VIC 2012 Victorian Enduro Series - Website now live!

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,
it's saying now $55 per entry.... why is it getting dearer??? what a load of shit.......... I don't really care about winning a bike i wouldn't ride let alone buy....

I understand it's only $5, but every other round is $50 each.....

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,
it's saying now $55 per entry.... why is it getting dearer??? <snip>

I understand it's only $5, but every other round is $50 each.....
From the entry website:

Fundraising Raffle - AWMTB Trail Fund

Thanks to our Major Event Sponsor - Pushy's Albury and JetBlack Products, we will be running a special raffle to raise funds for current AWMTB trail projects. JetBlack have kindly donated a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Wheels in either 26 or 29 inch.

Every race entrant will automatically get a ticket into this lucky dip, and additional tickets are available with your online entry for only another $5. So - dig deep, know that every cent goes straight into building new MTB trails for the whole community, and maybe win yourself a spanking new set of wheels as well!
The $5 increase buys you a ticket into the raffle above, and the $5 goes directly into our trail building fund. AWMTB has a couple of new trail projects on the go, where we are building trails for the whole community. Even if we only make a few bucks out of the raffle, every cent helps. Our trail projects run on the sniff of an oily rag - we don't receive any external funding for new trails - so your $5 will make a massive difference.

akashra

Eats Squid
It's the principle, Ant. There were always standards set for things like event start times, event entry fees, and certain other levels of service. What a club requires when hosting a race to allow their race to remain profitable within that $50 per entry is discretionary and up to them to decide. If they want to cut way back on the service and risk the wrath of angry mountain bikers but make a huge profit, that's their decision. Same if you want to tip $ in to trail maintenance as part of the event, that's up to you, but it needs to come out of the event organiser budget. What next, you want to pass on the parks capitation fee, a clubs MTB affiliation, oh, you want first aid, that'll be an extra $3/each too?

The figure was set to be standard across the series. Then again, in the last 18 months in particular the entire book has just been completely thrown out on many of these - once upon a time there was the idea to get away from this idea of it just being a heap of random club races slapped together with the name 'series' across it bearing no resemblance to one another.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
From the entry website:

The $5 increase buys you a ticket into the raffle above, and the $5 goes directly into our trail building fund. AWMTB has a couple of new trail projects on the go, where we are building trails for the whole community. Even if we only make a few bucks out of the raffle, every cent helps. Our trail projects run on the sniff of an oily rag - we don't receive any external funding for new trails - so your $5 will make a massive difference.

I tend to agree with the others , Your club is either in the series or out of the series. If it is in the series then why not abide by the standard set.
Your club runs a great event, and most riders would be happy to donate $5 at the event to a raffle, your are in danger of coming across as a bit sneaky not giving riders a choice.

I have often felt a bit ripped when an event charges me extra money for parking that was not mentioned on any of the entry info.

Why not drop the charge and just promote the raffle at the event. seems a more workable option

They also said there would be no CARBON tax! :distrust:
Things change, in the end we have no say and have to pay!
At least this is going to a better cause than the Carbon Inputs!
Sorry my dig at the lies continually being sold by the pollies at the moment!

akashra

Eats Squid
It's okay, the point of carbon is to keep the weight down. At $25/tonne, your carbon Stumpy frame is going to cost you 6c.

Ohhhh, you mean it's not that kind of carbon tax? Hrm. Okay suddenly this carbon tax thing isn't sounding so great if the intent isn't to bring us back parity in competitiveness :(

Knut

Troll hunter
Single Speed Category next year?

Do you think we could have Teams 40+ and Solo Singlespeed next year? I know that we culled a few cat's back a few years ago, but would like to get some feedback.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Do you think we could have Teams 40+ and Solo Singlespeed next year? I know that we culled a few cat's back a few years ago, but would like to get some feedback.
I actually think we already have too many categories.
Eg. triple mixed 40+, triple men 40+?

Are there even enough teams for those categories to be competitive?

akashra

Eats Squid
Numbers should come before categories. It baffles me that at some events we'll have 70 riders in the solo male category, while we give the 40+ solos their own category for 20 of them, and you'll have a 40+ teams category of four teams. Categories should be split where the numbers first warrant them. When we plow through demographics and can see a sufficient number having entered that might make up a suitable competitive category, that's when spits should be looked at. Not because you get some whiny 41yo sandbagger going "oh, I can't compete with these 30 year olds... but hey, I can use that argument to get myself free loot!", which is BS. Just ask Misters Lopes and Juarez.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I understand where you're coming from Tim. To be perfectly honest, I'm happy enough competing in the 40+ category against all the gearies. I like a challenge. And whilst I am yet to take a win, I've been close a number of times so I'll keep trying.

I think 6 entrants is enough to warrant a category. But obviously the more categories, the higher the overall cost to the club.

It looked like numbers were down significantly last week at Beaconsfield. What were the category entrant summaries?

serowe

Likes Dirt
I understand where you're coming from Tim. To be perfectly honest, I'm happy enough competing in the 40+ category against all the gearies. I like a challenge. And whilst I am yet to take a win, I've been close a number of times so I'll keep trying.

I think 6 entrants is enough to warrant a category. But obviously the more categories, the higher the overall cost to the club.

It looked like numbers were down significantly last week at Beaconsfield. What were the category entrant summaries?
76 solo and teams all up http://www.dirtridersmtb.com/downlo...FRock%20Hop%202012%20Category%20results.pdf:0 or 118 riders in total

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'd rather see the dropping of age categories and A B and C grade cats put in place.
You could do it with teams too. Just put all teams together and then rank them.
But you'll still get the same baggers I think.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
+1 on SS category.
Why should there be a SS category?

Unlike age, which you can't choose, you choose to ride a SS. If its not competitive then ride a geared bike. You shouldn't be rewarded for a silly decision. Next you'll want 26" and 29" categories!