Calories: 8,693 C
No of Rides: 4
Longest Ride: 3:12:30 | 90.13km | 921m Elevation
Strength/Core Sessions: 2 Kettlebell Sessions
Current Weight: 78kg
Cross Training: N/A
OO 100km Goal Sub 6:30 Finish

Comments:
2 group rides this week. The Tour de Burbs (total hammerfest) and the Humevale ride (Longest Ride). This was the first week of this sort of intensity and I'm feeling it. Learning to ride in a group again is keeping me on edge.

I'll be taking it easy this week to recover a bit for the Forrest MTB Festival.

Last edited:

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Week Ending 20/11/2011

Time: 8:35:48 h:m:s
Distance: 213.30 km
Elevation Gain: 2,988 m
Calories: 8,693 C
That is some high intensity training rides, 8693 cal over that timeframe is a lot!

Week Ending 20/11/2011

Time: 8:08:17 h:m:s
Distance: 176.71 km
Elevation Gain: 1,979 m
Calories: 4,451 C
No of Rides: 6 (All road except 1.5hr MTB ride & Dirt Crits)
Longest Ride: 3:21:25 | 87.91km | 1242m Elevation
Strength/Core Sessions: zero
Current Weight: 70kg
Cross Training: 1x spin session(45mins) & 1double session which included a 10min best ave of 340watts & 5sec best ave of 1176watts (ok not really cross training :p

Comments:
Planned on doing 5+hours on Sunday but got to Olinda and the weather looked like turning bad with clouds rolling in and strong winds whipping up so cut it off early at 3:21, Spin classes seem to be paying off with big improvements in my 10min average, which helped at dirt crits on Thursday. Forrest Festival next weekend so probably only 3 rides next week during the week

Last edited:

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work Jathanas. Which Tour de Burbs bunch do you do? I'm fairly regular with the 6.45 Thursday bunch. A couple of hard hours after work before it and the climbs REALLY sting, great practice hurting with fatigue in the legs for that last 13km loop of climbing hell at the Odyssey.

Week Ending: 20/11/2011
Total Road Kms: 400
Total Road Hours: 14
No of Road Rides: 4
Total Off-Road Kms: 75
Total Off-Road Hours: 3
No of Off-Road Rides: 1
Total TSS: - 991 (unable to keep track of altitude so I'll give TSS for those familiar)

That's my second week back training in a 10 week plan to National Champs (road) so mostly on the road bike. Just one mtb day to keep me sane :)

Maybe we should all state our goal for the Odyssey before our list of weekly km's so that everyone can compare with people with similar goals. I'd love to crack the 5hour barrier - 5:01 last year from memory. It was only 90km last year with the wet weather short cuts though. So I'll say sub 5:15 for a dry full length 100km.

Here's a PHP template.
PHP:
[B]Week Ending:[/B]
[B]Distance Entered:[/B]
[B]Finish Time Goal (dry weather):[/B]

[B]Total Road Kms:[/B]
[B]Total Road Hours:[/B]
[B]Total Road Elevation:[/B]
[B]No of Road Rides:[/B]

[B]Total Off-Road Kms:[/B]
[B]Total Off-Road Hours:[/B]
[B]Total Off-Road Elevation:[/B]
[B]No of Off-Road Rides:[/B]

[B]Strength/Core Sessions:[/B]
[B]Cross Training:[/B]
[B]Comments:[/B]
[B]Current Weight:[/B]
[B]TSS for week:[/B]

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is some high intensity training rides, 8693 cal over that timeframe is a lot!

Thanks mate it was a very intense week, I smashed myself. I rode more the week before and burnt less calories. :) I'll see you at Forrest.

Nice work Jathanas. Which Tour de Burbs bunch do you do? I'm fairly regular with the 6.45 Thursday bunch. ...

That's my second week back training in a 10 week plan to National Champs (road) so mostly on the road bike. Just one mtb day to keep me sane :)

Maybe we should all state our goal for the Odyssey before our list of weekly km's so that everyone can compare with people with similar goals. I'd love to crack the 5hour barrier - 5:01 last year from memory. It was only 90km last year with the wet weather short cuts though. So I'll say sub 5:15 for a dry full length 100km.
Thanks Grover, I rode with the 6:45 bunch on Thursday. First time out and the group spat me out at High Street. :) I'll do better in 2 weeks time by starting mid-pack so the damn traffic lights don't set me back too much.

Best of luck with the National Champs mate. You smashed it last year at the OO. No reason to aim for any less.

I reckon it's a great idea to state your goal for the OO, my post will be edited to include this.

singleminded

Likes Bikes
2011 time was 6:49:27

2010 time was 6:58:54

For 2012 I think a 6:30 would be an achievable and great result for myself.
Any faster and I'll be estatic, any slower and I'll have a bag load of excuses ready!!

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
2011 time was 6:49:27

2010 time was 6:58:54

For 2012 I think a 6:30 would be an achievable and great result for myself.
Any faster and I'll be estatic, any slower and I'll have a bag load of excuses ready!!
We are probably due for a hot one this year, without the mud!

:tape:

Roland

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
updated my post, thanks Grover for template. hey jathanas was reading a while back on james whatever his name is com on Kettlebell Sessions, what do you do? hope you don't get too muscle bound that you can't fit through tree gaps.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
updated my post, thanks Grover for template. hey jathanas was reading a while back on james whatever his name is com on Kettlebell Sessions, what do you do? hope you don't get too muscle bound that you can't fit through tree gaps.
First up, all disclaimers apply, I'm not a health/fitness professional. For the kettlebells I paid for instructional docs from this mob. I do 2 sessions a week which last about 35 minutes, including the warm up. The warm-up routines I use are similar to the ones prescribed by that James Wilson MTB fitness guru guy.

OK, here goes. My kettlebell sessions consist of only 3 exercises:

• Turkish Get-up 3 * Sets of 4 reps each side
  • Windmill 3 * Sets of 6 reps each side
  • Swing 4 * 15-20 reps.

Those exercises give me a full body workout, and keep my rapidly ageing body (lower back mostly) from breaking down from all the riding.

I also do 2 core exercises to failure:
  1. Swiss ball roll-out
  2. Reverse weighted crunches

I do much more weight training during winter, but would struggle to recover from those heavy sessions during the summer months when I ride a lot. I'm a few kgs heavier than I want to be at the moment but I suspect it's more fat than muscle. :)

I hope that helps,

Cheers, J

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First up, all disclaimers apply, I'm not a health/fitness professional. For the kettlebells I paid for instructional docs from this mob. I do 2 sessions a week which last about 35 minutes, including the warm up. The warm-up routines I use are similar to the ones prescribed by that James Wilson MTB fitness guru guy.

OK, here goes. My kettlebell sessions consist of only 3 exercises:

• Turkish Get-up 3 * Sets of 4 reps each side
  • Windmill 3 * Sets of 6 reps each side
  • Swing 4 * 15-20 reps.

Those exercises give me a full body workout, and keep my rapidly ageing body (lower back mostly) from breaking down from all the riding.

I also do 2 core exercises to failure:
  1. Swiss ball roll-out
  2. Reverse weighted crunches

I do much more weight training during winter, but would struggle to recover from those heavy sessions during the summer months when I ride a lot. I'm a few kgs heavier than I want to be at the moment but I suspect it's more fat than muscle. :)

I hope that helps,

Cheers, J
thanks very interesting, watched a few youtube clips, like the idea of free weights etc, am going to have a look at using this for core strength training. appreciate the detailed response.

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Distance Entered: 100km
Finish Time Goal (dry weather): not sure - 1st timer...:pray:

Total Road Kms: 348.83
Total Road Hours: 11:50 h:m:s
Total Road Elevation: 3178m
No of Road Rides: 3

Total Off-Road Kms: 85
Total Off-Road Hours: 4:20 h:m:s
Total Off-Road Elevation: 762m
No of Off-Road Rides: 6

Strength/Core Sessions: 2
Cross Training: 0
Comments: 1st odyssey entry for me :biggrin:
Current Weight: 83.5kg
Calories: 10979 C

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow! That's a high volume training regime.

Good luck in the OO mate!

Finish Time Goal (dry weather): not sure - 1st timer...:pray:

Total Road Kms: 348.83
Total Road Hours: 11:50 h:m:s
Total Road Elevation: 3178m
No of Road Rides: 3

Total Off-Road Kms: 85
Total Off-Road Hours: 4:20 h:m:s
Total Off-Road Elevation: 762m
No of Off-Road Rides: 6

Strength/Core Sessions: 2
Comments: 1st odyssey entry for me :biggrin:
Current Weight: 83.5kg
Calories: 10979 C

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Wow! That's a high volume training regime.

