2012 Norco Aurum DH

needaride

Likes Dirt
looks nice, and as has been said it does look like a trek.. but at the risk of coping some criticisim, isnt the shock mounted into the front triangle of the frame? That would make this essentially the same suspension design as the Kona Operator?

driftking

Wheel size expert
the swingarm's look similar but other than that there's barely resemblance to the trek.
+1
The swing arm looks similar.
The top fo the frame curves differently not to mention is appears to be fatter
The rear triangle mounts differently to the rear axel.
The norco frame appears to sweep a little more towards the BB.
Its not very similar at all except how the swingarm/linkage looks. By that logic it could also look like a kona.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
If you showed both of those bikes to a non-cycling entusiast they would no doubt think they were the same. However the entire suspension setup is very different.

One advantage to all the bikes looking the same is that people will only be buying the bikes for their performance :p

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
looks nice, and as has been said it does look like a trek.. but at the risk of coping some criticisim, isnt the shock mounted into the front triangle of the frame? That would make this essentially the same suspension design as the Kona Operator?
The Norco is a Horst Link or FSR suspension design, the rear pivot is seatstay mounted.
The Kona is a linkage activated single pivot, the rear pivot is chainstay mounted.
Hope this helps. :)

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
The Norco is a Horst Link or FSR suspension design, the rear pivot is seatstay mounted.
The Kona is a linkage activated single pivot, the rear pivot is chainstay mounted.
Hope this helps. :)
Pretty sure Kona is also a 4-bar style linkage, not a single pivot. You can clearly see another pivot on the rear triangle, above the rear axle.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure Kona is also a 4-bar style linkage, not a single pivot. You can clearly see another pivot on the rear triangle, above the rear axle.
The placement of the rear axle in relation to the rear wheel determines the whether the suspension is FSR or a single pivot. The Kona Operator has the rear axle placement on the chain stays which is then connected directly to the mainframe. The seat stays and rocker linkage of the Kona Operator only serve to control the compression of the shock. It may be a four bar linkage, but it is still in effect a single pivot. The Norco Aurum has the rear axel connected to the seat stays, and is not directly connected to the mainframe.

Linkage Activated Single Pivot: (rear axle on chain stays)

FSR/Horst Link Suspension: (rear axle on seat stays)

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Ah I see. Interesting. Half way through reading your reply I began to understand what you mean, the rear wheel path relative to the frame of a Kona bike is in effect the same path as a single pivot would have.

I stand corrected and thank you for enlightening me. :)

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Ah I see. Interesting. Half way through reading your reply I began to understand what you mean, the rear wheel path relative to the frame of a Kona bike is in effect the same path as a single pivot would have.

I stand corrected and thank you for enlightening me. :)
Haha yeah I hope I helped. I'm no expert on suspension, I'll leave those shenanigans to S. and the other engineering geeks.:eek:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good looking bike this is.. If the geo and linkage are done right it will definitely be a winner!

JASKE2

Likes Bikes
it looks like the price is around $5350 just a guess as you can see what looks to be a price tag in the first picture

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I like the Truax, but frames that don't meet at the headtube look just a little bit off to me. That was put very basic, but you get it.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
The top of the range model is $9500 CAD! Hopefully (but not likely) we get prices similar to the US where the bike has a listed price of $7350 USD - which for the spec would be a pretty good price in Oz.
Spec list froth: