2013 Golden Triangle Epic 28th April

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Great race today, thanks to all the bendigo MTB crew for putting on an awesome event.

Popped my 100km MTB cherry

johndh

Likes Dirt
I have emailed out the results and they will go onto our website soon, we had number of computer issues on the day, so they are as close as I can get them.
Hope riders enjoyed the new tracks and the event?

Katdog

Likes Bikes
I have emailed out the results and they will go onto our website soon, we had number of computer issues on the day, so they are as close as I can get them.
Hope riders enjoyed the new tracks and the event?
Congratulations to you and the Bendigo crew on a fantastic event!

I did the 50km and everything just seemed to work really well
- Great venue, great vibe and really well set up with seating, showers, easy access etc
- Fantastic trails (and I wouldn’t have known there were “new” trails unless you’d said so)
- The course was well marked (and it was nice to be reassured every now and then on the longer stretches that I was still on course)
- Hero dirt!
- No traffic issues at all from where I was thanks to the staggered start
- I love that you have a 15km event
- Having pizza and coffee was spot on for food
- I thought you did well with the timing of the presentations even though only 2 of the 100 milers were finished, a lot of people were looking pretty ready to leave

The only thing I would suggest is having women’s size t-shirts (if possible).

SteveG

Likes Bikes
I thought it was a great event also. I did the 100 km race. The new sections of the track had definitely bedded in better second time around. Werethe photographers on the track official photographers, and if so where will the photo's be available? Cheers.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
How'd ya go Fletch?
hey Quiggs,

Paced myself pretty well, stacked on the 1st lap on a muddy corner, stopped to drink and eat at the feed stops and 1/2 way mark. Was a different track to last yr, heaps more fun single track lots of twists and turns, up and down and of course rocks, really enjoyed it. Apparently was in 3rd place in the Super masters unbeknowst to me at the 80km feed station, but had to strech and eat and 4th snuck through, although by then wasnt much left in the tank. Riding time off my garmin was 6:17:40 for 103km which I didnt start until 2 or 3 km into race. followed your advice, so thanks for that.

Will be back again next year for sure, now I know what I'm dealing with.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Congratulations to you and the Bendigo crew on a fantastic event!

I did the 50km and everything just seemed to work really well
- Great venue, great vibe and really well set up with seating, showers, easy access etc
- Fantastic trails (and I wouldn’t have known there were “new” trails unless you’d said so)
- The course was well marked (and it was nice to be reassured every now and then on the longer stretches that I was still on course)
- Hero dirt!
- No traffic issues at all from where I was thanks to the staggered start
- I love that you have a 15km event
- Having pizza and coffee was spot on for food
- I thought you did well with the timing of the presentations even though only 2 of the 100 milers were finished, a lot of people were looking pretty ready to leave

The only thing I would suggest is having women’s size t-shirts (if possible).

yup +1 to the above from a 50km racer here. Really fun day, how good were the pizzas! The post-ride shower was awesome as well. I'd definitely race that event again.

Only minor area of improvement. At about the 19-20km mark, I was at the bottom of a fast downhill rough section and I could see what I thought was some debris (branches or large pile of leaves, etc) near a tree. To go around it I could go either left or right. I chose "left". After about 30-45 seconds "something" felt wrong (ie I suspected I was going the wrong way). I turned around back to the area and saw an arrow which you could only see if you went to the "right". Cost me about 90 seconds , but didn't cost me a podium so I am not too worried :)

Spoke to a couple of guys (parked next to me in the carpark) after the race and told them what I did - they got lost in exactly the same spot. Other then that, signage was great.

BTW kudos to whoever it was (race organiser?) that lent their bike to the guy whose rear wheel was ruined on the way up to the race (same guy I spoke to who got lost in the same spot as me). The guy had his bike on a rear mounted bike carrier and the heat from his exhaust warped his brand new carbon rim!! One thing to look out!

Oh yes I got a men's size "S" but it's a pretty large sized "S" :)

johndh

Likes Dirt
The t were a large size, not bad quality material though, I have a couple of xxxl t shirts left over that could fit a "big brother" contestant.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The t were a large size, not bad quality material though, I have a couple of xxxl t shirts left over that could fit a "big brother" contestant.
forward them to the "biggest loser" TV show - They must be sick of the red and blue colours :)

monc

Likes Dirt
Great race, fantastic track, very engaging, I even appreciated the flat boring bit along the water race as I was really struggling at that point second time around.

My first effort at 100km, so pretty pleased to finish, especially after a stoopid crash onto my head about 3 km into my second lap meant having to go back to transition for a replacement helmet to keep going. Between that and a leaky front tyre I had nearly an hour of non-productive time on top my my moving time in the race. Something to aim to reduce next year, as well as a lot more training!