Good luck in the OO mate!
thanks - table below is for the last 30 days from the garmin site where I dump all my data - have nothing to gauge what to expect in Feb apart from people telling me how hard it is so I am putting in the hard yards training so I can finish the 100km....can't wait! :bounce:

Attachments

dowey42

Likes Dirt
Signed up for the 100. nothing like scaring yourself into training. Bring it on!

although looking at the km other peeps are clocking whilst I've done SFA is a little worrying :dread:

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
thanks very interesting, watched a few youtube clips, like the idea of free weights etc, am going to have a look at using this for core strength training. appreciate the detailed response.
Be carefull with learning KB's from the net or just watching a Steve Cotter dvd etc! You need to protect your virgin back from KB's.
There is a massive amount of skill required to swing KB's to really engage your hamstrings, hip flexors and core in terms of x training for mtb. The focus should include long cycle sets to replicate total body fatigue. Do your mother lifts first (1) then core/legs (2).
Try multiple exercises linked together that utilize ballistic exercises with grinding exercises;
eg (15-20 reps for ballistics and 10-15 grinds) try adding "on and on" by progression into what my Russian KB instructor would call "Man Makers"
1. swings > alt swings> cleans > double clean > press > ss double press > snatch > jerk > double jerk (then repeat for 5/7/10 min)
2. tatical lunges > bear walk > racked squats > farmers walks > ATB > Turkish Get Ups > lower windmill > upper windmill > double windmill > 2 hands anyhow (then repeat 5/7/10 min) . . . then curl up in a ball in the hurt locker for less than 60min of lifting?

Keep your KB weight light (12-16kg) depending on your endurance and grip strength.

If your interested in learning im involved with a PT business that teach sport specific KB? Just PM me?

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Be carefull with learning KB's from the net or just watching a Steve Cotter dvd etc! You need to protect your virgin back from KB's.
+1000

Try multiple exercises linked together that utilize ballistic exercises with grinding exercises;
eg (15-20 reps for ballistics and 10-15 grinds) try adding "on and on" by progression into what my Russian KB instructor would call "Man Makers"
1. swings > alt swings> cleans > double clean > press > ss double press > snatch > jerk > double jerk (then repeat for 5/7/10 min)
2. tatical lunges > bear walk > racked squats > farmers walks > ATB > Turkish Get Ups > lower windmill > upper windmill > double windmill > 2 hands anyhow (then repeat 5/7/10 min) . . . then curl up in a ball in the hurt locker for less than 60min of lifting?

Keep your KB weight light (12-16kg) depending on your endurance and grip strength.

Nice progression, but that series/circuit would hurt!

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Yeah it hurts big time but "long cycle lifting" is really the only way that KB's will help endurance xc riding if you already have a reasonable lifting base to begin with? Getting through to the last round(s) of continual lifting is really difficult but the muscles that scream and cramp are the same that tickle during fatigued xc riding (along with others). Love it!

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Week Ending: 27th Nov (I takae my weeks Monday till Sunday)
Distance Entered: 100
Finish Time Goal (dry weather): Top 200, was just under 7 hours last year

Total Road Kms: 102.3
No of Road Rides: 1

Total Off-Road Kms: 33.5kms
Total Off-Road Hours: 2
No of Off-Road Rides: 1

Strength/Core Sessions: 1 + 1 85 min trainer session
Cross Training: Ran home from the pub?
Comments: Bit of a disappointing week for me, I need to stop listening to the BOM forecast that tells me its going to rain everyday. Missed out on 80 or so kms as I was assured that there was going to be torrential thunderstorms, which ended up being a perfect day for a ride. Maybe im just being soft. I have also just finished uni for good so have been drunk alot of the time. Looking for a better one this week, I hope to do at least 300kms every week until Christmas. I also don't have a fancy computer which tells me elevation and the like, but I have a rough idea of what I do. Last year I didn't have any issues with the amount of climbing
Current Weight: 83kgs

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Week Ending 27/11/2011

Week Ending: 27/11/2011
Finish Time Goal (dry weather): 6:30

Total Road Kms: 0
Total Road Hours: 0
Total Road Elevation: 0
No of Road Rides: 0

Total Off-Road Kms: 109.73
Total Off-Road Hours: 6:34
Total Off-Road Elevation: 1992m
No of Off-Road Rides: 4

Strength/Core Sessions: 1
Current Weight: 77
TSS for week: N/A
Comments: The Forrest Festival weekend provided a fantastic MTB workout. The body still feels knackered today, but you're a long time dead. :)