2012 Norco Aurum DH

needaride

Likes Dirt
The placement of the rear axle in relation to the rear wheel determines the whether the suspension is FSR or a single pivot. The Kona Operator has the rear axle placement on the chain stays which is then connected directly to the mainframe. The seat stays and rocker linkage of the Kona Operator only serve to control the compression of the shock. It may be a four bar linkage, but it is still in effect a single pivot. The Norco Aurum has the rear axel connected to the seat stays, and is not directly connected to the mainframe.

Linkage Activated Single Pivot: (rear axle on chain stays)

FSR/Horst Link Suspension: (rear axle on seat stays)

Thanks for putting that up mate, interesting stuff.

driftking

Wheel size expert
http://dirt.mpora.com/uncategorized/2012-norco-product-launch.html

snip from article

"Uniquely on the Aurum however every size in the range has an individually sized rear-to-centre and front-to-centre balance as well as slightly tailored suspension kinematics to match. This means each size (small medium and Large) have exactly the same performance characteristics so the ride is not compromised to scale the design up or down"

Hopefully we will see all manufacturers following suit and designing each size frame around the suspension to give a equally balanced ride no matter what size you are on.
Awesome move by norco.

Last edited:

mcbeath94

Likes Bikes
I wonder if it will come with any hardware that can convert the 157mm rear end to 150 like the Trek Session 9.9 does?

joshrides

Likes Dirt
The top of the range model is $9500 CAD! Hopefully (but not likely) we get prices similar to the US where the bike has a listed price of $7350 USD - which for the spec would be a pretty good price in Oz.
7350 is around 6600 AUS currently.

If we can get those prices i will be purchasing one of these in the new year aswell.

Last edited:

Korune

Likes Dirt
umm, ok so I couldn't really be bothered reading the whole thread, but I did notice a lot of people a saying they look like treks, which I'll admit, they kind of do...

So anyway, would people rather the trek or the norco ??? I've always liked Norco DH bikes, no matter what anyone says about them, and this one just looks even better than previous models... spec seems a bit higher to the trek too, and similar price range, maybe a slightly better build??? definately better colour scheme...

what are other peoples thoughts ???

rone

Eats Squid
umm, ok so I couldn't really be bothered reading the whole thread, but I did notice a lot of people a saying they look like treks, which I'll admit, they kind of do...

So anyway, would people rather the trek or the norco ??? I've always liked Norco DH bikes, no matter what anyone says about them, and this one just looks even better than previous models... spec seems a bit higher to the trek too, and similar price range, maybe a slightly better build??? definately better colour scheme...

what are other peoples thoughts ???
The answers you seek lie in the thread you didn't just read.

More effort required. C-

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I am bringing this thread back from the dead (sorry?) -

For someone new to DH specs, does anyone have thoughts on the comparison between the Glory 0 and the Aurum 1 (same retail cost). I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of each assuming the same price.

***Aurum***
fork Rockshox Boxxer R2C2 CL 200 mm
rear shock Rockshox Vivid Coil R2C
grips Norco lock on grips
handlebar Easton Havoc DH bar 760 mm
stem Easton Havoc bolt on direct mount
seat post Norco Lite two bolt seattpost
saddle WTB Silverado Race SL
Brakes Avid Elixer 9 disc brake with 200 mm rotor
Shifter Sram X 9 rear 10 speed shifter
Derailleur SRAM XO DH short cage
Cassette Sram PG-1070 Cassette 10 speed 11-28T
Chain Sram PC 1051 10 speed chain
Crank set Truvativ Decendant DH single 36T 83 mm shell
Chain Guide E-13 LG 1 chainguide with Taco
Pedals Black Spire low profile flat pedal
Hubs Sun Jumping Flea , 20 mm Front and 12x157 Rear
rims Sun Inferno 29 welded rim
tires Maxxis Minion DHF 26 x 2.50

***Glory***
Frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 8” travel
Fork RockShox Boxxer R2C2 w/20mm Maxle DH 8”/203mm
Shock RockShox Vivid R2C
Handlebar Giant Contact oversize alloy 750mm x 19mm rise
Grips Giant lock-on
Stem Giant Contact DH oversize alloy, direct mount, 40-55mm adj. extension
Seat Post Giant Contact oversize alloy micro-adjust 30.9
Saddle Fi’zi:k Tundra w/K:ium rail
Shifters SRAM X-0 trigger shift 10 sp
Front Derailleur NA
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-0 10 sp
Brakes AVID Code hydraulic w/8” front & 7” rear rotors
Brake Levers AVID Code 7 hydraulic
Cassette SRAM PG1070 10 sp 11-26T
Chain SRAM PC1071 10 sp
Crankset Truvativ Descendant 36T
Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP integrated, outboard
Shift/Chain Guide MRP G2 Mini SL
Rims DT Swiss EX500 disc 26” x 32H w/eyelets
Hubs DT Swiss 240s: 20mm front, 12x150mm rear#
Spokes DT Competition 14/15G butted stainless w/alloy nipples
Tyres Schwalbe Muddy Mary, EVO DH, 26x2.5
Other Giant alloy 12x150mm rear through axle

jrewing

Eats Squid
Bryn rides an Aurum now...some really ugly welsh kid who loves sardines rides a glory..

personally i'd go the aurum.

