & 90km marks?

Strategy
Push hard to the finish line, enjoy the pain!
Yes, the Forrest footy ground. Checkout the 100km race map on the Rapid Ascent site.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Art,

I have done the OO the last 3 years in a HT - but my back can't take the punishment anymore. Your tyre choices are fine in normal dry even damp conditions but not wet. I reckon the racing ralphs are a tad better so I will be wearing a set of those on my Jamis Dakar XCR Team.

Interesting your choice of coke. I am planning to having some intake of coke myself at 67km and 87km where the transition area is. I am still unsure what to mix in my water as I can not stomach ENDURA. What do people find works for them?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, the Forrest footy ground. Checkout the 100km race map on the Rapid Ascent site.
think he's more asking about tables etc, or procedures for leaving an esky in transition. noticed many clubs have marques/tables, don't recall seeing a designated area under cover/tables for individuals. but not certain.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
think he's more asking about tables etc, or procedures for leaving an esky in transition. noticed many clubs have marques/tables, don't recall seeing a designated area under cover/tables for individuals. but not certain.
Last year I just dropped my Esky in the transition area, and made sure my name was clearly visible on it. Many others did the same...

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Art,

I have done the OO the last 3 years in a HT - but my back can't take the punishment anymore. Your tyre choices are fine in normal dry even damp conditions but not wet. I reckon the racing ralphs are a tad better so I will be wearing a set of those on my Jamis Dakar XCR Team.

Interesting your choice of coke. I am planning to having some intake of coke myself at 67km and 87km where the transition area is. I am still unsure what to mix in my water as I can not stomach ENDURA. What do people find works for them?
Kv, a HT can be brutal on the lower back after 6 hours. In my training I found that my back holds up well for anything les than 5 hours. Having to stand up to pedal over bumps after that point takes its toll. I'm convinced that overall it's still faster.

I use Endura, but prior to that used the Hammer product without any issues. Try it. I'd only use Coke as a pick-up in the last hour.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
at the water stops you get Electrolyte Tablet's Shotz as an option, they are pretty good. think any drink takes a while to get used to (endura etc), nothing will help if you are constantly riding in the red zone - which this event can easily suck you in to doing.

coke is high in sugar like Gatorade and others, not recommended for endurance hydration. then again for last 13k it could be a goer, if not a quick mental boost.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Kv, a HT can be brutal on the lower back after 6 hours. In my training I found that my back holds up well for anything les than 5 hours. Having to stand up to pedal over bumps after that point takes its toll. I'm convinced that overall it's still faster.

I use Endura, but prior to that used the Hammer product without any issues. Try it. I'd only use Coke as a pick-up in the last hour.
Thanks J! Yeah HT is tough. Can't imagine guys in HT SS Rigid - MAD!!! Going to a dually I can see has its advantages but conversely carries more weight - I admit I am a bit weight conscious. So we'lll see how it goes. To relieve the added weight on my back I have ditched the Camelbak. I start with 2 bidons which should last to 50km where I refill one to the 67km mark. At the footy ground pickup another one with some food and then the same at 87km ( maybe 2 bottles). That last 13kms is tough - the Britneys Meltdown seems endless so may need more hydration. I want to really conquer this climb and finish strong.

I don't know how you guys in the sub 6 and 7hr mark do it. Hope its all natural :)
I am using this as extra incentive to go faster!

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Thanks for the advice guys.....Yeah I was hoping I could put a small esky out with food/drinks.

My main fluid intake is water (camelbak), with flat coke in the bottle holder. I don't drink a lot of the coke, one bottle has been getting me through my 100km + rides on the mtb. I just don't like gatorade/powerade plus it doesn't really sit well in my stomach. I find this works well for me with fluid intake. However I do need to eat, Gels won't see me through to the finish.

With regards to doing the ride on a 26" HT. I have only ever ridden a HT. After my long rides and XC races (3-4 hour enduro's) the back isn't to bad. I like to think my bike is set up well.

Anyway good luck to all and enjoy the ride!!!! The pain at about the 90 - 95km mark is always better than a day at work

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
There is a bottle drop at the football ground from Apollo bay, I believe these were just in the middle of the transition area so they were accessible at both the 67k point and 87k point. But they will only take a bag, dont think they will take an esky

From the rider breifing
Hydration and nutrition transport from Apollo Bay to Forrest
For 100km riders:
We will to transport your pre-prepared race food and drinks from Apollo Bay to two different locations along the 100km
course for you to pick up as you race through. These two locations will be:
• At the 50km point at the West Barwon Resevoir dam wall water point (This is NEW SERVICE for 2012)
• At the Forrest Football ground at the 67km and 87km points.
Drinks and food for transport to these locations must have your race number clearly written on the top for easy identification,
and must then be in a single bag (that is separate from clothing bag) and must be placed in the trailer next to
the Apollo Bay SLSC building on the foreshore between 5:30am and 6:30am on Saturday morning.
We will transfer food / drinks to each location and will lay them out in consecutive number order next to the race track.
It is your responsibility to find your bag / bottles.
The other option is to leave it there after registering on Friday night (unless you have someone who can set it up for you while you are starting from Apollo Bay which is even better

Last year I left mine under a friends marquee the night before, except by the time I got there, people where everywhere and my stuff had been moved/covered up, and I lost a few minutes trying to find my stuff, not good

This year I think I will use the central transition area, which is easier to see everything

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a bottle drop at the football ground from Apollo bay, I believe these were just in the middle of the transition area so they were accessible at both the 67k point and 87k point. But they will only take a bag, dont think they will take an esky

From the rider breifing

The other option is to leave it there after registering on Friday night (unless you have someone who can set it up for you while you are starting from Apollo Bay which is even better

Last year I left mine under a friends marquee the night before, except by the time I got there, people where everywhere and my stuff had been moved/covered up, and I lost a few minutes trying to find my stuff, not good

This year I think I will use the central transition area, which is easier to see everything
Good stuff B!

Last year I left an esky at the oval overnight. I'll let the Rapid Ascent crew transport my freezer bag to the transition area from Apollo Bay this year.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Strategy: First attempt at this on a single speed, so all I want is to finish!!
Nath8, you'll smash it on that bike mate. You will surprise yourself how easy the 100km is on a rigid single speed. Your ratio looks good to me too.