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
I am bringing this thread back from the dead (sorry?) -

For someone new to DH specs, does anyone have thoughts on the comparison between the Glory 0 and the Aurum 1 (same retail cost). I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of each assuming the same price.

***Aurum***
fork Rockshox Boxxer R2C2 CL 200 mm
rear shock Rockshox Vivid Coil R2C
grips Norco lock on grips
handlebar Easton Havoc DH bar 760 mm
stem Easton Havoc bolt on direct mount
seat post Norco Lite two bolt seattpost
saddle WTB Silverado Race SL
Brakes Avid Elixer 9 disc brake with 200 mm rotor
Shifter Sram X 9 rear 10 speed shifter
Derailleur SRAM XO DH short cage
Cassette Sram PG-1070 Cassette 10 speed 11-28T
Chain Sram PC 1051 10 speed chain
Crank set Truvativ Decendant DH single 36T 83 mm shell
Chain Guide E-13 LG 1 chainguide with Taco
Pedals Black Spire low profile flat pedal
Hubs Sun Jumping Flea , 20 mm Front and 12x157 Rear
rims Sun Inferno 29 welded rim
tires Maxxis Minion DHF 26 x 2.50

***Glory***
Frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 8” travel
Fork RockShox Boxxer R2C2 w/20mm Maxle DH 8”/203mm
Shock RockShox Vivid R2C
Handlebar Giant Contact oversize alloy 750mm x 19mm rise
Grips Giant lock-on
Stem Giant Contact DH oversize alloy, direct mount, 40-55mm adj. extension
Seat Post Giant Contact oversize alloy micro-adjust 30.9
Saddle Fi’zi:k Tundra w/K:ium rail
Shifters SRAM X-0 trigger shift 10 sp
Front Derailleur NA
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-0 10 sp
Brakes AVID Code hydraulic w/8” front & 7” rear rotors
Brake Levers AVID Code 7 hydraulic
Cassette SRAM PG1070 10 sp 11-26T
Chain SRAM PC1071 10 sp
Crankset Truvativ Descendant 36T
Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP integrated, outboard
Shift/Chain Guide MRP G2 Mini SL
Rims DT Swiss EX500 disc 26” x 32H w/eyelets
Hubs DT Swiss 240s: 20mm front, 12x150mm rear#
Spokes DT Competition 14/15G butted stainless w/alloy nipples
Tyres Schwalbe Muddy Mary, EVO DH, 26x2.5
Other Giant alloy 12x150mm rear through axle
Both very similar in terms of spec and weight. Have owned the previous 2010 and 2011 glorys and they ride great. In the same position as you at the moment tossing up between 2012 glory0 or aurum1 or whatever else, havent ridden the new aurum though. I'd prefer the codes on the glory to the elixers on the aurum, however on the glory ive destroyed those dt ex500 rims before without much effort as have many others that ive seen on rotorburn. Not sure about running the 240 hubs either on the glory either as they are intended as a bit lighter xc hub. I cant speak for the sun wheelset on the aurum as i havent used it before but the rim is a similar weight to the dt ex500 (sun inferno29 is only 20g heavier and is therefore probably also an enduro rim like the DT rather than a DH rim). You would be fine with either based on the price you can get one for, but if you are riding a lot of rough tracks or are hard on your bikes then maybe think about a more heavy duty wheelset on whichever one you go for.
My opinion anyway.
cheers

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Spec is so close.
SO comes down to the frame in my mind. From memory the Aurum is slacker whereas the Glory tends to be a great all rounder. But not sure how they actually handle in comparison (particularly the Aurum is a bit unknown). So riding style and bike type preferences are probably the key.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide and what the Aurum is like if you get one.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I'd probably go with the Aurum purely based on the FSR linkage and slacker angles. I'm not a huge fan of the way Glory's feel and the spec is only slightly better.

Myad

Likes Bikes
It's really good, I love the yellow one but it would be a challenge to keep clean ;) still has that norco look without looking old